Nano cube tank

jef

Hey thanks for some of your encouragement. I will reduce me fishes to about 8. Will that be OK? Anyway, I was told to just buy sea water for changing 1/4 of the tank water 2wks once instead of mixing the water myself. I'll see how far I can go with this tank for a start. I'll learn from it and maybe upgrade to a better system after this. Keep on advising guys. I'll need it. Just suggest anything to me to help increase the chances of my livestock surviving.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hiya Andy, i think you should ease up...you've made your point. Everyone has made some mistakes or done something a "responsible" reefer shouldn't have done at a point. Learning about mistakes and preventing them from happening again is more important isn't it?

Jef, how big is ur nano? There are 2 different sizes if im not wrong. I guess reducing the number of LS to 8 would be a good start and you could monitor your water conditions from then on. Too many LS will degrade the water quality ensuring you a high nitrite level. If nitrate is still a problem for you after reducing your LS, maybe you should reduce it further or improve your setup. I presume you know you need to do some measurements on your water parameters right? Anyway, i might be not completely right too, just another newbie trying to share what limited experience i have. Read up more, the net is a good source of info. Happy reefing! :lol:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

What about cycling?

Did the shop just add NSW and put the LS in? :huh:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Erm, btw...did the shop say anything about replacing any LS or corals that turn up dead within a certain period of time? Using NSW is fine and there are many successful tanks running on NSW, read from a few threads that its better to buy the water and store it at least 24 hrs b4 use though. Shrugz, i've been using a saltmix all along, know nuts about NSW. I cant imagine having to carry around so much NSW in jellycans, i don't have a car..... :lol:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

for that price, i would expect that you bought the 24G tank.

it comes with 2x36W PL 50/50 tubes. the lights are good enough to keep corals like mushrooms, zoos... some lps too.

fish load wise, keep it 5 or below small fishes.

a rough guide on nano tank fishes can be found here

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

read through the threads in nanoreef, the info will be really helpful.

have fun :)

$850.. sorry to say that you have paid a ridiculous price for that. I belive you get the jbj 24g nano cube. i bought mine at $300 inclusive of live rock, live sand, salt and delivery.

Use to enquire and the man say can kept at 27 degree with the fan on just nice for corals. Thought that too and thinking that i need not get extra equipments, i was wrong. I have experience mine going up to 31 degree, the fan work only with the light on and definitely is going to generate more heat and that what the fan are for... anyway useless fan.

When it go to april to june period, the temp will raise, fan or not... it is going to raise your temp to at least 31 degree.

Mine, i got a maxijet pump to replace the stock pump as maxijet pump are quite reliable and more powerful. hook up a chiller to the current pump and put it in the 2nd compartment. Now i can effectively maintain my temperture at 26-27 degree.

Now my next job is to reduce algae and nitrate level to less than 05 ppm. Currently now is 10ppm.

• SRC Member

$850~!!!! Kena Tok Chai Tau~ tok tok tok tok tok tok tok~

Yep, like Maxstar said, everytime I go TM basement to that fish shop, I shake my head.... its unethical...

Jef, u need to tell us wat fishes are inside your tank! We'll tell you wat are the fishes to take out in terms of priority and survivability. The bio-load is way too much for your nano tank.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member

The net is ur only source of researching and finding info?

Always do ur readings first if u want to be a responsible reefer

Understatement andy. And outta topic. :off:

Hondaker is just helping jef feel better only, since jef already got so much discouraging bombardment from us over the $850 purchase.

Researching information on the INTERNET is only an example, and is what many of us do first before venturing further to libraries and LFS, etc. I dun recall Hondaker mentioning INTERNET is the ONLY source. Who gave you this idea?

Dun resposne to this post man, we're on the verge of hijacking jef's thread.

Keep to the main topic.

• SRC Member

The net is ur only source of researching and finding info?

Always do ur readings first if u want to be a responsible reefer

oh, i see what u mean, u mean that every person on this earth, once they are bron, should know about responsible reefing by themselves?

ahhhhh, if that the case, sorry man, i am wrong, you are the most responsible reefer ever, period

Tot of hooking up a chiller too. BTW the fishes in my tank are;

Wrasse X 1

Damselfish X 2

Clownfish X 2

Cardinalfish X 2

Bicolor X 1

Yellow Damselfish X 1

Clown Goby X 1

For your info, All the above fishes included un the pakage deal.

suggest that u check your water perimeter often. 10 fishes can be overcrowded in the 24g cube, that exclude invertebrate which eventually you going to put in.

Currently i have only 5 fishes, my tank has been running for 4 months.

I put my stock slowly... may increase another fish or two the most... 7 fishes.... bioload can be high.

Also suggest you hook up a chiller - CL280 will be more than enough. Don't have to get first hand, i got mine for only $70 from a reefer, but thermostat spoil... so i just get a timer to set on/off... till now... constantly maintain at 26 degree to 27 degree.

Hottest period is coming.....be prepare, topping up water can be very troublesome and need to constantly maintain the PH level. Also... tap water contain nitrate.

• SRC Member

Jef: In my opinion, I suggest you remove the 3 damselfishes to decrease the bio-load of your tank by a bit

reason:

1) Damsel fishes are agressive towards other fish. They will attack your other more expensive fishes.

2) Damsel fishes are dirt cheap ($1 only); you give people, people also will think twice due to its agressiveness.

Only advantage of damsels is that they are super hardy fishes that can withstand harsher water conditions.

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear that. But i like ur attitude towards wad has happened.

I was nearly conned by that shop last month too as i m also new to this hobby.

I think i read somewhere that ice packs (sealed, water tight) were used as chillers for the tanks n it manages to cool the tank to a reasonable temperature. Mayb u can immerse a few packs into one of those small compartments or freeze a sealed bottle of water to ice n float it on the water surface, it might help.

Eh .. comments on the ice pack chiller by any reefers ?

• SRC Member

yep,

nice to hear its running for a month already, keep the updates coming ya?

and do get some test kits and do occasional checks on your water too.

As for chiller, if you find it too expensive, try the pasam malam thread and see if any bros selling off theirs. can get it for 2nd hand price.

alternatively, get a fan also can. my buddy's 2.5 ft nano tank runs a fan and he can get the temperature down to 26++ celsius.

Your damsels will give youa hard time to catch them. some brothers here are often found saying : " I have to remove all my live rocks to catch that bugger...". haha. ask around for fish traps if you wanna catch them ya?

Already bought, no point regret lah... keep on maintaining....

If u were to remove the damsels... even is a dollar fish, is still consider a live, give away, don't flush it to the toilet or throw it into the lonkan, is very cuel to do so.

Saw a reefer selling a CL280 past days ads, i think about $100 + a pump ( $40 est) and some piping ($5) should settle your heat problem. I hate adding water cause you need to do so regularly with buffer to keep the PH maintain because of the evaporating rate. And the rate can be very high with more fans in it.

Give the damsels to some reefer for tank cycling.... although it say that is cruel to use damsels for cycling but in most instant... the chances of surviving for damsels are very high. .... After removing the damsels... you will reduce the bioload.

As of now... reduce the feeding rate, I feed my fishes once every two or three days, that fine... fish starve in weeks, not days.