White, bubbly like spot on fins of my Yellow Tang

Just got this tang on Saturday, however, it seems to be hiding behind the rocks. When it came out to nibble on the red bamboo this morning, noticed these bubbly spots on the fins... How can I help my fish? Would it affect my other tangs and fishes? I know for freshwater, I can just increase the salt level, change water and add a heater... what about marine? :unsure:

The yellow tang seems to be panting, stressed and reddish veins can be seen...now hiding from light in one corner, and laying on it's side... should i tank it out from the tank and just give it air? sigh, hope it makes it through tonight...the rest of the tank mates are eating garlic soaked food, and eating quite a fair bit...

most likely what ur tang enocounter is called ich . most tangs are susceptible to this illness. if ich happen to be in ur tank , they will be in your tank almost forever .

to totally eradicate them , either fishless or hypo for 8 weeks should clear them.

weak fishes in ur tank will be susceptible to ich attack.

take a look at the pinned thread in the parasite control forum .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

most likely what ur tang enocounter is called ich . most tangs are susceptible to this illness. if ich happen to be in ur tank , they will be in your tank almost forever .

to totally eradicate them , either fishless or hypo for 8 weeks should clear them.

weak fishes in ur tank will be susceptible to ich attack.

take a look at the pinned thread in the parasite control forum .

hmm... but my pac blue and purple tangs are fine... so are the other fishes... anyways, feeding garlic guard soaked food... :paiseh:

• 2 weeks later...

sigh, was going to get UV, then saw this:

Pro Series  Cure Ich™ from AquaPharm

safe for corals and invertebrates

is a scientifically formulated medication for the control

of marine ich (white spot).  It contains no copper and

it is safe for corals, invertebrates and delicate fish and

will not damage the biological filter.

Cure Ich™ also eliminates the free swimming parasites

that feed on the fish and end up leaving an open wound

which eventually cause a bacterial infection. Symptoms

may include any white spots, body fungus, visible sores

or wounds, discoloration, fish rubbing against objects,

loss of appetite and increased respiration.

Cure Ich™ is also a treatment of Velvet, Coral fish

disease (Oodinium), Slimy skin disease (Brooklynella),

Fin and tail rot, Mouth fungus (Flexibacter Columnaris).

Thought, wow, a solution safe for my invertebrates! Went home happily and tried... my skunk shrimp seemed fine initially, but rolled over after an hour... hope my sand dollar would pull through...

sigh... now just let the tank be free from ich, then will add carbon, then maybe get other invertebrates...

• SRC Member

if you intend to keep tangs. consider getting a UV. used to have this problem, once i got it, have not lost a fish due itch since (rather mostly from fights/not feeding).

some reefers dont like too much UV though. it irridiates indiscriminately. hence may kill the good stuff in the water as well(that's what i understand).

another option is ozone. but got to find out more b4 using cause it has it's own cons as well.

even though you've taken out the sick fish, chances are your tank water is still carrying the infection. UV and ozone is to kill those floating around in water.

good luck.

its gd to QT yr fishes before adding them into the main tank.

if your tank has aready been affected with ich , it'll be a PITA just to get rid of it.

yes, really a PITA... day 4 of treatment and my purple tang still covered with white spots... :(