Very small skimmer / wavemaker

Drake

• SRC Member

even the smallest wavemaker can never hide from view.. wavemakers are always big. With a 12gal its not necessary. Just make sure the return/canister filter has a good flow.

Nano skimmers got few. state your budget and there will be recomendations.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

I just found the Hydor Bioflo, will be checking out its size, main reason is I am hoping for a more random flow pattern to disperse the detrius on the sandbed. Else some spots are always clean while others always collect debris.

As for the skimmer, I would prefer a cheaper option, not going to rely on it fully to keep the water clean, but just hoping that it can cut down on my water change frequency.

• SRC Member
I just found the Hydor Bioflo, will be checking out its size, main reason is I am hoping for a more random flow pattern to disperse the detrius on the sandbed. Else some spots are always clean while others always collect debris.

As for the skimmer, I would prefer a cheaper option, not going to rely on it fully to keep the water clean, but just hoping that it can cut down on my water change frequency.

hi there bro drake,

I find the hydor flo or bio flo works brilliantly, though be careful not to push more than the specified 1200l/hr through the hydor as it will fail over time. the design counts on this white coloured portion to hold the gear structure in place, so with too much flow, this white coloured thing gets loose over time. id say the maxijet 1200s would be perfect pumps to match. superb randomized flow.

may i ask where you saw the hydors? im looking to replace mine.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

Thanks guys, got the Hydor Bioflo today (last piece, sry) fr Keong Seong Fish Shop, Blk 22 Havelock Rd, Tel: 62729384

Maybe you can call them to bring in new stock, price is $3X.

Now, only the micro skimmer left to go... :)

• SRC Member
Thanks guys, got the Hydor Bioflo today (last piece, sry) fr Keong Seong Fish Shop, Blk 22 Havelock Rd, Tel: 62729384

Maybe you can call them to bring in new stock, price is $3X.

Now, only the micro skimmer left to go... :)

Wah, I thought it's onli US$12 - US$15 from those US online order? Realli expensive here.

• SRC Member

hi there bro drake.

i have to call them to order in more hydors because theyve sold out?

oh no.. sigh.. if anyone sees them for sale, pls drop me a pm ya. thanks,

bro chrisyew, the maxijets are really small. bout half the size of a seio 820 so i hope itll fit your 12g cube ya.

cheers.

ian

• SRC Member
hi there bro drake.

i have to call them to order in more hydors because theyve sold out?

oh no.. sigh.. if anyone sees them for sale, pls drop me a pm ya. thanks,

bro chrisyew, the maxijets are really small. bout half the size of a seio 820 so i hope itll fit your 12g cube ya.

cheers.

ian

Thanks Ian.

From what I know the Maxijet 1200 may fit those 12G deluxe version as there are onli 3 chambers but the 12GO (old version) has 4 chambers and may not fit in. Even the Maxijet 900 may have a problem too. So those using the 12GO, pls check first.

As for the hydor flo, ever thought of ordering online.

• SRC Member

I am using the JBJ 12G Deluxe, currently 2 power heads, JBJ powerhead (forgot model) to pump to chiller and back, stock pump to power the Hydor Flo...

Anything even smaller than the nanomora? Would be best is can fit in the last sump compartment (wishful thinking?)

As for ordering the Hydor online, I though about it, but after factoring in the shipping and leadtime, it seems too much trouble.

By the way, it turning nicely, even on my 106G/hr stock pump... Think my fishes and yumas are appreciating it more than the orginal outflow...

• SRC Member
Or if even the smallest skimmer is too big, are there any alternatives? Surface skimmer? Don't have to be as good as a full fledge skimmer, but something which can partially skim... maybe?

A surface skimmer is different purpose from a protein skimmer. Maybe those limestone skimmer can fit in. Fission skimmer can fit in but very difficult to fit and remove and heard lots of remarks in the other nanoforum too. If you are using those needle wheel pump for skimmer, then the micro bubbles may have an issue as the tank is onli 12G.

• 4 months later...