My 5 feet upgrade

Heyas

Im a newbie here so guten tag to all!

Im a bruneian and a glad bruneian at that because i just found the reef forum that is closest to home. I can relate to the stuff being said here as opposed to RC.

heres the facts

i'm upgrading to a 150g 5x2x2 by next week. I have most of the gear i need minus the plumbing.

Soes this thread is like them RC 'building a tank' thread. Will have some pics so0n of the new tank and the gear!

I am currently doing my plans on my closed loop system. Ive got my old 4 foot running still but not a show tank now cos most of the stuff in there i donated.

here's an idea of my closed loop and my aquascaping. I think i need one Seio on the right side. :fear:

post-34-1148531181.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... 2 Tunze Stream running alternating current using Multicontroller 7095... heaven :angel:

Do post more pictures of your setup... it's nice to see setup pix... makes me wanna start another tank... hand gets itchy :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

bro jerv... y dont u go get 2 tunze n a multicontroller. u test it n show it to us. :P

bro 255 255 255 0. i think more LRs will be good.

wad equipment will you be using?

lights. cchiller. skimmer....eg

2 Tunzes are too strong for a 3ft setup. Bro Altantis is using 2 Streams for his 4ft tank. For 5ft... definitely need strong current :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

2 Tunzes are too strong for a 3ft setup. Bro Altantis is using 2 Streams for his 4ft tank. For 5ft... definitely need strong current :)

but bro 255 255 255 0 (dead ip) is gonna do up a 5 ft set up... haha...

• SRC Member

5' with mix LPS and SPS at least 1 x TS24 tunze kit plus 1 x 6100 or he can go for TS48 kit. Either one will set him back by $1500 to $2200 in Sing dollars.

But if he have closed loop then 1 x TS24 should do the trick. Wonder if Tunze is easily available in Brunei.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

thanks for the replies guys!

tunzes and seios arent available here in brunei, but i can get them couriered from britland.

still, i think i rather go for 3 closed loops. whatever i can do to keep the heat outta the tank.

my equipment wud be:

chiller : Resun CL650

skimmer : Weipro sa2014

lights : MH fixture : 14k 250w + 2 VHO actinics, 4 AquaZ T5 54wx4, arcadia T5 fixture 39x2 (for fuge)

closed loop pumps : Atman pumps

using Atman pumps

each kicking only 4300 - 4300l/h at 1foot head. after head loss calculations i'll get around 4000l/h

the closed loop will be assemble as such:

Pumps on canopy cover, sucks water in, water goes out through (90o 'r') pipe, then goes down another 'r' pipe and water return helped by gravity

wont be running any wavemakers. if i do it wud be a maxijet wavemaker tho.

Here's the plan of my twin closed loop system

the head flow pre-pump entry is only 1 feet in length, then another 1 feet post-pump if gravity becomes a factor. thus, the head loss is kept minimal.

any advice and criticism on the plan?

both loops are against the back wall, both loops will be pointed frontwards but the horizontal angle can be adjusted. the loop on the right will be partially cover by the LR, so the return pipe will be a bit longer to the front.

post-34-1148704299.jpg

chucky,

i do not have access to a cl1000. if i do i wud definitly get one. but must be resonable price tho.

btw, my LFS has a 5x2x2.5 display tank that has CL650 and the temp is always at 78fahrenheit according to several termometers. chiller is running 27celsius. tank is using 2 250MH lights.

What about Aquabee or Eheim?

will them being outside still be able to heat up the water?

I believe so... but at a much reduced heat... I guess they are alright :)

What about Aquabee or Eheim?

jervismun

u mean i shud chuck away Atmans and use external filter pumps? eheims are abit too costly if compared xxxxL/H ratio.

or if u have any other intentions as to how i can use eheim, i wud wanna hear it before i torture myself plumbing for closed loop systems.

jervismun

u mean i shud chuck away Atmans and use external filter pumps? eheims are abit too costly if compared xxxxL/H ratio.

or if u have any other intentions as to how i can use eheim, i wud wanna hear it before i torture myself plumbing for closed loop systems.

I am not an expert in plumbing... not a DIY person... can't help you much in that sense... but I do believe in getting the right equipments for the right job... in your case you need 2 reliable, low wattage, silent and low heat pumps... and if Atman ain't the right pumps for the job, I recommend you shop around first before buying them :)

Pumps are one of the few equipments that will run 24/7... so must go for the best! I just upgraded all my pumps/powerheads from Sicce to Aquabee. To me, the upgrading is worth the effort and $$$.

• SRC Member

I would go for a Deltec HLP intervall pump for the closed loop. If U chose this U will only need one pump and make two outlets with valves to regulate flow. The Deltec HLP pumps just keeps on running and U will never have to worry about upgrading. I would also make an effort making an extra hole i the bottom of the tank as the flow in to the pump also count´s as circulation and the more U spread the inlets/outlets the more U gain.

Wow... seems like we are recommending all the solid stuff here... bro I'm sure you realize this by now... great equipments command great prices!!! Haha... but for me, I will definitely invest on a great circulation/return pump and a great protein skimmer :) The rest can come later...

i second that great equipment is needed...but i live across the sea where i only have 2 LFS serving marine and around the 300000 people living down here, only 10 i wud say are into the marine hobby.

small hobbyists = small market = risk in importing expensive equipment that might sit in shelves for eternity

having said that, i did go to Sarawak yesterday and found a ViaAqua skimmer that does 300gallons. i think om going for that.

also booked a fixture with 2 x MH instead of one for that better coverage.

i wonder if anyone has ever used 'Coralife' salt? because im gonna buy the 22kg for top-off, but initially using Instant Ocean tho.

will post pics by this week hopefully.