Seadragons for export

sheriff

It is going to cost a bomb just to get the permits and legal document and it is not easy to keep weedy sea dragon... Better leave them to the Ocean and Mother Nature unless you talking about aquacultured ones...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

true.. legal from Australia doens't mean its gonna be approved by AVA. Even if it does, legal documents, CITIES permits are gonna add to cost.

Last I heard seadragons can cost up to thousand $$.

even if its hundreds (Probably still close to the 1000 mark), who can ensure it will be kept alive? Who have the expertise on seadragons? Its a creature thats gonna be extinct soon.. Trading for them is controlled real tight for a reason. Its probably not an easy species.. leave them to the experts.. not for us ( although I still love to have one, its just a fantasy.).

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Well if you are cash rich and your tank size is 6ft or more with 3ft depth, Water temp. can maintain at 25oC-26oC then you can consider to keep one. Food will be another issues, they eat only live food.

I do know that RB last time do bring in Sea drangon for local buyer and the boss told me is around 1K that time.

I think sheriff is referring to weedy sea dragons and not leafy sea dragons. Weedy sea dragons don't get as large as the latter species. sheriff, does the exporter have a licence from DEH (department of environmental heritage)?

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

I doubt that the dragons at UWS are kept in a 6ft tank. They are sometimes fed with thawed mysis, live freshwater shrimps and any babies that are produced by the seahorses in the same 2.5ft tank. Keeping it at 25 degrees is of no problem although sea dragons prefer 18 degrees. Chillers are not that expensive nowadays. Can get a Teco or resun for $400 new. 2nd hand are cheaper.

They can be trained to eat frozen food.... like seahorses. Just need the right current to make the food drift about as if alive. They are not very smart animals.

Sheriff is just letting whoever is interested that he can obtain weedy seadragon LEGALLY. I am sure with the high cost involved, nobody is buying them on a whim. So stop being a wet blanket.

In case u are not aware, many breeding cycles have been discovered by hobbyists rather than scientists.

the price of weedy's have gone up in the last few years

with permits and everything in, 2-3k per animal.

they prefer live food. frozen mysis will just rot in the water unless u keep them in suspension. they should be fed at least twice a day. taller tanks are better for them, they don't need huge tanks, it's more difficult to feed them in bigger tnks. too much aquascape is also bad for them cuz they might get cuts and might suffer from infection. they are very pron to micro bacterium attacks and thus fresh water dips once a month is better for their health for long term. temperature should be maintain at 16-18 degrees to reduce metabolic rate so as to reduce food intake. ;)

pls leave this animals in the wild and public aquariums