AQUATRONICA Aquarium Controller

jervismun

Time to check my parameters for the past couple of hours... this is a graph showing pH and Temperature... It's amazing how everything is being recorded for reference... let me see:

1) Can you see the extraordinary high pH at 12.30am? That time I was doing a recalibration using the 10.0 calibration fluid :lol:

2) Same as yesterday, my pH is at its lowest point around 12.00pm... at 7.6!!! Luckily only lasted 1 hour ;)

3) Emm... during night time, my chiller will run for 1 hour (1ºC) then rest for 2 1/2 hours :nc:

Wow... all the information... :bow::bow::bow:

post-14-1151577593.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! An interesting feature... the on/off timer can also select the DAY... emm... can use it to dose Trace Elements and etc. What other purposes? :erm:

post-14-1151579552.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

All settings can be saved or loaded... I guess more useful for the Westeners where they can have Summer/Winter settings... well for me, I will surely save an EMERGENCY setting. So in the event of an emergency, I just need to click a button and everything will change to a RED ALERT mode... cool B)B)B)

• SRC Member
Here's my latest FTV with Aquatronica Control Unit (temporarily) positioned for this photo shoot. I now position my Control Unit at my computer desk so that I can easily monitor it... and yes the Control Unit should stay far away from water :)

I am planning to send this pic together with some others to Aquatronica to be posted in their website:

www.Aquatronica.com --> Gallery section

Do you think this is good enough? :erm:

Hi Bro, can you show us some pics of the cable connection from controller to ya PC. Is it through RS232 or USB port ?

I'm wondering if you need to use long cables.

:thanks:

Hi Bro, can you show us some pics of the cable connection from controller to ya PC. Is it through RS232 or USB port ?

I'm wondering if you need to use long cables.

:thanks:

Perhaps bro Lyz77 can show a better pix coz he is very organized with everything inside the sump cabinet... for me... all the cables are still all over the place... I still have some probes (water level) not connected yet... so no point organizing it now.

USB for almost all probes :lol:

But out of the Control Unit, only 1 cable... that's all... no more no less :lol:

post-14-1151581663.jpg

• SRC Member

OK .. recalibrated the Density .. this time round 48.. still lower but at least not 26 :o

Temp recalibrated to read what my thermometer is reading ;)

I'm bored already .. run out of things to play liao :whistle

aquatronica7na.gif

The toy uses RS-232 to connect to the PC (ACQ 220)? Does the basic kit come with the USB connector (ACQ 221)?

Nope it doesn't come with the USB connector... need to go Sim Lim buy if your computer doesn't come with Serial port.

Bro Lyz77... your Power Unit is under utilize lor :lol:

I am currently using 2 only... Chiller (temp controlled) and Stream 6100 (on/off timer)

• SRC Member
Bro Lyz77... your Power Unit is under utilize lor :lol:

I am currently using 2 only... Chiller (temp controlled) and Stream 6100 (on/off timer)

No time to test out the rest of the equipment. Will probably transfer a few more pump to my socket panel during weekend. Btw, most probably may need to get another socket panel! Gonna burn another big hole liao.... :(

Dun kw when then can complete my wish list..... :snore:

I notice the orientation of the power sockets are alternating between upright and upside down. Is there any specific reason for this?

Any idea when the equivalent of the SIMMOD is going to be released?

That's a very good question... emm... will go back and find out why... will try to find the answer tonight :lol:

According to Aquatronica/LFS SIMMOD equivalent will be ready for export September 06... but knowing the Italians (Europeans in general)... I will say November 06 is a more realistic timeline... also allow a bit more time for our custom to clear... emm... been hearing lots of Singapore custom delays from various LFS <_<<_<<_<

Do you know that they are particularly strict on fish food?!? :P:P:P Also those bacteria-based products ;)

Imagine the Custom Officer...

Product description: "Cultured bacteria for removing excess nutrients in salt water aquariums" :lol::lol::lol:

What the heck :pinch::unsure:<_<

Another unbiased finding to share:

I tried connecting my Tunze 6100 to my Aquatronica. It works well, 3 sec activation, 3 sec pause (no alternating speed yet). However, I find the switching on/off sound a bit annoying... the sound is released via the Power Unit (aka Power Bar)... clicking "on" clicking "off" every 3 sec is enough to irritate me... so I decided to use back my Tunze Controller instead.

However, before you guys jump into any conclusion... here are more to consider:

1) My Power Unit is placed outside the tank, not inside any cabinet. So the clicking sound goes direct to my ears especially when my Chiller is not running. But for those of you with large setup, hiding it inside your cabinet will not give you any problem (I believe)... well the clicking sound can be easily masked by your return pump :lol::lol::lol:

2) I have hyper-sensitive ears (thanks to music cassettes, Michael Jackson and Aiwa Walkmans... oops I revealed my age) :lol: Imagine... me finding Sicce pumps unbearable... upgraded all to Aquabee... I think it's just me... <_<

3) With the launch of the SIMMOD equivalent in a few months time, all controllable Tunzes can be more efficiently controlled, with alternating speed just like a Tunze Controller... perhaps then we can really test out the feasibility of replacing the Tunze Controller with Aquatronica.

No time to test out the rest of the equipment. Will probably transfer a few more pump to my socket panel during weekend. Btw, most probably may need to get another socket panel! Gonna burn another big hole liao.... :(

Dun kw when then can complete my wish list..... :snore:

I manage to use up 4 of my 6 sockets already :P

a) Chiller (temperature controlled - graph)

b. ATI White (timer controlled)

c) ATI Blue + ATI built-in fans (timer controlled)

d) Tunze Stream 6100 + Single Controller 7091 (timer controlled)

e) Available

f) Available

I will reserve (e) for water top-up pump ---> kalkwasser dispenser

I will try to figure out also how to programme (b.) and (c.) to be permanently deactivated if the temperature reaches 29ºC :(:(:( (in other words... Chiller/Aquabee 3000 malfunction)... I might also switch off (d) to reduce heat emission.

I'm planning to connect a direct-blowing fan that connects to (a) so that everytime my chiller is activated, the air surrounding the chiller will be well ventilated... day and night :lol:

I am also planning to only activate my water top-up (e) during night time... as Kalkwasser will increase pH... dosing during the day will only widen the pH fluctuations. To achieve this, I will need the use of a conventional timer device coupled with Aquatronica Water Level Sensors :lol:

Bro Lyz77... you serious? Another Power Unit (aka Socket Panel)? Luckily you are not using IKS... or else you need 3 panels already :pinch::pinch::pinch: (Fact: IKS Power Bar comes with 4 sockets, Aquatronica 6)

Your wish list will go on and on... and it will only get worse... remember... the older you get, the more expensive your toys are going to be :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

Did u get a second temp sensor? I got mine together with the rest of the items yesterday and was planning to place it in my main tank. Maybe I will try to use the second temp sensor to deactivate my lighting! ;)

Base on the list I show u the other time, most probably need to get the 2nd socket panel!

Hv u try out your water level placing it at the min and max water level u want? Does it work?

Do u think there will be additional software required for the Ethernet module or it will just be incorporated in the next update? And oso the dosing pump? Will it be able to adjust the flowrate using either the controller or software?

I'm actually sourcing for shorter USB cable (1 ft) so that my cabling won't be so messy! :)

Did u get a second temp sensor? I got mine together with the rest of the items yesterday and was planning to place it in my main tank. Maybe I will try to use the second temp sensor to deactivate my lighting! ;)

Base on the list I show u the other time, most probably need to get the 2nd socket panel!

Hv u try out your water level placing it at the min and max water level u want? Does it work?

Do u think there will be additional software required for the Ethernet module or it will just be incorporated in the next update? And oso the dosing pump? Will it be able to adjust the flowrate using either the controller or software?

I'm actually sourcing for shorter USB cable (1 ft) so that my cabling won't be so messy! :)

Not yet, I am still using the original Temperature Sensor that comes with the Control Unit... pretty good suction cap IMO :lol: My Temperature Sensor is in my main tank now... I find the cable a bit short though ;)

Yeah you seriously need a emergency plan especially with your 400W MH!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Go ahead... just don't buy all the Power Units (aka Socket Panels)... I might need 1 more once I get my CR :lol::lol::lol:

Water Level will try this weekend... need to reorganize my back panel a bit... haiz... no Sump what to do :( Will let you know if the 1 probe (Min) 1 probe (Max) works... if not, I will place the sec probe inside my top-up freshwater bucket... to alert me when I need to replenish freshwater... hahaha I got reminder for everything... this is important to me as I can't stay focus on something for too long... this will at least remind me to do things when I am too distracted with something else... and I find the beep alert quite loud... like a alarm clock... surely won't miss :lol:

Dunno leh... most probably need to update software via internet again... or maybe a installer disc that comes with the Ethernet module... you get the ethernet, I get the sms... I think it is better/faster for me to receive alerts via sms than email (esp. during travel)

Dosing Pumps (3-in-1) confirm controlled flow-rate... no more traditional type of dosing pump using manual valve... blah :pinch: total waste of money IMO. I've ordered a piece.

Emm... I recommend you use back the original cable... not worth risking since your cabinet design can organize them quite well.

Oh I really appreciate the fact that the Serial port for the PC Kit comes with an extraordinarily long USB cable... very useful to most of us... another good sign that Aquatonica is more a MAC than a PC :lol::lol::lol:

Not sure why Aquatronica design the cable for the Desnity probe to be so short? May be due to the fact that the signal can't travel too far! ;)

True actually... the Density Probe is shorter than the rest... probably... the probe and the cable are also thicker... coz it consists of 2 functions, temperature and density :)

• SRC Member

Q: What I mean was how do you hook up your PC/laptop to the controller?

A: I hook up my PC w/ Controller via the Power Unit (not direct to Control Unit). Can you see the 6 black rectangular shapes on the right? Can you one of the USB connectors there. Extremely easy :)

Q: Do you fix a line permanently so that it monitors 24-hr round the clock?

A: When I connect to my PC, the screen on the Control Unit will show "PC" icon (just like Apple iPod) and the control/monitor will be taken over by the PC. However, all information will still go through the Control Unit for storage (I believe there's a flash memory built-in). So when I do an update, the Control Unit will transfer all the info to the computer for viewing and saving. That's why connecting the Control Unit to the PC can take around 7 to 10 secs.

I do not fix it permanently as I do not "on" my notebook 24 hours. I only connect to my computer whenever I need to do programming (as it is much easier and more fun with colours), view complicated graphs and software update. I don't foresee myself connecting to the notebook everyday... rather spend the time doing something else... like SRCing :lol::lol::lol:

I hope it's clear :)

• SRC Member

Another thing to add, with the software, we can export out the data for record purposes but I'm not able to tell how many days, weeks or even month of data can be store on the controller/ probe before it's being deleted or overide!

I believe to monitor it 24-hr, u need either the sms or Ethernet module where u can access the controller from anywhere/ anytime!

There's still lots to explore and improve on in terms of usage and application which I trust it's just a matter of time! :)

• SRC Member
Another thing to add, with the software, we can export out the data for record purposes but I'm not able to tell how many days, weeks or even month of data can be store on the controller/ probe before it's being deleted or overide!

I believe to monitor it 24-hr, u need either the sms or Ethernet module where u can access the controller from anywhere/ anytime!

There's still lots to explore and improve on in terms of usage and application which I trust it's just a matter of time! :)

:D yeah I was thinking about hooking it up wirelessly so that we can even monitor the water parameters from anywhere & anyplace... :D:lol::P which I called DIGITAL REEFING !!! ;)

:D yeah I was thinking about hooking it up wirelessly so that we can even monitor the water parameters from anywhere & anyplace... :D  :lol:  :P which I called DIGITAL REEFING !!!  ;)

Bro correction hor... not just monitoring... the Aquatronica Ethernet and SMS modules allow you to CONTROL your tank parameters!!! Not just monitor... now this is going to be the next BIG thing!!!

I got a feeling their R&D should be busy researching new products right now... for me... I would like to see a Light Sensor (just like Tunze 7095)... Noise Sensor (to help us detect faulty equipments or clogged pumps)... 24hour Surveillance camera (with night vision) :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

:D yeah I was thinking about hooking it up wirelessly so that we can even monitor the water parameters from anywhere & anyplace... :D:lol::P which I called DIGITAL REEFING !!! ;)

Great! I hv the same idea too which I believe is achievable as long as the Ethernet module is connected to a wireless AP or router! :lol: But all this is still pretty dependent on your application!