filtration

is sump REALLY compulsory in marine tanks? whats the added advantage that sump filter can give over other filters?

to my limited understanding, isn't it the same as those Eheim wet dry filters? :P

kindly educate me please. thank you. and no I haven't started my marine tank yet. in the process of doing so, but if sump is really good/better/necessary, I will have to sell of my two feet tank to get a bigger one with inbuilt sump. :P

• SRC Member

Sumps are not a must but are definitely good to have one. IMO, for smaller tanks you can do away without one(i don't think you'll do a proper sump for a tank of 2ft or less right?) but for larger tanks(3ft or more) i feel that its good to be able to have a sump for the following reasons:

Advantages of sump over other filters like canister:

A sump can store unsightly equipment like protein skimmer unlike other filters(hang-on,canister).

A macroalgae refugium can be added within the sump to help cotnrol nitrates.

A sump also increases the total volume of water in the entire system(sump+maintank) by a little.

One point to note is that both a sump(assuming u have bioballs or other bio-filter media) and filter will end up as nitrate factories. Meaning they can only break waste down to nitrates but they can't break it down to Nitrogen gas. You'll need other methods like a DSB to do so. I've seen some people do away without these bioballs and have only filter wool, skimmer and macroalgae refugium in their sumps.

So from what i understand, a sump is just a second tank below the maintank where you drain water down to and from there it pumps water back up. What you have within the sump(skimmer,macroalgae refugium,bioballs etc.) is more or less up to you from what i've read so far regarding sumps.

More info on sumps:

All about sumps Part 1

All about sumps Part 2

All about sumps Part 3