Eels

NavIgatoR

anibody here keep an eel b4??n wat species is suitable for 2 ft or 3 ft tanks,do tank cover is neccesary on keeping tis creature??... :thanks:

• SRC Member

I have a snowflake eel in a 1ft nano cube.. actually it already outgrown its tank already :P .. I think people are gonna flame me for this :lol:

Its probably about bit <1.5ft. It doesn't grow very thick like some moray eels thats why it still looks ok in that tank.

Hardy creatures.. has been with me for close to 2yrs. Can go without food for bout 1 week. Eats FW mollies every 3-4 days. Oh one thing, mine looks abit pinkish instead of ivory white.. must be from all the mollies :lol:.

Good for beginners. B)

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Oh yah.. cover might be neccessary. Although mine is a JBJ nano cube, I took out the hood. The eel jumped out once... 3ft down :blink: . that was many many months back ;) .. luckily I was at home. Guess what.. I didn't know it was out until I smelled something very fishy... yeah.. eels smells fishy and metalic when they are out of water.. <_< ..

I still do not use a cover :whistle .

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
Erm, they might make a meal out of your clowns. IMO, its better to have a covered tank if you want to keep an eel. Saw 1 escape from AM's tank before....the smell caught me before i saw it. I was pretty gross....the smell i mean... :sick:

ya.. but i saw at china town.. there selling eels.. small one le, but quite long.. scared put in le eat my fishes.. haha :evil::lol:

Buying 2x2x2 tank cabinet with sump :) pm me!

• SRC Member

Sorry bro.. mines a ghost eel. I always tot snowflake and ghost are the same. ;) ..

Errm no.. I dun think you can keep it with any other small fishes like clown.. unless your clown is a larger one. It should be possible with a large fish like a tang or lionfish.

yeah Qxnviolet... the smell always gets noticed first. ;):P .. funny thing is in water its perfectly fine.. no smell, unless you stick your hand in the water.. :whistle

snowflake is good for begineers. It is not too aggressive but it does attack fishes when there is a chance, so be careful of that. My clown got eaten by my snowflake. Snowflake can be kept in a small tank but usually people would keep eels in more than 2 ft tanks as it needs some space to hide under the rock in the sand . And ya, when it gets familiar with the environment in the tank, it will swim on the surface of water at times and if got shocked by other fishes, it will jump out of water. :)

• SRC Member

my cousin has kept an eel few months back, i think adult size, quite long....in a 5 ft tank( specially for it).

i think he fed it dead prawns( if i remember, its cooked prawns, cause its orange)...and eels are kinda 'blind'....have to brinng the prawn right in frront of it to sense it, even by smell <_<

mix with fish? according to him, he said can be mixed, cause maybe that particular species takes prawns only....

juz my 2cents

• SRC Member
hmm a ghost eel :blink: ...u gt the pic bro....cn show it to me??where do you get it??

errm.. didn't take any pics.. you should be able to find it off the web. Its ivory white in colour.. feed them mollies and you'll see them change to abit pinkish.. :P

I dun think mine eats dead things.. I've seen it for myself.. if it bites the fish and it slips off the mouth. The fish will probably be dead and the eel will ignore it totally and go for another live one.. <_<

Yeah.. they are pretty blind.. they use the sense of smell. So if you happen to change your feeder fishes' water, its better to live them there for a day or 2 before feeding them to the eel. or maybe someone can try coating them with garlic.. :lol:

• SRC Member

yeah.. very picky.. anyway they can know they can go without food for 1 week.. no sweat. So manybe thats why so picky :P.