Need advise on the Ca, KH and KW

clkong

• SRC Member

Hi all Seniors,

I want to keep some LPS, need advise on the Ca, KH and KW?

Any recommendation on product/ways to increase CA and KH (not going to have Calcium reactor)? Any supplements that have both elements?

Read some articles that mention KW are used for maintaining Ca and KH? What do we mean by maintaining? Do we have to increase Ca and Kh first then apply KW to maintain?

Any other things other than Ca, KH and KW that I should take note of to keep LPS (other than Ammonia, NO2, NO3, water temp, light)?

Thank u.

• SRC Member

Ca - Calcium is source to maintain a proper reef. KH - (Carbonate Hardness) is alkalinity which is generally affected by dosing Ca. KW- Kalkwasser is chalk, i.e calcium carbonate.

Reefer generally uses KW dosing calcium to the reef, as it is more cost effective. But you will need a dripper minimal, if without calium reactor. You do not add KW directly to Reef. KW reacts with reef water, to produce calcium. Calcium required 350 - 450 ppm, so you use either calcium by the bottle or KW to acheive that. Test Kit needed to measure that. Maintain at that level by KW other wise liquid calcium.

Other stuff, I find essential is iodide. Magnesium is required if you want massive coraline algae.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Any recommendation on product/ways to increase CA and KH (not going to have Calcium reactor)? Any supplements that have both elements?

Kalkwasser has both in equal amounts.

Read some articles that mention KW are used for maintaining Ca and KH? What do we mean by maintaining? Do we have to increase Ca and Kh first then apply KW to maintain?

kalk contain ca & kh in equal ratio 1:1 and is balanced , when coral build skeletons(growth) it uses up in ratio- 1 calcium & 2 kh (carbonate).

You don't have to increase anything if you don't know which to increase, you need frequent water changes.

You need test kits to know which you need.

Simple use is kalk(kw) as a supplement and only add CA or KH additives when you need them(e.g a certain parameter drops in measurement)

Any other things other than Ca, KH and KW that I should take note of to keep LPS (other than Ammonia, NO2, NO3, water temp, light)?

once the tank is cycled-for water you need to track the basic NO3,Temp, pH, KH, Calcium and Phosphate.

ammonia/nitrite should not be issues(or it means your tank has not fully cycled)