Closed Loop System Design

MillionaireMachine

Hi, it has been awhile since i post anything here..Was taking a long break and was reading up more on reefkeeping.

I was reading up on reefcentral and Anthony Calfo's articles on Closed Loop Manifold (CLM)

Many may wonder what this is, you may want to read it at RC.. anyhow, in short it is something like a combination of wave makers and return from your sump.

My question is whether anyone here in Singapore have tried doing up the CLM method or whether is it feasible here in Singapore. Is there any limitations or constraints with these system or are we (in Singapore) limited with the pumps of limited flowrate and pressure that it is not feasible to do closed loop. Lastly, in terms of cost, would it be more expensive and should we just stick to the conventional use of wavemakers such as Tunze...

Just sumthing to start a discussion as Im in the process of planning and designing a system for my built-in-wall tank..

Regards

• SRC Member

Well, for my design ( out the window already ) I had planned for 2 x1.5inch intake from the back glass. These 2 intake will be connected to a Reeflo Sequence Dart pump. From the Dart pump, it will go through a 1inch pvc up the height of the tank and split to 4 outlet near each corner of the tank. I already purchase the Reeflo Dart pump but had to shelf the plan for something else.

Well, for my design ( out the window already ) I had planned for 2 x1.5inch intake from the back glass. These 2 intake will be connected to a Reeflo Sequence Dart pump. From the Dart pump, it will go through a 1inch pvc up the height of the tank and split to 4 outlet near each corner of the tank. I already purchase the Reeflo Dart pump but had to shelf the plan for something else.

may i know why u didnt continue with it? ran into problems or sumthing else..thx

No problem to the design. Just that I was 'hook' by the new Icecap Vortech Pump. The Reeflo Sequence Dart pump already has a buyer.

btw wad kinda pump is needed for the closed loop? read that it must be 30-50X vol of your tank.... Been hearing about this Dart Sequence pumps..Is it any diff from other pumps like MD55? thx for enlightening

• SRC Member

One of the sponsor Reef Depot has it.

If you are going to set a closed loop, it must draw water from the main tank and then pump it back into the main tank. This is what a closed loop is. If there is a power failure, the water will only stop flowing in the main tank. The intake MUST have a strainer so no live stock may not wander into the intake. I went for the Dart pump because of the flow and the wattage ( electricity consumption ).