coral1.jpg

2nd coral bought from Qxnviolet

coral2.jpg

3rd coral also from Qxnviolet

coral3.jpg

coral4.jpg

4th coral also from Qxnviolet

coral5.jpg

5th coral stubborn sun nv wan to open up.. maybe got no wave maker :)

coral6.jpg

My Garden Eel relaxing on the sand bed

coral6.jpg

Cute Bao Yu keeping for CNY :evil:

baoyu.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Bro perhaps you wanna check why your photos are so blur... r u using a digital camera? If yes, check the lense... if the light of the tank is good enough, then no need flash... coz some of your pics are over-exposed

Suns do open at odd hours (they don't depend on light)... maybe you entice it with a bit of food... sprinkle near it... it will open up if they are hungry :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

wah what finally.. bery long meh :evil:

i'm using a DC but i think the main problem is the outer glass panel of my tank i s fogging.. used a cloth to whip it le but still abit fog sorry about it.. i might be restructle the LR seems that my cute doly has to squeeze here and there.. maybe making the gap bigger.

• SRC Member

i'm also not too sure what sand is that.. but dun worry its not those freshwater tank sand.. if fact it looks more like those beach sand.. maybe the ex owner collect from the beach :)

wanted to upgrade to grade 1 live sand but buget abit tight now :sick:

• SRC Member

xersion: thats u nice specimen of sun coral u have there. :)

If you are still in the process of "nursing" that sun coral till it opens up, you might wanna look into the water flow... sun corals like moderate to strong water flow running past it.

regarding target-feeding the sun coral, jevismun mentioned using the syringe to squirt food to target feed. U can buy syringe from places like Watson (from its pharmacy) for as little as 45cents.

Feed the suns with cyclopeeze, brine, mysis, (yea, even pellets) it eats anything~ cyclopeeze quite common to find in LFS, no worries.

If u wanna "coax" the sun corals to bloom faster :

1) try taking it out (fast) and placing it into a smaller plastic tank/container with some water from ur tank. (Avoid exposing the sun coral to air for too long a period, keep it submerged in water ya?).

2)Afterwhich, dose plently of phytoplanton (the green bottle of "Xiao Mai Chao" into the little tank where ur sun coral is, let it stay for 5 mins.

3) in the meantime, on a separate little plastic cup, soak ur frozen brine/mysis/cyclopeeze in a little of ur tank water... let the frozen cube spread out, then withdraw all the contents into the syringe.

4) after about 5 -10 mins, the sun coral would have responded to the dose of phytoplanktons and would probably have opened up a bit. Thats where u squirt slowly the food from the syringe onto each of the polyps.

If the food sticks to the tentacles, congrats to you. it will slowly feed in. and bloom the next time...

This method is good as in u flood the sun coral with food in a separate container, not in ur tank, so u dun have to compromise the water quality in ur tank.

Note that u may have to conduct this 'exercise' over about 2- 3 days, depending on how stubborn the sun corals are (this depends on ur luck). Stick to the same timing when u feed the sun coral, the sun coral will "remember" this timing and will be opened and waiting for u the next day.

Subsequently, sun corals will open within 10 mins whenever it smells food...

Good luck to you. nice tank setup. Liverocks a bit clustered, spread out a bit, so ur Blue Tang has more space to swim in and out.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member
thanks bro Elune.. will us ur tips later.. as for the LR i know its abit cluster.. will try to arrange it this weekend or next week end.. but i'm abit noob on rocks designing :lol:

So how did ur fish respond to e feeding of mysis??yumyum :P

• SRC Member
So how did ur fish respond to e feeding of mysis??yumyum 

LOL the fish are swimming about feeding on ur mysis shrimp.. but got a big problem is my LR.. all clam at 1 corner must really make more hole soon le.. if not i think eevery 2 days much change water :(

• SRC Member

LOL the fish are swimming about feeding on ur mysis shrimp.. but got a big problem is my LR.. all clam at 1 corner must really make more hole soon le.. if not i think eevery 2 days much change water :(

y must change water every 2 days i dun understd???

• SRC Member

Is that a 3ft tank? Maybe you should add some wavemaker for better flow in your tank. No need to go for the expensive ones. Any 600L/hr to 1000L/hr to powerhead should to the trick :lol: See that you have another tank under this marine tank. Planted?

• SRC Member
Is that a 3ft tank? Maybe you should add some wavemaker for better flow in your tank. No need to go for the expensive ones. Any 600L/hr to 1000L/hr to powerhead should to the trick  See that you have another tank under this marine tank. Planted?

yo yo.. yap thats a 3ft tank.. wanan to get a 2nd hand wavemaker but *ahem* kenna tight now lolx will get next mth.. yap below is planted tank.. now not very nice.. think almost become cherry shrimp heavens soon :D

If you have the budget, getting a Tunze 6000 + Single Controller is good enough for a 3 ft. Alternatively, SEIOs are quite well known too... but yes, if you want your corals to stay healthy, you need all-round circulation... bad water circulation can also increase algae (especially on the sand bed) and high nutrients as all the detritus and poos are trapped on the sand bed or live rocks.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica