Modified 24g NC in the making

jervismun

Yupe thanks to a fellow SGReef member. Once I saw his thread, I quickly went to his place at Pasir Ris to collect. Cancelled my gym, lol. Really really have to thank him if I manage to setup a successful tank :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprise!!!

post-69-1141306146.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Surprise!!!

hi bro, nice tank and equipment u have there.

Sadly the 2 bannerfish u bought for ur tank is way too big, slowly they will be very stress as they have no room to swim...

The NO3 will also raise due to the size of the fish...

Any reason to pick up both the banner ??

GIve up liao!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax dude! Since it is my 101 postings, I made a up this joke to test your reaction, lol. The fish was photoshoped in!!! :evil:

• SRC Member
Relax dude! Since it is my 101 postings, I made a up this joke to test your reaction, lol. The fish was photoshoped in!!! :evil:

lolz, i know that why i so serious in questioning u mah, u must also try to act and say u got a 800++ skimmer so no scare..

btw when adding in new fish? Ah beng place coming in AT. u can try to put one in hahah

GIve up liao!!!!!!!!!!!

See? lol I am good :eyebrow:

post-69-1141310280.jpg

Thanks guys! I do look forward to adding my first fish... but... well... ok... whatever...

When my tank is ready, I will add 3 small Green Chromis. What you guys think? Will they jump out of my tank like Firefish? I have good water current and I want species that will actually enjoy my artificial wave.

I will also get a Royal Gramma after that.

Please share your thoughts :thanks:

These guys are really fast moving, one day and they are already trying to root to my extra thin sand bed, lol.

post-69-1141314294.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro .. first time i hav a nice look at ur sandbed... Juz wondering if u might wanna add a extra layer of grade 1 or grade 0 sand .. some suggestions .. mayb some other bro can advise on this ..

Yea .. really nice LR .. Oh yea .. bro abt the cycling thing .. i dun think it would b much of a problem cos theLR in ur tank came from another reefer n i suppose there would alrdy b a host of bacteria in there thus resulting in the faster drop of the ammonia n nitrite hike. Its always safe to wait longer.

Bro .. first time i hav a nice look at ur sandbed... Juz wondering if u might wanna add a extra layer of grade 1 or grade 0 sand .. some suggestions .. mayb some other bro can advise on this ..

Yea .. really nice LR .. Oh yea .. bro abt the cycling thing .. i dun think it would b much of a problem cos theLR in ur tank came from another reefer n i suppose there would alrdy b a host of bacteria in there thus resulting in the faster drop of the ammonia n nitrite hike. Its always safe to wait longer.

Ok Bro, I will seriously consider adding an extra layer of sand... I need to find a way that will not mess up the tank and the filtration system too much. Yeah advice pls.

Yupe I sorta figure that out too. The matured cured LR I bought jump-started the cycle. My Ammonia and Nitrites level have been maintained at <0.25 for the last 3 days. Now just need to deal with the Nitrates. The last time I measures, it was 75. So will wait for it to drop to an acceptable range, say <20.

Will connect my chiller tonight and so a 20% water change, also to increase the Sg slightly.

Yes, I will wait a little longer and see...

• SRC Member
These guys are really fast moving, one day and they are already trying to root to my extra thin sand bed, lol.

The genus Caulerpa overall though is very aggressive and sometimes toxic to fishes or invertebrates.

Just be careful... ;)

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Oh, I thought this species is reef safe... oh boy, what should I do? I can always remove them before they spread... What a waste, it's so pretty and green. What do you mean by agressive? And what kinda toxic? Will it kill fished instantly? Or just pollute my water? Thanks for your info.

• SRC Member
Oh, I thought this species is reef safe... oh boy, what should I do? I can always remove them before they spread... What a waste, it's so pretty and green. What do you mean by agressive? And what kinda toxic? Will it kill fished instantly? Or just pollute my water? Thanks for your info.

Oh;

I actually not kept for this and have not experience anything with the toxic or aggressive.

I was mentioned in RC that it is used in refugium and when the rots, it kills the LS when it releases the toxic... Mention that if you insepct it everynow and then for rotting, then its okay...

Its just that I read abt it.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

So I just have to take great care of it and if there's any sign of rotting, remove the whole patch. :P

For the first time in history!!!

post-69-1141368698.jpg

Oh this chunk of equipment reminds me so much of a bulldozer... powerful but unsightly... luckily it's not in yellow :cry:

post-69-1141369038.jpg

Oh;

I actually not kept for this and have not experience anything with the toxic or aggressive.

I was mentioned in RC that it is used in refugium and when the rots, it kills the LS when it releases the toxic... Mention that if you insepct it everynow and then for rotting, then its okay...

Its just that I read abt it.

I have removed 1 piece from the tank. After taking a closer look, that piece doesn't look too healthy... Thanks bro for the info or else my tank will surely crash big time! :peace:

Must tank bro Elimmel for sharing the links to the danger of Caulerpa macroalgae. I am so sadden by all the ppl that have been facing so much difficulty removing or controlling this noxious algae from their tank.

Can you guys help vote if I should remove that piece of Caulerpa? Just vote "FOR" or "AGAINST". I will count the votes tomorrow.

Picture below showing the beautiful but invasive Caulerpa.

post-69-1141374438.jpg

Maybe you could give it to me....tangs love them... :lol: Kidding...didnt know they were so dangerous as well....

Your Tangs cant possibly eat them coz they use toxic to protect themselves from being eaten. And I learned that they have a very strong rooting system, so removing them from rocks can be a nightmare! So gotto remove it sooner or later I think. Wasted $6 lol!

So they are not so poisonous after all?

I need your advise bro, what beginners fish I can keep that prefers strong current? The water flow in my tank is quite high, so must get suitable fishes.

So they are not so poisonous after all?

I need your advise bro, what beginners fish I can keep that prefers strong current? The water flow in my tank is quite high, so must get suitable fishes.

try dwarf angel , they swim better . however some peck coral

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Chromis? Angels? Gah!

Keep something easy to maintain.

A Royal Gamma works! Pretty and nice colouration!

Or

You can go down to ML this weekend. Henry brought in some marvellous gobies which I personally prefer for a small tank. One goby too asthetic. Try keeping a few like 3 which you can stock over a period of time?

Or

You can keep a lookout for a paired true percular clowns from reputable LFS. They breed quite readily and hey! You have fries as corals' food!

Or

You can try banggai cardinals. They are fishes with spots and only have only two colours on their bodies, which are black and white.

Anyways, for a 24G tank, excluding rocks and your skimmer, try to keep things simple and maintainence free (I dont mean no maintence, I mean lesser) and of course less bio load!

Caulerpa is dangerous when they turn asexual. ;)