Can I use Water Cooler Water to top up my tank

• SRC Member
Hi,

I was just wondering whether I can use water cooler water to top up my tank, instead of buying distilled water or NSW.

Regards,

Darren

Hi Darren, not sure if it's just a slip of the tongue(or in this case, fingers) but just making sure that you can topup with distilled water and water cooler water(theoratically water cooler have filter resins too so I don't see a problem) but you cannot or rather shouldn't topup with NSW because the salt in the tank doesn't evaporate, only the water. Hence if you use NSW, your salinity and SG is just going to go up and up.

• SRC Member

which water cooler you refering to??

If the water directly comes from tap water, definitely NO.

Normally they use normal filter, just to trap dirt. I never

come across the one using resin. Even if so, you must

still check water quality with TDS, to ensure its safe

for your aquarium.

Dun top up with NSW. ;)

• SRC Member

ok so lets say u change water abt 20-30%... do we top with with new salt water or freshwater? :unsure:

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member
water change to remove wastes use NSW

daily topup for evaporation use freshwater,distilled water.

been topping up my tank with watercooler water...seems fine though

thats what i meant...anyway where can i buy tds meter? how much? i will be of course looking for the cheapest and most accurate/recommended meter.....any lobang to share? and also how to use it?...

• SRC Member

yeah if hydrometer then range of pxs n makes available. if really under tight budget constraints then use those floating glass type wh cost probably ard $5 (not sure cos hvnt bgt one for yrs)...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

not really....

got this off the net

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) are the total amount of mobile charged ions, including minerals, salts or metals dissolved in a given volume of water, expressed in units of mg per unit volume of water (mg/L), also referred to as parts per million (ppm). TDS is directly related to the purity of water and the quality of water purification systems and affects everything that consumes, lives in, or uses water, whether organic or inorganic, whether for better or for worse.

more here

http://www.tdsmeter.com/abouttds.html

• SRC Member
Ermz, please exercise extra caution not to break them when using the glass type and dont leave it permanently floating around in the tank.... :)

I leave it permenantly inside so that it takes the temperature reading. As it as you take care of it it should be fine and be careful not to crack it.