My 5 feet upgrade

Hi bro... have you tried logging into Reefdepot.com.sg? They do offer delivery to nearby countries (I suppose)... I know them quite well... if $$$ is not an issue... then you shouldn't settle for second-class equipments :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

If you have the money and heat and elect is any issue... I would rather go for Red Dragon pump and Bubble King skimmer.

I have been a very happy user on these product for 1.5yrs... the pump run so cool that having it internal or external dont make much of the different.

Also the elect consuming is low with RD12, it's running on 12,000L/H and using only 110watt only.

And all pump do have a build in of what we call CA bypass where you will never have issue on calcium build up in your pump which kill the pump.

And not to mention the king of all skimmer, I'm using a BK 300 and the kind of bubble and skimmate it produce is something u can never dream.

The water intake from BK300 is 4000L/H and 2000L/H for air intake. So for a 5ft tank running on that you can pack your fish and yet never have any nutrient problem to worry about.

buying from singapore?

i did say $$ is not an issue...i stand corected

$$ is not MUCH an issue.....unless wat im paying for is double the market value and i dont get warranty watsoever.

warranty for me is a major issue. buying something only to receive and finding them not working, is a big scare..

so im still sticking to Atman pumps and use 2 SCWD wavemakers on them. basically, no matter what brand the product comes under, i do not want any electrical gear in my main tank.

buying from singapore?

i did say $$ is not an issue...i stand corected

$$ is not MUCH an issue.....unless wat im paying for is double the market value and i dont get warranty watsoever.

warranty for me is a major issue. buying something only to receive and finding them not working, is a big scare..

so im still sticking to Atman pumps and use 2 SCWD wavemakers on them. basically, no matter what brand the product comes under, i do not want any electrical gear in my main tank.

Seriously, check out Reefdepot.com.sg... they do deliver to neighbouring countries. You can also try eaquanature.com

You sure you not throwing in 2 Tunzes? :lol: Coz nothing beats the real wavemaker...

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

.....unless wat im paying for is double the market value and i dont get warranty watsoever.

No, I think Singapore is still quite reasonable when it comes to imported stuff especially from Germany. Malaysia for example has a very high tariff on German made stuff... prob lesser diplomatic/economic ties.

All imported stuff come with at least 1 year warranty... that is to be fixed back in Singapore... maybe a problem for you... but generally if you are to get Tunze (for example)... the chances of product failure due to bad production is almost unheard of.

Not trying to promote Singapore sites, but it may offer you more variety in the long run... knowing that there are only 2 LFS in Brunei and neighbouring Sarawak can be quite expensive... should be more expensive than Kuala Lumpur. Unless you are to buy from Labuan, heard that's a free trade zone.

• SRC Member

I have a 150 gal (5x2x2) LPS tank in Singapore and was initially cooling it with a CL450 down to 27 Celsius, but the CL450 was running more than 50% of the time! I wanted the tank temp at 26 celsius. The CL650 might have a slightly better duty cycle on a 150 gal tank, but I would certainly recommend a 1/2 HP chiller if you can get one. I am now using a Resun CO-500 and am quite happy with it (the fan noise is a little loud, so the chiller is installed on the balcony).

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice big tank... envy... keep posting!!!

will get a few moar pics once i can et hold of a decent digicam.

im still short of LR, ive got 80kg in that tank and its still 2/3 empty. really jealous with you lot being able to trade and bargain LR there.

currently the tank has a 3-4" DSB O grade. looks really nice and white, but i dont know how i will be able to clean it in the future cos im used to coarse sand. if i used a siphon im pretty sure i will be ###### the sand out as well. any tips on this?

another question, im gona get a moray or garden eel once i done with inverts. anyone here can explain me how an eel can crawl out of a tank? cos mine wud not have a closed hood.

Thanks in advance!

here's waht i intend to have for LS in me tank

- cleaner crews (gangs of hermits, snails and cukes)

- LTA or RBTA, which does best with 2x250mH?

- 1 giant clam

- 2 derasa

- 3 tangs from list (yellow, chevron, sailfin and powder blue)

- 2 lawnmower/scooter blennies

- 1 flame angel

- 1 pair of clownfish (either ocellaris or skunk)

- 1 eel (moray/garden)

- a school of shoalers (maybe black/gold chromis?)

- 2 gobies (yasha hase/two spot/firefish)

ornamental shrimps

- 2 skunks

softies and 2 to 3 acros

basically i want me tank to be filled with lotsa clams :)

• 1 month later...

Heyas reefers

Been long since i updated this thread

I've been doing lotsa DIY solo so was quite engaged all the time. Din have that much physical help from others.

So here's an update of the tank. Some pictures below taken using my new Nikon Collpix L3, a budget DC.

060806fulltank.jpg

060806closeup01.jpg

060806closeup02.jpg

060806closeup03.jpg

so far ive been gettin equipment both decent and poor ones. below are specs of the tank as of today:

EQUIPMENT:

Lighting : MoZoo fixture 2x150MH + 2 Acts ; Arcadia Fixture 2x39w T5

Chiller : Resun CL450 (the tank is also heated by a 1.5 hp aircon directly above it)

Skimmer : AquaMedic TurboFlotor Multi SL 1000

Main pump : Atman AT-107 ; Chiller pump Atman AT-104

PH : 1 x MoZoo 2300 (2300L/H) ; 2 x AquaClear 301 (685L/H)

---------------------------------------------

LIVESTOCK:

1 x Green LTA

2 x Rock Anemone

3 x Serpent Star

1 x Sand sifting star

1 x Coral Banded Shrimp

4 x Common red Hermit crabs

5 x Cowrie

Assorted number of turbo, cerith and nassarius

1 x Tomato clown

1 x black cardinal fish

1 x Pagoda Cup Coral

1 x Scroll Coral

Mushroom colonies : Green, red, hairy and blue (around 10 rocks)

2 x jewel

1 x bubble

1 x torch

1 x leather

So far i'm putting a plug into my livestock addition, will add a few more in 2 weeks time. including tangs and pratas

On a side note, my Nikon is a 5.1 megapixel camera with macro. but when i take pics the pics arent as clear as most pics i see taken using cameras of the same standard. any special settings that i need to erm, set? :peace:

Very nice looking... coming along nicely... I think your camera is not doing too badly... you might need to use photo editing software to further enhance the pix.

moar pics with a tripod this time.. why are my pics ignoring the details?

Much better with a tripod... well our "point-and-shoot" digicams ignore the details coz they are built to be different from SLR/DSLR... personally I think your zoom in pix are good and details are showing up nicely... did you do any photo retouching/enhancement to it? Another reason you don't get much detail on your FTS is... there isn't much details for the camera to shoot :)

for my next buy:

shud i add more mushrooms or shud i add moar variety like frogspawns and brains?

i am definitley getting 2-3 pratas for the tank, and a few maximas plus a gigas im eyeing in the LFS

for mobile livestock im adding in the next buy:

2 fire shrimp / cleaner shrimp

1 yellow tang

1 sailfin tang

1 yellow clown goby

and i'll go for a final trip to get

1 blue tang

1 flame angel

1 algae blenny

and that wud be it, altho im tempted to get a Foxface Lo too....

If you want your pix to show more details... perhaps adding more variety will help... mushrooms are too "rock-hugging" :)

How big is the Gigas you eyeing? I bought a brown piece (yeah brown :o) last weekend and it is a rather small Gigas... around 4"

I am planning to introduce Red Sea Sailfin Tang also... saw it in someone's tank in the US... they are extremely beautiful compared to the Indo ones. You may want to consider getting more than 1 Yellow Tang... what about introducing a school of 3 or more?