GIONOPORA CORAL

beaver

• SRC Member

hi there bro,

phytoplankton and zooplanktonic foods will benefit gonios for sure, so if youre feeding that, its a move in the right direction. i mentioned reefroids as thats a particulate food form designed for feeding gonioporas, so the particle sizes are optimum for gonio consumption. oyster eggs likewise should fall into this category, and should in fact feed most corals, but are rather expensive.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

anyone knows how much light these gonio need? My Yellow gonio seems to be browning..

Its at the bottom of my tank about 2ft depth.

2 tubes 54w T5 turned on about 8 hrs everyday. ATI white and blue pro.

I only occasionally turn on my 2x 150w MH.

Thing also is my abit whitish gonio has been maintaining its colour. Yellow one opens very big but seems to turn brown little by little.

Should I change and turn on my MH for 8 hrs instead?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

hi there bro arcanehacker,

possibly... your yellow gonio colony could be turning browner in colour as it is allowing its zooxallanthae algae cells within its tissue to rise due to a lack of light. with a greater population of zoox, it is then possible to produce more food in the form of sugars from a fixed amount of light.

perhaps you can try slowly lengthening your photoperiod to incorporate longer mh times over a week? maybe increase by an hour a day till it reaches 8hrs?

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member
hi there bro,

phytoplankton and zooplanktonic foods will benefit gonios for sure, so if youre feeding that, its a move in the right direction. i mentioned reefroids as thats a particulate food form designed for feeding gonioporas, so the particle sizes are optimum for gonio consumption. oyster eggs likewise should fall into this category, and should in fact feed most corals, but are rather expensive.

cheers,

ian

Bro, thanks for yr help. I will try looking for reefroids or oyster eggs food for my small goni specimen. :thanks:

• SRC Member
hi there bro arcanehacker,

possibly... your yellow gonio colony could be turning browner in colour as it is allowing its zooxallanthae algae cells within its tissue to rise due to a lack of light. with a greater population of zoox, it is then possible to produce more food in the form of sugars from a fixed amount of light.

perhaps you can try slowly lengthening your photoperiod to incorporate longer mh times over a week? maybe increase by an hour a day till it reaches 8hrs?

cheers,

ian

You mean increase my MH usage ah? .. :unsure:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
great looking gonio bro beaver. looks like your flow conditions are just right. do try out the reefroids and oyster eggs or what not ya.

cheers,

ian

Thanks bro! I am feeding my sunnies zooplankton and the gonio gets some of it...is that enuff? I will definitely try out DT oyster eggs soon :)

• SRC Member

harlequin still have quite a few.. but I just find the colours of pink gonio not striking.. and the polyps are just too small. placing them beside other gonio will not stand out.

• SRC Member

Sorry.. lousy camera.. or camera man.. :(

Yellow not fully extended yet.

behind is a whitish gonio. center of the polyps tend to reflect tints of blue.

post-70-1152667932.jpg

• SRC Member
lovely clean sandbed there bro!

thanks..

clean sandbed thanks to all my greedy fishes. Some more got 3 shrimps, 1 big golden sleeper head, 2 scooters and 1 mandarin to help clean my sandbed.. they eat basically any food thats on the sand. :lol:

but then again, you haven't seen the other corner :( .. My Tomini tang treats a small front corner as its shitting area <_< .. why can't it pick somewhere at the back? :cry:

• SRC Member

yeah. got that at LCK110. First time I've seen it so I got at it straight.. but I still find it quite ex.. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my collection so far... my Neon Pink Gonio died :( The Purple one is a new addition to the family... love bro Arcanehacker's Yellow Gonio... I will skip lunch for a week if I come across one... meaning I will go all out to get it! :lol:

post-70-1153482034.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Here's my collection so far... my Neon Pink Gonio died :( The Purple one is a new addition to the family... love bro Arcanehacker's Yellow Gonio... I will skip lunch for a week if I come across one... meaning I will go all out to get it! :lol:

Sori to hear about ur neon pink gonio...how did it die? and i LOVE the purple one u just bought! :bow:

Sori to hear about ur neon pink gonio...how did it die? and i LOVE the purple one u just bought! :bow:

Sweet/sad memories :cry2:

The specimen was not very healthy when I bought it... but I bought it coz the colour is amazingly beautiful... at first doing quite well, then my Hermit keep on knocking it down... finally after my Big Mama attack... never recovered ;) I hope I can come across a similar specimen again... I hope :angel:

post-70-1153495642.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member
From experience...I still believe Yellow Goni's are colour dyed!! You'd notice the colours that's passed unto your fingers whenever you slightly touch the tentacles...JMHO.

didn't know this thread is still alive since I started it! Never tried yellow ones b4 but they sure don't look natural to me

didn't know this thread is still alive since I started it! Never tried yellow ones b4 but they sure don't look natural to me

Hey there...I'm writing all the way from Canada dude!! I've actually seen the Yellow Goni's and boy they were extremely Neon Yellow and after a week or so...they looked disgustingly Brown.

My favourites are the Red and Pink Goni's which are the hardiest of the bunch.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

aquamart in jalan besar =)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10