Urgent: Pur II carbon

Hi,

I bought a bottle of pur II carbon and in it came a pouch which contain the carbon. i try placing it into my Hang On filter and to my horror, when the water run through it, my nano tank water become black in colour!!!! cause by the carbon...

i subsequently take out the pur II carbon pouch to prevent my whole nano tank from turning black.

now i try rinsing it and hopefully, it won't cause the water to turn black...

Do you guys know what is the proper way to use this?

thanks!

• SRC Member

Hi,

Well,u've already stated the right way :)

Rinse b4 use :)

Cheers...

Morpheous

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

try not to soak the carbon in tap water, contain chlorine, will reduce the effectiveness of your carbon, best is soak in treated or ro/di, distilled water

since your tank is nano tank then no point putting all the whole pouch inside, a bit overkill

better to put in like 50-100g then change in a few weeks, get a filter bag from c328, v cheap only 1 buck, then cut open the pouch and take out some.

can last longer like that

try not to soak the carbon in tap water, contain chlorine, will reduce the effectiveness of your carbon, best is soak in treated or ro/di, distilled water

since your tank is nano tank then no point putting all the whole pouch inside, a bit overkill

better to put in like 50-100g then change in a few weeks, get a filter bag from c328, v cheap only 1 buck, then cut open the pouch and take out some.

can last longer like that

hi fongster,

aiya... too late... i already rinse with tap water...

anyway, the packaging on the Pur 2 carbon say do not open the pouch leh... agree it a bit overkill for my nano tank but will too much carbon harm the inhabitant in my tank??

• SRC Member

dun worry since you already rinse then also no harm...

nah excess carbon is alright, but you must take note when to change the carbon, i dunno about pur II, most carbon will start to leech phosphate , it is a matter of time and quality; all carbon contains some amounts of phosphate.

Perhaps changing in a month or 2 ? ^_^

• SRC Member

I have used this product before. I think it not that bad a product. All I did was just put it under a running tap for about a min. DO not rub the carbon particles tog. Just let the water run through.

If you keep rubbing it tog, the water will always come out black.

After which I put it in my sump. Some put it above the filter wool and some submerge it. Mine at that time was partially submerged.

I think on the bottle if i rem correctly. it says that the pouch can be used for up to 6 mths. But I think you should get rid of it and change to a new pouch after a month to be on the safe side.

All the best to crystal clear water. :)

I have used this product before. I think it not that bad a product. All I did was just put it under a running tap for about a min. DO not rub the carbon particles tog. Just let the water run through.

If you keep rubbing it tog, the water will always come out black.

After which I put it in my sump. Some put it above the filter wool and some submerge it. Mine at that time was partially submerged.

I think on the bottle if i rem correctly. it says that the pouch can be used for up to 6 mths. But I think you should get rid of it and change to a new pouch after a month to be on the safe side.

All the best to crystal clear water. :)

yup. quite a nice product so far cos i being using to about 1 wks liao. still crystal clear water. n u r right, tat time i rub many times n yet, black water still come out till i bo chup n jus place it in my hang on filter n it looks fine now.

• SRC Member

yup. quite a nice product so far cos i being using to about 1 wks liao. still crystal clear water. n u r right, tat time i rub many times n yet, black water still come out till i bo chup n jus place it in my hang on filter n it looks fine now.

Good to hear that everything is fine.