A Newbie's Tank ... My 1St

Qxnviolet

• SRC Member

Bro Qxnviolet, I suggest u put a styrofoam board under the tank... ur table looks expensive :D

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

the sun from reborn too? hahaha wanted to get that pc but didn't... they've nice goni and yellow cup corals too :D

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

So bro... how many tanks (or buckets of saltwater) u currently running? lol

I think we are all mad... madly in love with the hobby... and I think this forum plays an important part in building that madness! We all go "koo-koo" already :yeah:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

:o Heard & being told by friends that Yellow Cup Corals are dyed ones, hopefully i'm might be wrong :lol:

I'm not sure abt that, I'm a newbie myself :P

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

Wow bro, what's the name of the coral on the background? It is pretty. Is it suitable for newbies?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Behind the fish? Not really sure but think its called star polyps....they are pretty easy and if the conditions are right, will spread quite fast..... :)

From LiveAquaria

Accurately described as an encrusting coral, Starburst Polyps rapidly grow over adjacent rock work, coral, or even the glass of an established reef aquarium. They are a peaceful coral armed with the defensive capability of being able to retract or deflate each of their polyps in response to predation. They will not harm other corals that are placed close to their colony, but are susceptible to being damaged by any aggressive corals in the reef aquarium. They are easy to maintain in the reef aquarium and make an excellent candidate for the beginning through expert reef aquarist. They require a medium to high light level combined with a medium to strong water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, they will also require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water.

:lol: Mine are the cheap ones, some reefers have those super greenish ones....*dRooLs*

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

Haha, thanks godzilla....good to see you are revamping your tank, carry on the good work!

Latest Update: One of my newly aquired frogsppawn's head just melted. Found some brown substances hovering around it. It was perfectly fine the previous day....could it have been too close to my prata which stung it causing it to die off? Btw, i've already cut off the dying head, worried that it'll affect the rest of the coral....

post-34-1141798385.jpg

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

• SRC Member
Haha, thanks godzilla....good to see you are revamping your tank, carry on the good work!

Latest Update: One of my newly aquired frogsppawn's head just melted. Found some brown substances hovering around it. It was perfectly fine the previous day....could it have been too close to my prata which stung it causing it to die off? Btw, i've already cut off the dying head, worried that it'll affect the rest of the coral....

Qxnviolet;

One thing funny that I notice about frogspawn is that always one polpy of the frogspawn will melt away. Mine also have one branch melted away even though I believe my water to be good. Go see at LFS to see some of their display tank with single melted branch.

No coral dies except this one branch of frogspawn after I convert to reef from FOWLR since July last year. I still have 2 out 3 branch. I did not cut away the melting one.

My theory for melting is that the water flow and the way that we place the frogspawn. When placing the frogspawn, all the branch with its tenticle has to be in upright in a smooth waving manner. Together with the flow, the frogspawn in the correct position will feel more at ease. But I guess I can never confirm this.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

YOUR BUBBLES>>> woah... very nice. I never had success with them... <_<

Hey bro, any ideas if the blue eyes will be compatible with dispars?

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

Qxnviolet;

One thing funny that I notice about frogspawn is that always one polpy of the frogspawn will melt away. Mine also have one branch melted away even though I believe my water to be good. Go see at LFS to see some of their display tank with single melted branch.

No coral dies except this one branch of frogspawn after I convert to reef from FOWLR since July last year. I still have 2 out 3 branch. I did not cut away the melting one.

My theory for melting is that the water flow and the way that we place the frogspawn. When placing the frogspawn, all the branch with its tenticle has to be in upright in a smooth waving manner. Together with the flow, the frogspawn in the correct position will feel more at ease. But I guess I can never confirm this.

Hrmz, this is my 2nd try at a frogspawn. The 1st died mysteriously after i added in some hammers which i suspect were diseased. Within 2 days, my true octo and frogspawn melted. Sianz 1/2. Was pretty worried when one of the heads of my new frogspawn showed signs of melting and when i came back at night and saw a layer of brown stuff hovering about the melting head, i immediately proceeded to cut the whole head off. Prob saved the other parts of the coral. :unsure: Read about the dreaded brown jelly disease somewhere before...i wonder if thats what killed my corals. :unsure:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog