ong2ah

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Another shot of my tank.. with the two beautiful blue eye anthias... :D

1st time trying out anthias in my tank this year...

after a few unsuccessful attempts last year...

Anthias are rally nice fishes... really like the goldfishes in sea..

just more beautiful :lol:

post-34-1141809309.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

My 1st small blue tang... got it for 4 days only... no sign of itchness but its body have a bit of small small white dots... Is it the beginning of the itch parasite or?? Anyone with experience of rearing small blue tang can share ? :blink:

post-34-1143570867.jpg

• SRC Member
My 1st small blue tang... got it for 4 days only... no sign of itchness but its body have a bit of small small white dots... Is it the beginning of the itch parasite or?? Anyone with experience of rearing small blue tang can share ? :blink:

i got a tiny BT too. very dirty fella, can see it with lots of white spots and stuff. most of the time they are juz dirt, which gets stuck on its body. if it starts scratching itself on the LR, den you know already.. time to remove it... otherwise its fine.. sometimes its air bubbles, sometimes its dirt...

• SRC Member

i got a tiny BT too. very dirty fella, can see it with lots of white spots and stuff. most of the time they are juz dirt, which gets stuck on its body. if it starts scratching itself on the LR, den you know already.. time to remove it... otherwise its fine.. sometimes its air bubbles, sometimes its dirt...

Thanks for yr reply bro... in the meantime i will keep a close watch on the tiny blue tang... only eat once a day (i feed my fishes twice a day)... :erm:

• SRC Member

The blue tang passed away a few days ago.. <_<

Guess its not so easy rearing a tiny blue tang...exp i got it from a not so gd LFS

in my neighbourhood..cos every fishes still gd and hungry.... a bad investment..

Any way today juz got a blue formia star fish from a gd LFS (MarineLife) ;)

Hope can keep it well and happy... a few mths ago, tried a red formia star...

it is well and gd for weeks then one day suddenly explode..yah..it really exploded

..from the main disc into abt 10 pieces.. haiz... any bro/sis who is well versed in star keeping ..can share why do that happen... Thanks :bow:

and any tips on how to keep starfishes happy? :thanks:

To 10 pieces??? Wow that's a really horrid death... could it be ur pump head or something? Eww... so gross can match a dying anemone, lol. Got pix to share? :heh:

Can u also show us a close up of ur new Blue Fromia. Will be getting lots of stars for my new tank coz I love them a lot :) but I have no idea how to target feed them...

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

hmmmz. how did the BT die...? really sad to hear that... i love BTs...

anyway think i am lucky, cos the BT i got almost died from stress, cos i FW dip it too long.. luckily it recovered...

oh stars always die in my tank, i dunno why. i had a red fromia, blue linka and even a sand shifter, all dun do well in my tank... haiz. die within 5 days...

• SRC Member
hmmmz. how did the BT die...? really sad to hear that... i love BTs...

anyway think i am lucky, cos the BT i got almost died from stress, cos i FW dip it too long.. luckily it recovered...

oh stars always die in my tank, i dunno why. i had a red fromia, blue linka and even a sand shifter, all dun do well in my tank... haiz. die within 5 days...

The blue tang being eating well for the 1st 3 days... then disappear liao... :nc:

anyway i noted a trend that very very small fishes can not survive in my tank...

suspect my big and long brittle star fish.. and my big fat cleaner shrimp...

The blue formia is only my 2nd stars in 2 yrs... Previously kept the sand shifer star.. quite ok.. kept it for more than half a yr... until it k not stand me and go

to my circulating pump suction and commit suicide...haiz..

• SRC Member

Hrmz, are sea stars really that hard to keep alive? I guess if your tank is matured enough, they shouldn't hve much problems settling down in it. Starfishes are scavangers, i do not bother with target feeding them. In fact, i never bothered with target feeding my corals too.... :)

The blue tang would proberbly have been very weak or dying by the time your brittlestar of cleaner shrimp got to it. A healthy blue tang would be nearly impossible to catch for them. Anyway, maybe you can get BTs around the size of 1.5 inches and above. They are easier compared to the really tiny ones. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

i got this problem also.. anything smaller then my BT or slow moving like my mandarin, goes missing... think i discovered the culprit already.. the mantis... i got 2 mantis in my tank.. haiz. headache...

i got this problem also.. anything smaller then my BT or slow moving like my mandarin, goes missing... think i discovered the culprit already.. the mantis... i got 2 mantis in my tank.. haiz. headache...

Don't scare me leh bro... I will be getting some LR from bro this Saturday... hopefully they are "mantis" free... or else must use trap already. Anyone with experience with pest trap? Some ppl use cokcroach trap I heard :pinch:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

serious.. i always tot there was only 1 mantis in my tank, and it is so docile, almost fun to look at, so i left it alone.. juz recently discovered a new mantis in my tank... how it was left undiscovered i dunno... but ya. they are quite bad... my mandarin and clown went missing ever since i saw the appearance of the mantis...

• SRC Member
Hrmz, are sea stars really that hard to keep alive? I guess if your tank is matured enough, they shouldn't hve much problems settling down in it. Starfishes are scavangers, i do not bother with target feeding them. In fact, i never bothered with target feeding my corals too.... :)

The blue tang would proberbly have been very weak or dying by the time your brittlestar of cleaner shrimp got to it. A healthy blue tang would be nearly impossible to catch for them. Anyway, maybe you can get BTs around the size of 1.5 inches and above. They are easier compared to the really tiny ones. :)

I think starfishes r not too hard to keep...

based on the sand shifter star that i keep for quite long..though i must say starfish

are quite sensitive.. and most impt of all sometimes depends on the

individual fishes/invertabrates character (translate to luck)...

for example, i kept one scooter dragonnet from the time when my tank no3 must be over 100ppm.. and its still fine

and eating well till now... had it for a yr plus liao... n bought it for only $4.

Brother, btw is it normal that formia starfish will stick to tank wall for a few days

initially?? Cos thats what my blue formia star is doing now... <_<

• SRC Member
To 10 pieces??? Wow that's a really horrid death... could it be ur pump head or something? Eww... so gross can match a dying anemone, lol. Got pix to share? :heh:

Can u also show us a close up of ur new Blue Fromia. Will be getting lots of stars for my new tank coz I love them a lot :) but I have no idea how to target feed them...

Hi bro, the blue formia star is hiding behind the rocks.. hard to even see it :( not to say photograph it... anyway, one of its leg is deteriorating... hope it can recover... If not..i will turn to back to keeping sand shifter star which is much hardier...

and btw the red formia stars which is disintegrated into pieces, should not be my powerhead... as the circulating pump is very small.. though my sand shifter star managed to get its leg into it..

Do try out a couple of starfishes 1st... do try not to get too many at one go.... as u may not be sure whether yr water is suitable... and for small tanks.. i read up b4 that its not advisable to keep too many starfishes..

I currently have 2 stars... a Orange Sea Star and a Sand Sifting Star... both quite healthy (I think)... will definitely try Formia as they are so so pretty once my new tank is ready :)

Can I have more than 1 Orange Sea Star in a 3ft tank?

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
I currently have 2 stars... a Orange Sea Star and a Sand Sifting Star... both quite healthy (I think)... will definitely try Formia as they are so so pretty once my new tank is ready :)

Can I have more than 1 Orange Sea Star in a 3ft tank?

Do share with me the secrets of rearing the formia stars when u suceed.. i am sure with yr committment.. u will have a few formia stars in yr tank in no time :yeah: