normal home light ( daylight type )

Ikan83

• SRC Member

Hi all,

just like to find out with u guys, does our home light ( those daylight type ) can be use to keep corals? saw in diy store those energy saving bulb 20 plus watt one, can produce up to 100 plus watt of brightness. any 1 can enlighten me? :rolleyes::peace:

what bulb are u looking at ?

just like the intensity of the PLC is like 5 times the big round bulb .

so they might just claimed 1 PLC 24watt is like 100watt of the low intensity big round bulb loh

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

bro, definitely not...looks like u need more research into kelvin points ! the normal home use bulbs are 2700k, you can get the light shops to change it to 6500k, but even that is niot enought to sufficiently sustain the energy from lights that the corals zooxanthellae needs =10,000k to 12,000 minimum to replicate the intense sunlight at noon!

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/atj/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/aafeature

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...&articleid=2693

vipersig.jpg

• SRC Member
Hi all,

just like to find out with u guys, does our home light ( those daylight type ) can be use to keep corals? saw in diy store those energy saving bulb 20 plus watt one, can produce up to 100 plus watt of brightness. any 1 can enlighten me? :rolleyes::peace:

hi i think i know what you are talking about, issit the phillips tornado bulbs (green packaging) ? :rolleyes: they claim to use only 24W while supplying 100w.

cos cos my bro diy-ed some lights from his tank and connected it with a 3 pin plug.

currently he is keeping hammer and frogspawn, the bulbs seem rather insense (real bright), colour temp wise not that sure, looks like 10000k to me, minutely yellowish mainly white colour.

growth wise i dun really see that much growth, maybe cos due to his water parameters, but nvm :blink:

colour wise the hammer and frogspawn are coming along alright, green bosy with pinkish tips.

but the thing is, it is like dirt cheap !! serious the bulbs are like $12, the casing is less than $5, and the 3 pin plug + cable is only $6, so for 100w of power that is not bad actually. (there is a 125w version)

on the whole i would ask you to get commercial lights instead of doing a diy

1. its tried and tested, it works !!

2.you can mix colours, some 6500k and 20000k to attain both growth and colouration :)

but it is more expensive, for a 2 ft t5ho its ont 21w each, 3 ft is 39w i think, to get 100 w its would take more than 4 bulbs, that is like 200+ for the lighting fixture on the mkt? may of may not come with the bulbs. :erm:

hope this helps :D

if u want pics i can supply for you to be more convinced !!

:peace:

• SRC Member

Hi all thanx for the info. actually i have already 2 T-5 24 watt 10k & actinic from aquaz. But i still find tat is not bright enough, so thinking jus to add on some light to make it brighter, by a cheaper manner.. <_<

Hi bro fongster, maybe u can show me some pic. so i can have some idea of it. Thx :peace:

• SRC Member
Hi all thanx for the info. actually i have already 2 T-5 24 watt 10k & actinic from aquaz. But i still find tat is not bright enough, so thinking jus to add on some light to make it brighter, by a cheaper manner..  <_<

Hi bro fongster, maybe u can show me some pic. so i can have some idea of it. Thx  :peace:

ok here are the pics

first pic showing the bulb and how it is held in place above the tank,

forgive the lack of tidyness haha :P

post-7-1143995467.jpg