How to tune becket skimmer??

NewToMarine

• SRC Member

i hope i got these facts that i'm about to tell you straight...learnt these from a guru i am very grateful to :D

ok...if your air valve is opened too much, too many bubbles form, these bubbles will then combine with each other forming bigger bubbles that upon collision with smaller ones will explode releasing all the DOC on the surface back to the water

closed too much and you have too little air to filter your water with.

your air valve should be maintained at between 1 - 2 oclock position

as for the water level, you will notice that as your beckett skims, there should be a layer of bubbles at the top that resemble cotton wool or candy floss...what i learnt is that this layer of candy floss should be at the height of the opening of the neck...do this by tuning the gate valve...NOT the air valve.

once this is done, monitor your water conditions and if you wan wetter skimmate, just close the gate valve more and if you want dryer, just tune the water level down by opening the water gate.

hope my inputs have been correct and valuable.

feel free to correct me if i've been mistaken

happy new yr!

• SRC Member

if you have the air valve fully open, you will tend to have wet skimmate, and big bubbles.....closing the air valve will tend to make the bubbles smaller (which are bmore effective at removing DOC, and will produce a dryer skimmate.

Unfortunately, no two skimmers are completely identical and also tank bio loads vary considerably, so there are no specific rules or methods for how to adjust a skimmer correctly - at the end of the day it is trial and error, with a lot of patience!

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)