Is Scallops considered under this topic ?

gunzo

Hi bros,

Just wondering, for those who have kept this bi-valve b4..

How long do they manage to thrive in a closed system?

Mine disintegrate already. It deteriorate as each days pass untill

a stage where both shells are not able to close properly, tentacles

also becomming shorter. Hope to hear from those who have kept this

scallop sucessfully. cheers.

• SRC Member

I have been keeping mine for around 2-3 mths already and is still doing great now. I cannot really say I have successfully keep this species of scallop cos you all know they live for years in the wild!

wat I do know is that these scallops need tanks with good flow all around the tank and are best when you let them find their own spot( and hopefully stay there ) and now make them go to a place you like, we must always remember that it is the health of these animals that we should take pirority first and not the pleasure for us to view them or something like that.

and after them finding their spot, you need to provide them with regular amounts of plankton.

• SRC Member
Thanks! going to give ML a call before going down tomorrow!

a quick one: Are all Flame red scallops = electric blue scallops? or two different species?

that SHOULD be true but since you wanted the electric flame scallop and going to ML to get it, then you don have to worry about it, cos his is the electric flame scallop, really nice ones.

Hi,

I got a scallop from ML since Hari Raya holidays abt 4 mths i think, it is still OK.

Read that in captivity, longest 1 year. It moves abt just as it suka, but mostly moves but to its HQ under a rock. Target feed with Phytoplankton.

Sometime it would lodge itself upside down on the rock.

hope U hav fun with it.

• SRC Member

I moved it to a new spot and walah it open up and start zapping! (but not as electric blue as I thought) nvm..

Switch to only blue light now. and it has decide to close to ZZZZzz?? not sure....

It is reef safe! :) but some fish or worm will like to take a bite