tunze or seio?

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

I feel that Tunze is a better product in terms of

1) Moving water

moving water volume over a longer length and width. But the question is that if you have a few strategically located Seio's than you can mimic this current

2) Creating currents

You can create high tide and low tide with 2 Tunze and the controllers. Question is this really necessary? For me I dont use the tide function much in my five feet but the oscillating tide more. I create a continuous circle looping current in my tank, so that detritus can be picked up and brought into the overflow

3) Controlling Speeds

Not sure of Seio but tUnze 6100 is controlleable. The lowest speed 10% is really powerful. Can blow off a prata located near it...so it can be overkill if you have corals too near the Tunze. But controlling the speed allows for different current types. In fact tidal functions can only be created if your tunze allows controllable speeds.

4) The magnets/holder / Size of the damn thing

Me not sure of Seio, but if your five footer has eurobracing, then you will have problems mouting the Tunze and directing the current (if this was your reason for purchasing it). You need the magnet couplers..Cost about $70 to $90 depending on the thickness of your tank. ALso the tunze pump is huge..and ugly looking..I got no way of hiding it and getting maximal current flow.The seio pump is cuter

5) Cost

Yes this is the biggest issue. My entire Tunze setup (2 x6100 + 7095 Multi controller) set me back about $1200. Whereas a similar Seio Setup maybe only $600 (I think)... But personally I think its worth it, because next to Oxygen, PH and light, current flow is critical in avoiding blindspots or areas of high detritus buildup. Plus if you are running an LPS tank like myself, there is nothing that beats seeing your red gono's tentatcles swing left for 5 secs and then right for 5 secs....and the rippling wave effect on the water surface and seeing the firefish fight against the currents. Beats the investment although ...damn they're ugly looking German products. :)

Although I just sold my Tunze Multicontroller w/ Turbelle 7200/2 due to upgrading... I will still go for the Tunze.

If budget is the main deciding factor... I guess u don't even have to ask this question as no matter what, u will go for the Seio.

However, if you have the budget... then here's what I think:

• The Tunze Multicontroller is a heck-of-a piece of high-tech equipment. For merely $300+ you get a multicontroller that is so flexible and conplex... u will probably need a few weeks to fully understand how the whole thing works.

• Blah blah blah... If I am to go on, it will take me 30min of my working time to finish this post.

• In short, it's like comparing a Mercedes Benz with a japanese car (no mention of brand... coz can get very sensitive, lol).

So go to the Tunze website, you will never, ever regret getting it. You can have my word... :D

But if you have to sacrifice lunches and dinners for it, then think twice.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Tunze will be a gd long term investment especailly with the controller that enable u ti regulate the speed of the current to simulate the actual environment.

There's a thread that show Seio with multicontroller. Maybe that will be a cheaper alternative! ;)

SGREEFCLUB

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Bought a seio 1100, in less than 1 month, spoilt lao. the glass shaft broke twice. Decided to buy a Tunze. Which model is good for a 5 ft tank?Is 6060 enough?

Tunze is a very good wave maker. If buget allow, try to get those model (e.g 6000) that you can contol the power of the flow or even with multi control 7095.

;) Not sure whether 6060 is suitable as it depend on the volume of your tank.

Maybe 6080 is better off, see spec below:

Specifications

For aquariums of 400 - 1000 l (105.6 - 264.1 US gal.)

Output: 8500 l/h,(2,245 US gal./h)

Speed control: No

Pump wattage: 19W

Voltage / Frequency: 230 V / 50 Hz

• SRC Member

wat model depends on wat u wanna keep ma

if u wan sps and your liverocks is heavy scaped, think u might even wanna consider 6100

if your rockscape like mine, little bit bit then 6060 is ok also.

1 big disadvantage about seio is the power consumption

i not money buy tunze :D so i'm actually using seio for trying to make current for my sps. the only advantage i can think of is its smaller and cheaper. IF i had the money, i would go for tunze. but frankly for the budget concious i sincerely think seio would suffice

aniway, regarding controllablity, seio is coming up with this

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...topic=46959&hl=

• SRC Member
Is seio a great subsitute to the expensive tunze?

How many do I need? Was advised 2 x M1500 or 1 x 6100? price huge dif ! !

Is controller really important?

eh bro

i just bought the 6100 today

seriously, i now take back all the praises i sing for seio

tunze rocks!!!

even at min speed of about 3000L/hr it moves more water than my seio1100 which is supposed to move 4500L/hr

if u got money, TUNZE! :D

• SRC Member

eh bro

i just bought the 6100 today

seriously, i now take back all the praises i sing for seio

tunze rocks!!!

even at min speed of about 3000L/hr it moves more water than my seio1100 which is supposed to move 4500L/hr

if u got money, TUNZE! :D

So it still Tunze for wave maker :evil: