EcoSystem (Miracle Mud) Method for SPS

Looks like IcecruncherZ & Williammuk got the first step sucessful :)

Williammuk, does your PH fluctuate alot since you only maintain light for 6 hours cycle? Also any yellowing of the water since caulerpa will goes asexual during lights off?

Prune and throw is a waste, why not give it to fellow reefers :P .

How is the water quality of the tank, any nitrate, strotium and iodine detected?

Thanks.

this is the lab analysis of the MIRACLE MUD....

http://www.inlandreef.com/MManalysis.html

Conclusions

The analysis indicates that Miracle Mud is 30% silicon. This mostly likely exists in Miracle Mud as silicon dioxide, which is most commonly found in nature as quartz. As pointed out by Randy Holmes-Farley, the molecular weight of silicon makes up less than half the molecular weight of silicon dioxide. So if the silicon present is all in the form of silicon dioxide, Miracle Mud is more than 63% quartz. This seems to be confirmed by the photos.

The high levels of metals (especially Aluminum, Iron and Titanium) are also a point of concern.

In addition, no traces of any marine sediment were found in any microscopic examination - no oolitic sand grains, no shell fragments, no diatoms or any other remnants of marine life. An acid test conducted by Shane Graber indicates no carbonates are present in Miracle Mud. It is difficult to reconcile these facts with the manufacturer's claim that "Miracle Mud is 80% oceanic mud."

:thanks: roidan,

but me just software engineer, me no chemist nor biologist.

Anyway I'll try out my garden mud in parallel with miracle mud to see which works better :lol:

• SRC Member

I've a layer of MM (5lbs) on top of my DSB in my sump/refug (2ft tank) with 24/7 of 36w PL light over it. Ive been having it for over a year already.

During the 1st 3 month .. my sump was full of cyano algae.. but amazingly .. the display tank still looks great with bristleworm & pods multiplying fast...

I added a surge device (Carlson surge design) to my sump few months back and it seems to improve the growth rate of the macroalgae ..

Ive not been running any skimmer for the past 1 1/2 years .. and dont perform regular water change neither.. the only additive i dose r calcium & carbonate buffer

• SRC Member
I've a layer of MM (5lbs) on top of my DSB in my sump/refug (2ft tank) with 24/7 of 36w PL light over it. Ive been having it for over a year already.

Anyone tried MM *under* a layer of sand? Just thought this may be less messy.

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

After I went out with my dad yesterday...he was driving behind this loaded truck.

And somehow the stuff on the truck reminded me of miracle mud.

I have this gut feeling that miracle mud = marine clay? :evil:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

whatever mud.. as long as it helps in macroalgae growth without any other side effect.. its good

Kent marine BioSediment is half the price of MM (in eAquaNature.com) .. anyone care to give it a try?

• SRC Member

Now here's a wild idea....Would it be possible to use FW planted tank substrate? What are the upsides/downsides? (don't know much about these substrates.....)

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

whatever mud.. as long as it helps in macroalgae growth without any other side effect.. its good

Kent marine BioSediment is half the price of MM (in eAquaNature.com) .. anyone care to give it a try?

Totally agree :D . If my night soil can do it, trust me, I'll try it :P

I will start to study the system parameters carefully once it's stable (hopefully after 3-6 months), thereafter I'll include stuff in the refugium to make up for the deficiency such as Kent Marine bio-sediment, Mineral mud and maybe a layer of aragonite on top of miracle mud.

My ultimate goal is to create a system that is equivalent (or better :D ) than Berlin system but more effordable and maintainable.

Now here's a wild idea....Would it be possible to use FW planted tank substrate? What are the upsides/downsides? (don't know much about these substrates.....)

I suppose if there aren't any harmful metals, nitrate and phosphate, it should be ok. But I wouldn't try :P .