Need advice on Crocea

Patrick

• SRC Member

Bought my 1st claim a crocea few days ago. Need some advice from the claim experts. I wanted to move it from sandbed to higher up on a rock. When I picked up the clam holding the shell it did not close. Only when I gently apply some pressure then it closed abit. Is this a bad sign? I know it is still alive cuz it started to open wide when left alone and the exhalant valve is moving. When fishes swim pass it will suddenly close and open abit. But after a while it appear quite bo chap - dun seemed to be disturbed by passing fishes. Read in this forum that when touched or when fishes pass by, or when light changed, a healthy clam will close suddenly with some force.

• SRC Member

Haha...no need to worry, when your clams gets used to all the activity around it, it will stay open even with fishes brushing against it. And please do not try and apply pressure to your crocea to make it close, why would you want to do that? :unsure: Does your clam come attached on a piece of rock? If not it'll attach itself on your LRs and you'll have a hard time removing it later....anyway, your clam should be alright, no worries. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

Thanks bro for your advice. I tried to close it out of curiosity :P . Bought it from AM at $1* closer to $2*. Was told very healthy so I was abit concern seeing the inhalant hole opened quite big and then it does not close even when I pick it up :unsure: Tonite go back see how it is. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Thanks bro. It is looking OK with mantle fully extended but shell not opening wide. Mantle contracts when fishes swim passed. Read that crocea is the most difficult to keep...haiz should have taken a maxima instead. <_<

• SRC Member

lol

dun panic la bro

since u buy leaw take 1 step at a time see what happens.

anyway last time i had 2 of them...then they just suddenly died off overnight, think its the dreadful clam disease. oh well, i'll never know what happened