Skimz CR 1500

shoelevy

• SRC Member

Hi Shoe,

The parameters seems low for a fludising CR. Can share some insight?

i thought so too.

that's why i'm trying to fine tune it. see how the effluent output will be.

and i'll need time for that cos i'm leaving the country soon.

hopefully the values will go up.

• SRC Member
alrighty, i do believe the tuning has come to be decent

these are the values i get

kh:30

Ca: 425

Mg (Grotech Mg media) :1125

ph:6.45

all test kits made using salifert

allow me to share my experience during this period when i didn't update.

i notice that once the ph drops below 6.7, the CR starts to run milky...and this presents a problem of choking the outlet. however, one should note that all CR tend to choke after some time of use. so i highly recommend a dosing pump as after i installed the SP3000 from aquamedic, the effluent drip rate is EXtremely stable.

the milky appearance of the rowalith media is to my understanding, not an issue becos a few other reefers i know also haf this observations even though they use other CR brands.

i think this concludes my review and i shall fine tune the values of the effluent output.

thanks all!

PS:the new CR has a probe holder, somemore selling at same price...DArn, should have waited abit more before i buy. :lol:

careful bro....something does not seems quite right....i run mine CR at PH 6.3 using rowith c+, and water doesn't turn milky.....i have also been running my old CR for close to 1 1/2 years (the current new one only 3 months... :P ) and has never never choke on me.....

it is really NOT common for CR to choke as i know of other reefers not facing these type issues....;)

frankly, the quick time you shows me a bit scary...i have seen fluidizing action on deltec before and must say its not as 'violent' as the one you show....could the 'flying' media be the one causing the choke? you might want to try filling up with more media to stop it from flying up too much....:D

• SRC Member

tigger, i used 1bb/sec to obtain sth like 6.5

tineng, its quite confusing for me cos another of my friend who uses the deltec says his cr also runs milky with rowalith. so i also abit confused sometimes. and i can't fill up with more media becos excess co2 bubbles will kick the media and then they will get to the circulation pump which might choke it. so...i'm still trying hard to figure out the CR

perhaps i'm doing sth wrong here

lemme tell you wat settings i use then perhaps u can help me abit

last night i managed to hit 6.4, Cr was milky as it always has and the values of the effluent are as posted in the previous posting.

i was bubbling at about 60bb/min. driprate was sth like 3/4 the vol of a continuous stream

then alas, this morn i woke up it choked...and it was the milky powder that collected at the outlet. so today i try to increase the flowrate but that means i must increase the bb count. now its at 80-90bb/min and the ph is 6.6.

i can't get it to clear up cos the moment it clears up, the ph is about 6.7 and the effluent is less than ideal. if i try to get it ideal at ph about 6.4 and below, it will run milky. so i'm also quite clueless to this.

i can't help it if the fluidising action is so violent...:lol:, it comes with the cr. perhaps its meant to be used with ARM or sth

any ideas?

• SRC Member
Hi Shoe,

Thanks for sharing. Pls keep us updated on the performance of the CR.

hi bro

thanks for the appreciation

always glad to contribute esp when dealing with such ex equipment, i'm sure alot of people also would like to hear comments :D

ok! u wanted the update well here it is

something funny is happening!

i left the CR to run on its own, guess what, somehow the media doesn't fluidise as violently anymore, the milkiness has CLEAR and the ph is actually still at 6.4... :idea::ooh::blink::D

i seriously have NO IDEA why this happened, but one thing i can say is the strong fluidising action was probably what caused the cloudiness by kicking alot of rowa dust into the cr chamber itself. now the fluidising action has somehow on its own diminished and the cr runs clear and the outlet no longer chokes! but now that the fluidising action as dropped i guess....hmm...i also dunno wat to guess...lol, it just works fine now!

i shall leave it to run and test water again

• SRC Member

hi bro

thanks for the appreciation

always glad to contribute esp when dealing with such ex equipment, i'm sure alot of people also would like to hear comments :D

ok! u wanted the update well here it is

something funny is happening!

i left the CR to run on its own, guess what, somehow the media doesn't fluidise as violently anymore, the milkiness has CLEAR and the ph is actually still at 6.4... :idea::ooh::blink::D

i seriously have NO IDEA why this happened, but one thing i can say is the strong fluidising action was probably what caused the cloudiness by kicking alot of rowa dust into the cr chamber itself. now the fluidising action has somehow on its own diminished and the cr runs clear and the outlet no longer chokes! but now that the fluidising action as dropped i guess....hmm...i also dunno wat to guess...lol, it just works fine now!

i shall leave it to run and test water again

heheheh...did you clean the media before putting them in? rowith does require a good wash to get those small stuff out of the way.....;)

anyway, when you test your water again, do try to test also the KH of the tank water and use a measuring cup to find the exact amount of water that pass through the unit.....

it is actually quite meaningless to say your CR provide a KH of 35 if you never take the inherent KH value of the water going in.....i realise this mistake when comparing my CR with another of my friend with similar CR and setup.....his reading is 45++, mine one 38.....but he was running his tank at 14 dKH while mine goes between 7-8dkh......:P

another misconception is when a CR can support 4 footer, 5 footer, 6 footer.....by right is more important to calulate your total consumption a day....turn off CR or kalk dosing, measure how far the value drop, then multiply this value by your KH lost....then before buying the CR, asked around for people who have similar setup....beg him to help caluate the KH provided by his CR in a day (KHout - KHin)xdrip rate a day.....then you will know comfortable if the CR is able to support your setup.....;) or course if you CR is by those well known brand, they might have already provided you with some charts on the capablitliy of thier unit.....;)

• SRC Member
heheheh...did you clean the media before putting them in? rowith does require a good wash to get those small stuff out of the way.....;)

anyway, when you test your water again, do try to test also the KH of the tank water and use a measuring cup to find the exact amount of water that pass through the unit.....

it is actually quite meaningless to say your CR provide a KH of 35 if you never take the inherent KH value of the water going in.....i realise this mistake when comparing my CR with another of my friend with similar CR and setup.....his reading is 45++, mine one 38.....but he was running his tank at 14 dKH while mine goes between 7-8dkh......:P

another misconception is when a CR can support 4 footer, 5 footer, 6 footer.....by right is more important to calulate your total consumption a day....turn off CR or kalk dosing, measure how far the value drop, then multiply this value by your KH lost....then before buying the CR, asked around for people who have similar setup....beg him to help caluate the KH provided by his CR in a day (KHout - KHin)xdrip rate a day.....then you will know comfortable if the CR is able to support your setup.....;) or course if you CR is by those well known brand, they might have already provided you with some charts on the capablitliy of thier unit.....;)

hey bro.

i did wash the media before putting it in.

sigh me and my itchy hands. just now i wanted to check if the circulation pump was stuck so i drained the cr and take out the pump. and it wasnt stuck.

now i reconnect it and the fluidising effect is back -__-

so now the cr is milky again!

alamak guess i need to wait for it to settle down again. so i guess the culprit for that strong fluidising effect was not the pump but all the excess air that i didn't bleed out well initially

ok bro, i will take note of measuring the kh in and the kh out as well, thanks for that input, didn't thought of it until u mentioned it :D

bro, i do not understand this part

"turn off CR or kalk dosing, measure how far the value drop, then multiply this value by your KH lost"

what do i take to multiply to my kh lost? and what's the significance of the value calculated?

• SRC Member

say say say say hoooo!

so i finally realised the strong fluidising action was caused by the presense of all the excess air bubbles trapped when i drain the cr and filled it up with water again. and that caused the Cr to become milky.

by following the steps below for proper excess air removal last night, my cr runs clear now

1)drain the whole CR

2)fill up the CR by feeding it WITHOUT turning on the eheim pump (leave it to run with the outlet FULLY OPENED for about half a day or a few hours at least, this will drain off the bubbles) i left it overnight

3)on the eheim pump for about 1hr (with the outlet fully opened) and it was clear already!

i'm already re-introducing co2 but unfortunately i am leaving the country later so i can't update with the CR effluent output. nonetheless, i shall comeback and test the effluent to update this thread.

next ph i should be aiming for is 6.2-6.3

cheers :)