my 3ft

godzillaliu88

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

sorry. forgot to resize.

in my LRs. when i go 'night diving' with my tourch light. i can see a few worms coming out of the rocks. i call em aliens.

there's also lil crabs. including a hairy 1. creepy man. aliens huant my tank at night. in fine with the crabs. but the worms... will they harm ?

• SRC Member

:blink: No chiller !?

Wats ur avg temp ?

The tank in an air con room?

Usually hard corals are kept in

temp below 26 deg.

Worms are good cleaners but best

is if U can take them out.

Been told that when they grow bigger,

they eat corals for breakfast.

Be careful of bristle worms that can sting.

• SRC Member

:blink: 28 DEG !!!

Please take out the hammer & give

it to someone else. U are just killing it.

The worm U talking about....

U sure its worm!?

Might be mantis shrimp since U said the

head look like prawn. If it is, U better get it out.

I suggest U read a bit more on the stuff U wanna

put inside your tank. The temp is very restricting.

Get a fan or 2nd chiller if U wanna stay w/ corals.

Fan worm & fish no prob but corals a bit prob.

Mushies still can lah.

Just my 2 cents.

• SRC Member

I don't think that the temperature is necessarily a big factor in this case. 28 degree celcius is actually bearable for most corals but i think the bigger issue here is your knowledge of reefing.

And forgive me if this post may offend you (that is not my intention i assure you) but from the looks of it, u need to do a lot more reading up on the livestock you keep or intend to keep. And also on the necessary setup equipment required in maintaining a healthy reef. I for one am not an advocate of expensive equipment but there are some things that are just necessary for you to maintain a reef tank.

First off, what lightings are you using for the tank? I can't tell but am willing to bet that they're just normal flourescent tubes. If so, then they're definately not sufficient for the tank...let alone for anemones. FYI, most of your so called corals are in actual fact anemones and they are not corals but animals, which explains why they move so much....also mainly cos they are probably not getting enough light (read up on why light is so necessary for corals and anemones...)

So first things first, upgrade your lights if you want to keep ur tank inhabitants alive...especially the anemones. As for the upgrade, there isn't a necessary need to go for Metal halides (MH) as the tank is pretty shallow...i'm guessing 1.5 feet. If that's the case, a good set of T5 tubes will do just fine, 2 first and preferably 4 if you can afford it. (Look around the Pasar Malam as there are a few reefers selling em second hand)

Secondly, check your parameters with test kits. Most ppl here would highly suggest a good proteim skimmer but i am of the belief that if you keep close watch of your parameters, livestock and do your regular maintenance, you can do without one for your tank size. But also in saying that, a good protein skimmer will save you a whole lotta headache and unnecessary stress.

Thirdly, go do more reading on the current livestock that you have...and to try and save your anemones, try and feed them small chunks of market prawns to try and strengthen them up a lil. They aren't doing too well in your current tank conditions.

Lastly, don't be discouraged by any possible negative comments that you may receive through the forum threads etc....with the bad also comes the good and there are many reefers here who are more than willing to lend a helping hand so ask questions and learn as you go along.

I hope you don't take this response the wrong way and hopefully you've learn something that can help you improve the state or ur current tank.

cheers...

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
thanks for the comments. i'll improve on it. the light i bought, "coral blue light" printed on it. 20W.

Yes...20 watts are just normal flourescent bulbs...u definately want to upgrade the lighting. Check out the pasar malam or our sponsor threads for deals on T5-HO lighting....HO basically stands for High Output which puts out more wattage of light than regular T5 bulbs.

As for the anemone...good to hear that ur feeding them...keep it up till u get better lighting...in fact keep the feeding up even after u upgrade your lighting...till they are healthier.

cheers and happy reefing ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

I do agree with bro southpaw on these.

Bro God... Do read up more on SRC. You will learn alot of things in here. Don't rush to buy whatever is available in the LFS. Get your tank system running first. Water parameters are critical in reefing. And of coz, your commitment and weekly maintaence contribute that too.

Also, if you have any doubts...you can check with us or PM us!

Hope these helps! :D

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

hi all, my 3ft thread will be coming alive soon in march.

saved up $ n gonna do a 'extreme make over' for my lousy set up tank.

i've bought a zoo recently. sieo 620 n 820. more LRs. cleared up some bristle worms n crabs, will clear more. got my T5s, waitin to be fixed up.

all this comin up in march. :lol:

i know bro Qxnviolet cant wait to see my tank. :lol:

to all: it's gonna look betta than before.