Learning to scuba-dive

flubberina13

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
flubberina,

Beside the weekend for your OWD, you will need the 2 theory and 2 pool session.

Norman...can ask when do I take the theory sessions then the pool sessions?

You mean i must complete all the above before going for OWD. Btw, what is OWD?

Only vague understanding... :paiseh:

• SRC Member
Flub: Do take care diving, and enjoy yourself!

Aiyah..the materialism of the dive involves many factors.

Who knows whether I may kanna recall for work. Hope not...

Anyway, it's good to find out the specs so as to be prepared. A girl guide's motto. :P

• SRC Member
Thanks for helping me sink buddy. Riding on my tank wasn't in the dive plan. ;)

Six weights? No... I think you use more during your OWC. Or is it because you never deflate your BCD fully initally that's why you need more weights than your weight belt able to carry.

Anyway, glad that you continue diving. Will inform you of any upcoming dive trips.

yeap... 6... checked mi divelog.. i think u tot it was 12 cos its 12kg of weights.. yeah man... would love to go diving wif u again... we could watch man u match again together ay? hehe

• SRC Member
Who knows whether I may kanna recall for work. Hope not...

Anyway, it's good to find out the specs so as to be prepared. A girl guide's motto. :P

yeah.. i know.. it sucks big time.. thus i do this, i inform my colleagues that i'm going diving and there is no way they can contact me. Overseas still have autoroam, underwater...???? the only sound u heard is your own breathing and perhaps sound from some tank bangers :P .. ahhh.. i missed those silence..... never mind, going this weekend to tioman.... :P

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
yes yes.. the silence.. wow.. kelstorm goin tioman tis weekend ay? haf fun man! do tell bout ur dives when u return yah?

yeah.. will do.. heard that mantas and whale sharks season now.. hehehe.. hopefully can spot a couple of them... if not... <_<:cry2: wasted the purpose of going.. hehehe.. this time, can get to test my own BCD which i bought from LA, US

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

errr... forgot to add this, i dun have underwater camera... paisay... but will try to borrow.. that is if can lay my hands on one..

• SRC Member
errr... forgot to add this, i dun have underwater camera... paisay... but will try to borrow.. that is if can lay my hands on one..

go buy the cheapo one that I got. Snap Sight. $38 only comes with 27 exposure.

Film can be reloaded at your own risk. (The warranty only cover for first use)

You will need a small sharp screw driver to pry open it and some silicon greese to seal it back. So far, I have use it on 3 rolls of film. No water sepage yet. Of cos' I test it in a pail of water after reloading.

• SRC Member

hi to all for those who want to learn scuba and want it cheap now is the time u can take ur course in spore water(yaya i knw it is worse than ur aquarium) but look at it in this way, by the time the diving season open in malaysia, u r really to dive instead of having to take ur course while others r seeing things at the other sites.

By the way hantu still got its charm and for those more advanced i suggest sudong try and find the wreck u will not b disappointed.

Cheers

HH

• SRC Member
hi to all for those who want to learn scuba and want it cheap now is the time u can take ur course in spore water(yaya i knw it is worse than ur aquarium) but look at it in this way, by the time the diving season open in malaysia, u r really to dive instead of having to take ur course while others r seeing things at the other sites.

By the way hantu still got its charm and for those more advanced i suggest sudong try and find the wreck u will not b disappointed.

Cheers

HH

vicinity of sudong is a live firing area. So better be careful. Who knows you might find yourself an unexploded bomb :blink:

• SRC Member

Just read a report on P.Hantu that it got as much diversity and variety of corals and fishes just like Tioman or any part of this region. And it is denser as there are less "disturbance" as there are less divers visiting P.Hantu.

The only problem is visibility. If only the water is clearer, I think we'll be diving every weekend.

I hope the reclamation works off Tuas divert the murky, brownish water from Johor straits thus making the P.Hantu water clearer.

Dear Divers to be;

Monsoon might be around the corner, P Hantu might not be a good place to dive etc.... ....

But do not let this affect you in anyway.

Even though Singapore is not blessed with "behind the yard diving", we are extremely fortunate to be geographically located in the centre of diving!

For those thinking to carry on diving during this period, there's always Riau (or Batam). There are few pretty good diving sites there. And the best part, you get to stay in a proper 3 star hotel (not the typical diving resort in Dayang).

During this monsoon period, it is also the best time for divers to try exotic diving destinations such as Manado, Sipadan, Thailand etc.

For divers wannabe, you can still pick up diving without the "motion sickness". Try packages (the same package Yazid and friends went for) where you do not need to travel 4 - 5 hours across the sea late in the night. Monsoon do not start till late November around Tioman, Dayang and Aur.

Alternatively, you can do your PADI Open Water Diver Course in Batam.

Another course that is not heavily pursued here in Singapore is PADI Discover Scuba Diving program. This program allows people to become a New Diver by experiencing breathing underwater. It covers very fundamental aspect of diving and it allows you to dive under the direct supervision of a Teaching Status PADI Instructor. This is a one day experience Scuba program. This program is also much cheaper than any PADI Open Water Diver course and it has credits that you can use for your next Open Water Diver course. Speak to any dive operator to see how you can benefit for it.

--

Having said all that, monsoon is no reason to stay dry. Divers, suit up and get more deals during this period! It is diving AWAY from East Malaysia and it is time to invest in that underwater camera and attend a PADI Underwater Photography Specialty.