Tank embracement crack

kschew1498

• SRC Member

Hi Reefers

I own a 5 footer tank and I only realise recently that the front embracement glass was crack. :(

What are my option?

Get another piece of re-enforceing glass and replace it? or

get another smaller strip of glass to glue on top of that portion where the crack is? :huh:

Sigh!....its going to be very troublesome...... <_<

Any recommendation for a easy way out? Any danger that the whole front glass of the tank just explode? Its going to be a nightmare!!! :sick: SIGH!

post-17-1142352575.jpg

Bro... Maybe you can get another bracing to re-enforce the cracked bracing... Like another new bracing place on top of the old one...

Not sure if it will work out...

If not go and ask a tank maker asap before your front panel start to warp...

HTH

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Ur bracing crack bcause u don't have a centre brace. If u want it to be save , draw out 70% of ur tank water , cut off the whole strip of the crack bracing and replace it with a new one and add a 6 to 7 inch centre brace and let the silicon to dry min 2 days before u fill ur tank full with water . It going to be tough alot of job to be done if .not it like a time bomb. Good luck . ;)

6x2.5x2.5 (GEO AQUATIC)

Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000Baby

Aquamedic NR1000

Aquamedic KR1000

Aquamedic Niveaumat

Aquamedic Ozone

RM Fluidised Reactor

Tunze 6060x3

Resun C1000

Aqualight 2x250w + 150w MH

• SRC Member

Can I just add another piece on top of this existing bracing?

I dont wish to cut and replace the whole embracing myself as I doubt I can do a good job. Even worse I am afraid I might make things worse by cutting the wrong place. :(

Recently I just throw away my carpet because one of my Power head suction pad came loose and the power head was splash water out of the tank.....half my living room was flooded. And another recent occasion, my filter wool cloaked one side of my sump tank and it flooded my protein skimmer collection cup and flooded the living room again! <_< Phobia now! :paiseh:

Hi bro,

Sorry to hear about your plight.

I believe the best solution is given by Monsterz liao. The crack occurs due to the fact that there is no centre brace.

Another alternative is for you to add a centre brace plus 2 pieces of glass supporting the cracked area.

The 2 pieces of glass are to sandwiched the top and bottom area of the cracked area.

The centre brace will relieve the stress on your front & back bracing (Centre portion). If you dun add, it may come back to haunt you in another spot.

In fact, most tank makers are reluctant to build a 5ft tank for marine without centre bracing, most will stop at 4 ft, 12mm glass.

HTH :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hi bro,

Sorry to hear about your plight.

I believe the best solution is given by Monsterz liao. The crack occurs due to the fact that there is no centre brace.

Another alternative is for you to add a centre brace plus 2 pieces of glass supporting the cracked area.

The 2 pieces of glass are to sandwiched the top and bottom area of the cracked area.

The centre brace will relieve the stress on your front & back bracing (Centre portion). If you dun add, it may come back to haunt you in another spot.

HTH :D

Yo Bro.....I prefer this solution then replacing the whole piece of embracement. I am worried that I would cut the wrong place.

ok....so one piece in the middle and 2 small piece on the top and bottom of the crack area....... <_< wonder how thick this centre embracement should be.........1.5cm thick?

I think the center brace can be 12mm think and 3inches wide.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

bro easy and best way out.. replace it with a new glass tank.. if not you dont know next time where will crack or leak..

beside your currrent tank is an old one so no point try repair here and there...

call me if u need help... my new tank project also going to start in 2 weeks time.

• SRC Member

Thanks for your offer Alan. All the best to your project.

Hmmm....I am contemplating to have one centre embracement bar or 2 embracement bar reason because if I use one centre embrancement, it will be blocking my centre MH lights but if I use 2, then its very difficult to access if I have to do rescaping or removing big live rocks! <_<

Any suggestion guys?? :huh: