Mantis Shrimp In Action.

fnscasey

• SRC Member

Yesterday found my skunk shrimp dead, thought it was molting at first.

Before this i found something looking like two antenna(should be eye looking ard) inside a hole in the LR. So when my skunk shrimp found dead, i used it as a bait to lure the creature in a distance away.

To my horror, wow i found something(should be a mantis shrimp) long in body about 5cm, body still inside the hole(might be even longer) and back into the hole with the dead shrimp !!

Still cannot believe my eyes !! My skunk shrimp has been inside the tank for a month before this happened.What should i do to catch the mantis shrimp out from the tank ? Cos mine is only a 2gallon tank, should i take out my whole LR put inside a plastic container & lure the mantis shrimp out ? The mantis shrimp is really creepy!!!!!

• SRC Member

Just to be safe , I suggest you take the LR out and and lure it out. :D but then you might have to wait quite a while before this pest decides to vacate it's premises! ;) When I found one in mine , I took the whole LR out and cracked it opened with a hammer. I was furious because of the trouble it took me to catch it :lol: If your shrimp got sucked in that way then it must be a mantis shrimp and the eyes from the LR is no mistake! I certainly agree they're creepy little things!!!!! :D

• SRC Member

Finally kill the creepy guy !! dunk it to freshwater with calcium & come shooting out within a few seconds. Guess my LR is free from mantis shrimp, right ? Maybe this is the disadvantge of buying a cured LR ! Should i throw away the LR, scared it might lay eggs inside LR ?

Does dipping in freshwater for few mintues then start cycling the LR in a pail of SW before introduces to the tank helps to get rid of these mantis shrimp ? Will they lay eggs inside LR and hence give birth after i cycled the LR ?

Found that my LR has lots of holes if a LR has mantis shrimp !! Maybe next time be more careful with the selection of LR.

Finally kill the creepy guy !! dunk it to freshwater with calcium & come shooting out within a few seconds. Guess my LR is free from mantis shrimp, right ? Maybe this is the disadvantge of buying a cured LR ! Should i throw away the LR, scared it might lay eggs inside LR ?

Does dipping in freshwater for few mintues then start cycling the LR in a pail of SW before introduces to the tank helps to get rid of these mantis shrimp ? Will they lay eggs inside LR and hence give birth after i cycled the LR ?

Found that my LR has lots of holes if a LR has mantis shrimp !! Maybe next time be more careful with the selection of LR.

:huh: Are you referring to Uncured Live Rocks? Coz they are definitely safer.