What is the correct salinty level?

d88p

• SRC Member

Greetings to all.

I am just wondering what is the correct salinity that a tank should be? I have got 2 setups.... a 2ft and a 3ft tank

2ft tank: salinty reading at 1.028

Rocks, damsels, maroon clown, prawn, crab, hermit crab, star fish

3ft tank: salinty reading at 1.026

Rocks, corals, clowns, tangs, doctor fish, foxface, crab, prawn, slug, goby, star fish, wrasse etc

• SRC Member

actually it really depends.

Most will go for 1.021. Some experienced reefers go for 1.030. :P .. I for one will got for a 1.025+.

All it needs is the proper acclimatizing of new additions.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
hrm, not really too sure about the "correct" salinity level but i think 1.028 is abit on the high side already, might wan to lower is abit....a good range would be somewhere in between 1.021 and 1.024

thats what i thought so too :ph34r:

• SRC Member
actually it really depends.

Most will go for 1.021. Some experienced reefers go for 1.030. :P .. I for one will got for a 1.025+.

All it needs is the proper acclimatizing of new additions.

so i guess its in the safe regions :blink:

• SRC Member

so i guess its in the safe regions :blink:

yes.. and proper aclimatization esp if yours is on the higher side.

not to forget, different LSs come from different parts of the sea with different salinity levels.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
what happen if it is below the correct range? what will happen if not enough marine salt? is it better to have too much or too little?

good question.... on my 1st marine tank try out (cycled for a month, never bought a salinty tester yet) any fish that i put in there died the next day. So when to buy a tester to test and the salinty level was around 1.018. :yeah::yeah::yeah:

• SRC Member

too low would mean hyposalinity... which is good for 5 -10 mins to cure itch. any longer and your fishes would dye...

elimmel, i have been adding in water but the salinty still remains the same

top up water will not alter SG much. you need to do this during weekly water changes. water change with fresh mix at lower SG than your tank SG. this has to be done gradually to lower the SG down. so maybe it'll take you 2-3 weeks to bring SG down from 1.028 to 1.024. give your LS time to adjust.

• SRC Member
mine is having 1.017. how huh? no matter how much i put the salt....still cannot reach the safe zone lehz...

bro, u put the salt directly into the main tank or?

ok, here's what i will do if i had SG(Specific gravity) of 1.017

1) Mix a bucket of water with sea salt mix until a much higher SG is achieved, roughly 1.030-1.035. Mix well, try to obtain a final solution with any visible salt crystals left

2) Remove same amount of water from main tank

3) Mix in the newly mixed saltwater

4) Measure SG of main tank. If SG is not up to desired level, repeat steps 1-3 after waiting for 1 or 2 days(to prevent too much shock to LS)

I cannot decide how much water for you to change, have to gauge yourself.

If you really perfect the amount of salt to add, u can always use maths to calculate, which i don't really bother to do

Hope this helps

Cheers

• SRC Member
i use NSW but becoz of shortage of NSW, i add on tap water. tts y. my tank is 1.5ft tank.

Ermz, you mean you added tap water to try increase your salinity level? Btw, if you did, don't! Tap water by itself has a salinity of ZERO. Adding tap water to your tank will only cause your salinity to drop even further. And oh, usage of some anti-chlorine is advised... :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

swing arm type :pirate::pirate:

swing arm types tend to deviate from actual readings after some time

i suggest getting the glass type, heard its better than swing arm

for best results, get the refractometer

btw, when u say u added in 5 bottles of 1.25L, what SG are they at?

and what SG is your tank before the water change?

are you doing water change or topping up water?

basically, to top off evaporated water, use plain water will do

to water change, mix a saltwater and obtain the same SG as your tank, and then siphon out the same amount of water, and pour in the newly mixed saltwater

• SRC Member

Ermz, you mean you added tap water to try increase your salinity level? Btw, if you did, don't! Tap water by itself has a salinity of ZERO. Adding tap water to your tank will only cause your salinity to drop even further. And oh, usage of some anti-chlorine is advised... :)

no lah i din add tap water to increase the level...wats refractometer