Bullet

shoelevy

• SRC Member

hi guys

just doing a very short review on the bullet beckett i recently acquired as a favour to a friend

introduction:

first thing that many will notice about the bullet beckett is that it has a large reaction box below and that it has no gunk pipe...the beckett is directly fitted onto the reaction box

personally, i think that this design is good because the beckett looks neater, more packed and even when you wish to upgrade its height, you dun have to worry about the gunk pipe looking very unsightly.

theory:

water is forced through the beckett nozzle to the reaction chamber where the bubbles will interact with the water...it then rises up and collects in the collection cup. unlike the previous model that i used, this model doesn't require a 45degree exit pipe that makes the water swirl as it rises. i also find this an improvement as there's less to tweek while trying to fine tune it.

so here's a photo of the 48" one that i acquired

post-14-1138979091.jpg

• SRC Member

the beckett nozzle as shown below is housed in a small chamber...its VERY easy to remove...simply remove the thumb screws...and viola...the nozzle is out...its SO easy to maintain as compared to the previous model i was using.

to add on, the new model has a silencer option which really does make a big difference to the noise level in the room

post-14-1138979329.jpg

• SRC Member

hi patrick123...good question.

hm...i do not think that the gunk pipe is for preventing backflow during power failure...

you see...for the design with the gunk pipe...when there is a power failure...true that the water doesn't flow back through the air intake...BUT it will flow back through your gate valve all the same

infact, if the position of your beckett nozzle is in such a position that gravity can siphon water, there's no reason why the water from the beckett will not flow back into the sump through the nozzle since the nozzle is pretty much 2 way...so water will still flow either through the gunk pipe or the gate valve

i hope this clears the air?

feel free to ask more :D

• SRC Member

acutally its very simple to do a test....simply off the power while the becket is runnning and see what happed lor...

ian, your beckett is place in the sump so water coming out of the air nozzle might be no big deal lor...

shoelvy, i think what patrick is asking is if the water will come out through the air intake....normally when the becket is place out sump you would provide enough room such that in the event of power failure the sump will be able to contain the water flowing from the skimmer back to the sump both by the inlet and outlet.....however, any drip that might come escape through the air inlet will not end up in the sump but on the floor instead....;)

maybe you guys can verify if there might be some internal 1-way valve at the air intake to prevent this?

• SRC Member
and outlet.....however, any drip that might come escape through the air inlet will not end up in the sump but on the floor instead....;)

maybe you guys can verify if there might be some internal 1-way valve at the air intake to prevent this?

oh..i see what you are asking...well...i haven't experienced any leak from that place even though i off it at least once a week

so i guess its safe

• SRC Member

hi there guys, i think that if youre planning to run the bullet externally, youd ought to have the outlet above sump water level to prevent back pressure as henry explained. with regards to water exiting from the air intake area, i dont think that'll happen as gravity ought to displace the water such that it exits either via the outlet or through the inlet. if your pump fails or shuts down, the water shouldnt have enough pressure to rise up the air intake area which is taller than the reaction chamber box right? not sure if im explaining that right though.

anyhows, cheers all, and happy new years.

ian

• SRC Member
hi there guys, i think that if youre planning to run the bullet externally, youd ought to have the outlet above sump water level to prevent back pressure as henry explained.

hi ian...you're exactly right on the part about outlet being above sump level...that's the reason why if you take a look at my photo above, u see that the beckett is elevated by an old phone book!

:D

• 2 weeks later...
hi there bros shoelevy and patrick,

i use the bullet beckett too, and i love it deep deep as my friends say. hahah :P

its really neat and compact, and as i prefer running my skimmer in sump, it fits nicely without requiring too large a sump.

cheers,

ian

Hi Bro Ian,

which kind of pump are you running at? I am one of the user too.

Thanks,

Sean :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

ok guys, as promised i'm back with a follow up by providing details of its no3 control.

my no3 was originally 30 when i fired this guy up.

when i tested the no3 after about 4weeks, it was halved to 15ppm.

and then no matter how i tweeked it it never got lower. so i suspected sth needed cleaning and sure enough, after i took the md55 for a shower, and tested the no3 another mth later, the no3 is now down to just 2ppm.

fantastic skimmer!

can say that i've never been happier!

hope this offers closure to this thread.

thanks all!