Resun Chiller CL650

bryanong

Hi I have just bought a Resun CL650 and was wondering what is the idea kick in time and time to chill the water. Currently I have set the temperature to 27 degrees. I noticed that the chiller kicks in every 15-20 mins and the time for it to cool down to 27 degrees is less than 5 mins. I am using a valve to control the water input to the chiller. My tank is around 390 litres. Can anyone advise if this is normal (the kick in time and chill tiime) as I am afraid that it might over run the chiller. What is the CA on the chiller display means when I press and hold on the Set button? Thanks a lot.

Main Tank: 3 by 2 by 2.5 ft

Sump: 30 by 16 by 16 inch

Return: Sicce 5000

Wavemaker: Vortech Mp40wES

Lighting: 2 X Maxspect Mazzara, 1 ATI True Actinic, 1 ATI BluePlus

Skimmer: Deltec APF 600

CR: Deltec PF 501

Filtration: Carbon FR, Phosphate FR

Chiller: Hailea 300A

Hi I have just bought a Resun CL650 and was wondering what is the idea kick in time and time to chill the water. Currently I have set the temperature to 27 degrees. I noticed that the chiller kicks in every 15-20 mins and the time for it to cool down to 27 degrees is less than 5 mins. I am using a valve to control the water input to the chiller. My tank is around 390 litres. Can anyone advise if this is normal (the kick in time and chill tiime) as I am afraid that it might over run the chiller. What is the CA on the chiller display means when I press and hold on the Set button? Thanks a lot.

the pump that flow through the chiller must meet the require flowrate or else ur chiller will kick in and out very very fast.

as for my CL280... it run for about 15-20 min and rest for 30-40 min

CA mean caliberate. if ur thermostat show different reading from ur thermometer in ur main tank... u can caliberate ya :)

HTH

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Kick in so often (for only 5 minutes) is not normal... mine kick in every 90 to 120 mins (day), 120 mins to 180 mins (night)... normally run for 45 to 60 minutes. According to some reefers, the more it kicks-in and out, the more electricity it will consume and more frequent your chiller requires servicing.

I got a feeling you are using a oversize chiller for your tank setup. That's why your chiller manage to bring down 1ºC - 1.5ºC within 5 minutes... do check properly as you shouldn't underestimate the energy a chiller consumes.

Hope this helps :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

The pump that I'm using is Rio 14. Is the flow rate alrite? The reason that I'm using such a high flow rate pump is the distance from my sump to my chiller is slightly more than 3 meters and the chiller is placed on top of my fridge. So how do I know that the flow rate is within the recomended rate?

• Moderators

Another thing you may want to check is the flow of your water.

Does the water flow to chiller and back to sump(1st method) or to tank directly(2nd method)?

Assuming if you are using the 1st method. You will need to have a faster return pump and the returned chilled water need to place as near to the return pump as possible in order to have maximum chilled water in your main tank and not the sump water.

Hope my explanation is not too confusing. hehe..

Tom

The pump that I'm using is Rio 14. Is the flow rate alrite? The reason that I'm using such a high flow rate pump is the distance from my sump to my chiller is slightly more than 3 meters and the chiller is placed on top of my fridge. So how do I know that the flow rate is within the recomended rate?

Rio 14 sld be enuff. . . i mean for ur Resun chiller. But it cant be kicking in so often.

Usually the flow rate is they keypoint.

Unless ur tank is bigger than 4 footer. . . then maybe tt's the reason.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

1 Try not to use the valve to control the water flow into the chiller.

2 Try to pipe your chiller returns directly back to you main tank.

( return flow rate may not be sufficient if your tank volume is big )

I pipe my 1262 to my chiller then to my tank as return, no problem with chilling and kicking in.

• SRC Member

I got big headache with my chiller too initially. But once u got the flow rate rite for your chiller, the rest/ kick time will be pretty consistent.

Another thing to add which I'm not sure if it apply to all resun chiller is the temp probe inside the chiller. There's a diff in the temp in the chiller as compare to either the sump or main tank. Therefore, to get a more accurate temp, it's better to control the chiller using an external probe!

Happy reefing!!! :)

Hi Thomas,

I'm using the first method ie flow to chiller and chiller to sump (2nd compartment not return pump compartment). The return pump rate is 5000 l/hr. think should be enough.

Hi lyz77,

What is the external probe? How does it work? Can you advise me further?

Thanks.

Hi lyz77,

How long does your chiller kicks in and for how long does it takes to chill? I have turn the valve to maximum flow and have placed the chiller output to the return compartment. Currently it takes around 15 to chill down and kicks in around 45 mins. Is it normal or should I increase or decrease the flow rate? Can anyone advise?

• 17 years later...
On 6/29/2006 at 8:08 PM, bryanong said:

Hi lyz77,

How long does your chiller kicks in and for how long does it takes to chill? I have turn the valve to maximum flow and have placed the chiller output to the return compartment. Currently it takes around 15 to chill down and kicks in around 45 mins. Is it normal or should I increase or decrease the flow rate? Can anyone advise?

Hi, 

Anybody know where can buy external probe for Resun chiller ?