Experimenting with terrestrial plants

• SRC Member

Hi everyone, I don't know which forum this goes to, so I'll post it here. Please let me inform you before hand that the purpose of this thread is to discuss whether terrestrial plants planted in saltwater aquarium could extract nitrates for its own 'consumption'.

It may or may not sound logical especially some people who might be skeptical and quick to jump to conclusions of disagreement.

I've done some research on this, but don't have the patience to read it through.

http://www.siu.edu/orda/igc/proceedings/01...%20nitrate'

I'm now trying to experiment on using this terrestrial plant in a SALTWATER aquarium. Maybe it could somehow replace using mangrove plants? :o

1. It can survive partially submerged in SALTWATER

2. It does not require high amounts of light

3. It is easily availble

However, I've not been able to identify the name of this plant nor prove that this plant extracts nitrates for its own 'consumption'.

If this thread receives much interest then I would continue further by perhaps providing a picture of this plant, as I do not wish to be flamed by possible skeptics. :lol::thanks:

Don't worry... experimentation is part of the hobby and why should you be flamed for it??

We encourage good debates and the sharing of knowledge. We don't encourage negativity.

Please do carry on your ideas... and let us know how it goes! :)

Cheers!

AT

• SRC Member

I hope anyone out here can identify this plant.

Have placed the plant in a DSB with saltwater and shaded area, so far no signs of leaves turning yellow. I have used this plant before for my ex-mangrove tank which was freshwater, and it even grew roots and anchored itself into the sand. Here is the pic of the plant!

Behold,

post-7-1149343644.jpg

• SRC Member
Wow...saltwater version of Aquaponic...cool...do update the threads...

Anyway, do you have a picture of the plant's flower or fruit, it will be easier to I.D. them.

Sorry, don't think there are any flowers or fruit.

But if you have neighbours who like to keep lot of potted plants outside their house (sometimes like jungle) you'll most likey spot the plant.