Help Help! pH dropping!

Flaming Nemo

HI all,

anyone can give any advices. MY tank is a 4 months old. I notice my pH keep dropping from 8.35 to 7.93 everyday. I need to top up calcium powder to raise up every 2 days. BUt still dropping.

I added magnesium and buffer to stable... but fruitless.

I added pH balancer media in my filter, still can't see results?

Is it my nitrification process is going very high? or my reef is producing lots of CO2 that cause my water to become acidic?

What should I do?

Pls advise

if u measure ur pH at night when the light are off , it will be low... that why some reefer dose kalk solution at night to raise the pH .

what buffer are u using ...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

:lol: hmmm... i would recommend tropic marine triple buffer ... somrthing like that because i use that haha...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Flaming Nemo: Do u dose any thing like SeaChem Reef Builder ™ to raise carbonate alkalinity ? It usually takes both calcium and alkalinity to maintain a good PH value. Pple either dose Kalkwasser daily at nite to helps or like me, I dose Seachem advantage calcium and reef builder on alternate days works well.

Mine never go below 8.0 before and I never get a chance to use my ph buffer.... :P

U can read more of PH from this website. Very useful.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marphfaq4.htm

• SRC Member
HI all,

anyone can give any advices. MY tank is a 4 months old. I notice my pH keep dropping from 8.35 to 7.93 everyday. I need to top up calcium powder to raise up every 2 days. BUt still dropping.

I added magnesium and buffer to stable... but fruitless.

I added pH balancer media in my filter, still can't see results?

Is it my nitrification process is going very high? or my reef is producing lots of CO2 that cause my water to become acidic?

What should I do?

Pls advise

i suspect your KH is low...check that and boost it up if its insufficient

low kh is the most common case of ph drop

if you find that your kh is hard to maintain...then check your mg...that causes kh to drop if too low

hi all,

thanks.

I now using this 'aqua-pharm pur-kalkwasser'. I still adding alternate night. Very tired. How to check KH and how to increase my KH?

My Calcium is very high now 550 ppm approximately

Mg I adding once per week. Do I need to boost it?

Is it my filter is removing all my goodies elements?

Oh someone pls help me....

• SRC Member

go get salifert kh test kit

as for mg...dun just blindly dose...u need to know how much is being depleted by yr tank...blind dosing only spells 1 thing...and i think u know wat it is

where u stay?

if u stay near me u can bring some water from yr tank let me test for u

i haf the necessary salifert kits :D

Thanks all

shoelevy: thanks for your kind help. I'm staying in the north. It's ok for the moment cos i can take back to my lab and run it under 'HPLC-High Performance Liquid Chromotagraphy' it shows me a quantitative results.

More accurate. I may need to measure Mg, Ca and Carbonate Salts.

Nicholas: I bought the Seachem Reef Carbonate (liquid form) will try to add in alternate nights with my kalkwasser

Is it ok?

Advise

• SRC Member
Thanks all

shoelevy: thanks for your kind help. I'm staying in the north. It's ok for the moment cos i can take back to my lab and run it under 'HPLC-High Performance Liquid Chromotagraphy' it shows me a quantitative results.

More accurate. I may need to measure Mg, Ca and Carbonate Salts.

Nicholas: I bought the Seachem Reef Carbonate (liquid form) will try to add in alternate nights with my kalkwasser

Is it ok?

Advise

wahaha...interesting!

that's wat i call going high tech :lol: