advise on protein skimmer for a 1 ft tank

clkong

• SRC Member

Hi, need advise on protein skimmer for a 1 ft tank.

I do not have a sump, I prefer a external protein for the following reasons:

1) increase water volume (hope it does!)

2) bigger and more effective skimmer

3) the return outlet can provide water current to the 1 ft tank

Please advise do we have such gadget for 1 ft tank? ( i saw alot are for sump and bigger tank) and where can i get it?

Thank u

• SRC Member

Nope pump sold seperately.....just want to ask wouldent a airstone skimmer would be enough for a small tank.Even if you buy a weprio the pump will take up space as well as the skimmer.

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

• SRC Member

The smallest weprio skimmer i know is the SA-2011.And i think is the only suitable one even though it also quite large.And the pump for weiprio iis expensive.

AG_fishjumping.gif

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

• SRC Member
Nope pump sold seperately.....just want to ask wouldent a airstone skimmer would be enough for a small tank.Even if you buy a weprio the pump will take up space as well as the skimmer.

i already have a internal airstone skimmer, just checking for alternative for the reasons stated earlier.

• SRC Member
The smallest weprio skimmer i know is the SA-2011.And i think is the only suitable one even though it also quite large.And the pump for weiprio iis expensive.

can i use any other pump, i have one small pump, 4W, but not sure abt the flowrate, enough to drive water out of the tank

is there a minimum flowrate for SA-2011 to function effectively?

Hi, need advise on protein skimmer for a 1 ft tank.

I do not have a sump, I prefer a external protein for the following reasons:

1) increase water volume (hope it does!)

2) bigger and more effective skimmer

3) the return outlet can provide water current to the 1 ft tank

Please advise do we have such gadget for 1 ft tank? ( i saw alot are for sump and bigger tank) and where can i get it?

Thank u

Have seen in LFS those hang on filter for 1ft tank. It includes an internal pump, small compartment for placing filter sponge/carbon and integrated with a skimmer on it.

Small, compact & different sizes. Increase the water volume alittle and outlet create some flow on the water surface. Effectiveness not as gd as hang on skimmer but with regular water change it shld suffice.

As for price, i never notice/ask . Saw it at pasir ris fish farm and yishun aquastar.

• SRC Member

Hi bro clkong, u k try Prizm skimmer which is an external protein skimmer... k put biohome inside also plus dnt take up space... a 1feet tank is really small... getting weipro or macro will take up a lot of space...btw i recommend at least a 3feet tank for marine...i right now have a 2 feet tank with sump tank... regretted not starting with a 3 feet which i think is the minimum for marine tank... a 1 feet tank would be very hard to manage though it k be done...just a 1cent worth of opinion....

• SRC Member
Hi bro clkong, u k try Prizm skimmer which is an external protein skimmer... k put biohome inside also plus dnt take up space... a 1feet tank is really small... getting weipro or macro will take up a lot of space...btw i recommend at least a 3feet tank for marine...i right now have a 2 feet tank with sump tank... regretted not starting with a 3 feet which i think is the minimum for marine tank... a 1 feet tank would be very hard to manage though it k be done...just a 1cent worth of opinion....

do u have the model on Prizm skimmer for 1 ft ?

thanks for the advise, my actual plan is to have at least a 3 ft marine for my new house (only ready by sep 2006), can't set up at my current house as shifting will be a big problem later

at the mean time, try to gain my knowledge thru 1 ft setup first b4 going for something big, yes understand that 1 ft is more difficult, will ensure that i have proper planning b4 starting

• SRC Member

Air driven skimmer is enough. If you want to buy a skimmer driven by a pump I suggest not. Since it is only a 1ft heat generated from the pump will have a big impact on your livestocks.

I use an air driven skimmer plus hang on filter for my 2ft. I do my water change every 2 weeks.

Hope this helps. Good luck and regards.

• SRC Member

can i use any other pump, i have one small pump, 4W, but not sure abt the flowrate, enough to drive water out of the tank

is there a minimum flowrate for SA-2011 to function effectively?

If you can pump water in, water will come out. :)

A sticker on the 2011 says 300G/h;

• SRC Member

do u have the model on Prizm skimmer for 1 ft ?

thanks for the advise, my actual plan is to have at least a 3 ft marine for my new house (only ready by sep 2006), can't set up at my current house as shifting will be a big problem later

at the mean time, try to gain my knowledge thru 1 ft setup first b4 going for something big, yes understand that 1 ft is more difficult, will ensure that i have proper planning b4 starting

u are welcome bro..anyway Prizm skimmer is not cheap...if u buy the smallest model now... when u upgrade to 3 feet tank in another 9mths time... it would be inadequate for the new tank... so a bit of waste money and effort... btw i suggest that since its a 1 feet tank... juz do weekly abt 2litres of water change would be enough and keep the LS low (max 2 fishes)... easier said than done... :lol: very hard to resist temptation to add fishes... i know ...cos i also kind of overstock my 2 feet tank :lol: so its gd to hear that u going to start off a 3feet next yr... gd luck bro... :rolleyes: its certainly an expensive hobby

yah btw if can... dnt even add in a air driven skimmer in yr 1 feet... (skimmers are gd..100%..but for such a small tank...a small air driven skimmer in it also took up a lot of space...I tried it b4 for my friend set up...look bad... though its gd..such is the constraint of a small tank... kind of like u are keeping equipment in water than keeping fishes...haha...juz my $0.00001 worth of opinion...)

• SRC Member

u are welcome bro..anyway Prizm skimmer is not cheap...if u buy the smallest model now... when u upgrade to 3 feet tank in another 9mths time... it would be inadequate for the new tank... so a bit of waste money and effort... btw i suggest that since its a 1 feet tank... juz do weekly abt 2litres of water change would be enough and keep the LS low (max 2 fishes)... easier said than done... :lol: very hard to resist temptation to add fishes... i know ...cos i also kind of overstock my 2 feet tank :lol: so its gd to hear that u going to start off a 3feet next yr... gd luck bro... :rolleyes: its certainly an expensive hobby

yah btw if can... dnt even add in a air driven skimmer in yr 1 feet... (skimmers are gd..100%..but for such a small tank...a small air driven skimmer in it also took up a lot of space...I tried it b4 for my friend set up...look bad... though its gd..such is the constraint of a small tank... kind of like u are keeping equipment in water than keeping fishes...haha...juz my $0.00001 worth of opinion...)

my 1 ft have a foam partition, i m hidding my air driven skimmer behind it, therefore look wise no issue,

dun intend to have fishes yet, will follow the below stages, only if one stage is okay then proceed to the next

1) get low NO3 level

2) keep mushrooms, zoos

3) introduce my aglae crews (guess i should have some algae problem at this stage)

4) keep soft coral

5) LPS (hopefully)

i guess that should take me about 4-6 months, and then lastly

2 fire fish

what do u all think?

• SRC Member

You won't get past the first stage, esp 1 ft tank.

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member

Personally, 1 ft tank ....

these is what i do...get a air driven bubble skimmer to sustain the protein skimming.

and perform regular water change to keep NO3 down.

These will Solve your problems on heat created by weipro pump etc

etc....

Also, control your feedings , dun let NO3 climb... hope these helps! :D

• SRC Member
Personally, 1 ft tank ....

these is what i do...get a air driven bubble skimmer to sustain the protein skimming.

and perform regular water change to keep NO3 down.

These will Solve your problems on heat created by weipro pump etc

etc....

Also, control your feedings , dun let NO3 climb... hope these helps! :D

will try see how bad is the NO3 level, then adapt the water change accordingly

will have a cooling fan to cool down the temp, so far the highest temp for my planted tank is 28, don't know any diff for salt water? higher or lower?

As for water evaporation, have a simple DIY water dripping to top up the water (still looking for a better way to do that)

As for feeding, as mentioned, no fish and no worry initially,

but to test up the BioLoad, will throw in foods to test up the reading

• SRC Member
I used to have a nano tank that run on a $8 hang on skimmer,I change the air-stone to a sanderwood,it works very well producing very fine bubble ;)

agreed that cos now running another 2 feet tank with air bubble skimmer... ;)

• SRC Member

Yup cheap..but dun use it for bigger tanks as you have to do massive water change to keep good water paremeters.

Now i myself have decided to use the weiprio skimmer a kind reefer gave to me.

AG_fishjumping.gif

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L