Website for Disease/Parasite

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member
Thanks kueytoc. But is there any pictures to show how the various types of parasites look like ?

last time they used to include some diagrams...now they have revamped the page & I don't see any chart. <_<

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Hi

Does anybody know of any website that shows(with pictures) the various types of disease/parasites on fish look like. Sometimes without recognising how it looks like ,wrong medication maybe put into the quarantine tank.

There are 2 main diseases that huants the aquarist most. Whitespot and Odinium (velvet)

Whitespot is easy to spot, the fish is peppered with white pinhead spots about .3 to .5 mm in diameter.

Odinium is a bit tricky to identify. View the fish directly when it is swimming towards you, if you can see a layer of thin whitish film on the fish body, it could be Odinium.

If the fish is highly stressed, it my be infected with both Odinium and white spots.

Fortunately, copper based medication will erradicate both parasites. Quarantine all new arrivals irregardless of what the LFS say.

I have had good results with Seachem's Cupramine and always maintain a dose of .3 ppm in my QT tank.

Hope this helps.