The theory behind beckett skimmers? How it works?

arcanehacker

• SRC Member

I always see becketts with very high body/chamber. Whats the reason behind it? so is it the higher the better?? ;) (Of course with a better pump but lets put this aside)

and PVC pipe chamber for beckett head are as long as the body. Does it really matter? Or can it be short and the body very tall? or taller than the body?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

i think the higher the body the longer the time for the bubbles to react and clean the water. bigger is better.

i'm not really sure what the pvc gunk pipe is used for but it should be as tall as the body

but now there's the skimmer design called bullet series which has the beckett at the base of the skimmer so whether it matters or not i'm not longer sure

• SRC Member
i think the higher the body the longer the time for the bubbles to react and clean the water. bigger is better.

i'm not really sure what the pvc gunk pipe is used for but it should be as tall as the body

but now there's the skimmer design called bullet series which has the beckett at the base of the skimmer so whether it matters or not i'm not longer sure

Yeah .. I guessed the same about the higher body issue but ... big but.. why are most venturi skimmers and needlewheel so short and still effective? Look at those H&S , deltec, etc..

The one about the PVC Pipe for beckett head, I'm still pretty baffled. Like you said, some of the becketts have beckett heads built at the base.. so whats the diff. SHould they have a long chamber/pipe? Or what?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

Yeah .. I guessed the same about the higher body issue but ... big but.. why are most venturi skimmers and needlewheel so short and still effective? Look at those H&S , deltec, etc..

The one about the PVC Pipe for beckett head, I'm still pretty baffled. Like you said, some of the becketts have beckett heads built at the base.. so whats the diff. SHould they have a long chamber/pipe? Or what?

as fro the beckett head's position i'm confused when the new model came out. lol.

never read much into its technology

hmm as for those needlewheels, my guess is that needlewheel chops the bubbles into much finer bubbles than what u see in the beckett

my 2nd guess is that beckett pumps must be powerful to provide the pressure needed, as a result the water passes in and out of the body quickly. so in order to let the water react longer with the bubbles, a taller body is needed. with needlewheels, the pumps used for needlewheels are not strong so the water passes in and out slower and hence a smaller body is needed.

but these are just my guesses

as for which is better, hm depends on your budget. but i personally like becketts...there's this big powerful do-the-job feel when i look at them...LOL

and i quote from someone:"nothing beats the performance of a beckett becos it uses brute force"

my 2 cents :)

• SRC Member

Nah.. I'm not looking at comparing these different types.. just wondering about how becketts work..

anyone else can comment about the Beckett head chamber/pvc pipe length?