Tank design

chtan23

Hi All,

Would like to seek your opinion or suggestion on choose the tank design. I'm planning to setup a 5ft tank, diemension shows in the picture. The tank will be against the wall and only front view. But I cannot decide whether to go for

1. a tank with the overflow at a corner with circulation pump expose

or

2. partition the tank and hide all the circulation pump

With option 1, I will have a full 5ft front view, but need to hide the pump and overflow compartment in the rear corner with rocks.

With option 2, The front view looks a bit wierd and the length becomes 4ft +, also save money on light as 4ft will do.

Please give me your opinion and suggestion. Thanks!

post-6-1134375902.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro

U mean u not going to have a sump? Please think twice as a sump is definitely an essential thing for marine tank.

I have made a big mistake before by having a marine tank without sump.. End up spending so much more $ to improve the setup...

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

Well there are more thinking required...

How high of a return rate u are going for? Cause it will affect all your pipe size and overflow box size too.

2nd, base on your diagram you planning to have a return pipe in the mid of the tank sticking out from the overflow box. Bad idea why cause think of what will happen if power cut and wate flow back to the sump. A checkvalve will help but it got it's disadv and may prode to failure.

3rd, Do use sump if you are not thing of using it as this can house all your other equipment e.g. skimmer, carbon or any filter system.

4th, Why use circulation pump when you can use Tunze steam which is more powerful. Just go for a TS24 and then place it with LR hiding it will do.

Above are some of my though. No affend :D