JBJ ARCTICA TITANIUM CHILLER 1/5Hp

jervismun

Haha... as expected... another long-winded product review by me :lol::lol::lol:

Now... you guys might say... a chiller is a chiller lor... it's not even new in the market... see what this Jervismun guy can write about it :P

Well... plenty really... I started this review based on a few requests and I hope this will give new reefers more understanding of what a chiller is all about... and hopefully can help them make the right choice... as you all know... any wrong decision can cost us and our wallet dearly :pinch:

Ok let the ball rolling... the box!!! Suprisingly, it is not too bulky, I collected from the LFS yesterday (coz I can't wait, they do offer to deliver btw)... put it into my back seat... carry it back to my place without much problem... (note: I am not physically well built btw). The box should be able to fit into any saloon car boot.

post-14-1152333880.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Guys... before you rush out now and get yourself an Arctica (hahaha) please please plan properly... as you all know... chiller is one of the hardest equipments to sell in the Pasar Malam and the depreciation can be extremely high... so think before you act, ok?

(fyi: I sold my Teco RA240 4 months old with a 70% depreciation!!!)

If you are seriously looking at Arctica, go to their website:

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_chiller_size.asp

Here's the calculation provided by Arctica.

List of heat generating powerheads/pumps in my tank:

Return: Aquabee UP 1000 - 10W

Chiller: Aquabee UP 3000 - 45W

Skimmer: AquaMedic PH 2500 - 37W

Wavemaker: Stream 6060 - 11W / Stream 6000 - 15W

Others: Aquabee UP 500 - 5W / AquaMedic Dosing Pump SP3000 (external) - 4.5W

Based on the calculation, my tank scores 0.11, just 0.01 exceeding the use of 1/10hp. The larger model 1/4hp is for 0.20.

Since my score is 0.11, I went with the 1/5hp model.

Now... there's always this saying of "better to get a larger chiller for future upgrading"... well... that is if money is not in the picture lah... for Arctica, the next larger model is $400 more... so it can be very significant as a startup cost.

However, if you are willing to pay $400 more... please do go ahead as there are benefits of running a larger capacity chiller. For me, this is only applicable to energy-efficient chiller like Arctica.

For example: This 1/4Hp only consumes 150W!!! A competitor product can easily double that. Now, if you are to buy some huge China chiller... that can easily consume 700W of electricity!!! So be cautious of that... it's very hard to sell a high consumption chiller in the Pasar Malam section later.

post-14-1152334548.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

NOTE: This chiller is made in KOREA :P (not China)

As expected... Warranty Card and all... comes with a 2-year warranty (very good especially for my future buyer :lol: ) Oh dear... must fill up and return within 14 days... must remember!!!

Caution: Any modification to the chiller will void the warranty.

post-14-1152334901.jpg

Here's what you'll see once you open the box!!! Ok lah... pretty standard... nothing fancy... not like opening a new Apple computer box :lol::lol::lol: Always give me shivers of excitement... sorry :off:

Local/UK socket lah... sorry guys... no German plug hor :lol:

post-14-1152335696.jpg

Lovely... they provided 3 pairs of hose fittings with 3 different diameters... appreciate the flexibility :lol:

Since I'm using back my old rubber hose, I chose the middle size pair :)

post-14-1152335820.jpg

No need to show step-by-step how I connect the hose lah... (hands too wet to touch the camera)... here's how I connected the chiller... I'm sure a lot of bros out there (with much better DIY instinct) can do better than this :lol:

I still need another metal hose clip though <_<

post-14-1152336160.jpg

Ok... gotto go out for the weekend now... enjoy life besides reefing right? :D

Will continue tonight... any comments and queries are most welcomed :)

• SRC Member

Award winning designer always buy good and expensive stuff... :lol:

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Award winning designer always buy good and expensive stuff... :lol:

Bro... thanks for the comment :cry: No lah... this is not a luxury item... it's a reliable and proven product in the marketplace :)

Oh I want to show you guys this... the chiller comes with 2 handles on the side... more like depressed area with springed cover... so when not in use, the cover will create a flush look for the body... avoiding dust collection :)

Now... wonder how long that spring thingy can last ;)

I like the CAUTION sticker on top of the chiller... forced me to read it coz I tend to skip the manual sometimes :lol:

post-14-1152364628.jpg

Another part that I like about this chiller... 6 rubber mounting grommet that provides plenty of floor grip and reduces noise caused by vibration :lol:

post-14-1152364820.jpg

Ok... the temperature control panel... ok lah... quite standard in my opinion... I kinda dislike the ARCTICA font though... so "computer font"... the display shows 0.1 decimal whereas my old Teco only shows 28ºC instead of 27.9ºC :nc:

post-14-1152365029.jpg

Is the built-in thermostat accurate? Well... what you guys think? :lol:

post-14-1152365106.jpg

• SRC Member

yes Jervis... i got a brand new 1/4 hp last week n u hv to calibrate the chiller temp ... other than that no prob... ;)

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

yes Jervis... i got a brand new 1/4 hp last week n u hv to calibrate the chiller temp ... other than that no prob... ;)

I am using my Aquatronica to control the chiller... so the display is secondary to me :) Coz I learned that measuring the temperature of the main tank is better than relying on the built-in thermostat :nc:

Wah... how you like your 1/4hp??? Share with us your views... again, let's make this a mass Arctica product review :lol: I can also learn from you :bow:

IMPORTANT!!!

The chiller will basically warm up for 1 minute before kicking-in... there will be an indication of the "COOL" yellow LED blinking... so guys whenever you view an Arctica in action... do not take this as an indication of how quiet it is... coz within this 1 minute... the chiller has not kick-in yet.

Once it kicked-in... trust me... you'll know... a chiller is still a chiller :lol:

IMPORTANT!!!

The chiller will basically warm up for 1 minute before kicking-in... there will be an indication of the "COOL" yellow LED blinking... so guys whenever you view an Arctica in action... do not take this as an indication of how quiet it is... coz within this 1 minute... the chiller has not kick-in yet.

Once it kicked-in... trust me... you'll know... a chiller is still a chiller :lol:

ur RA240 is noiser ? :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

The chiller temperature will always be cooler than the actual tank temperature. Thus it is always advisable to have a external probe to control the chiller. This issue has been quite extensively discussed. Especially for Resun Chiller.

Alternately the pump has be high flow and presuurized for super good distribution...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

ur RA240 is noiser ? :)

Of course lah!!! Arctica is legendary when it comes to quietness... but still can hear lah!

The chiller temperature will always be cooler than the actual tank temperature. Thus it is always advisable to have a external probe to control the chiller. This issue has been quite extensively discussed. Especially for Resun Chiller.

Yupe... that's what I'm doing... but in order to do that... one needs a temperature controller or some sorta computer system :nc:

Of course lah!!! Arctica is legendary when it comes to quietness... but still can hear lah!

Compare to other brand chiller..it's consider very quiet liao... :P !

Welcome to ACC, Arctica Chiller Club..man..hehehe :lol: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Welcome to ACC, Arctica Chiller Club..man..hehehe :lol: !

Hehe... thanks... now don't ask me what's taking me so long :lol::lol::lol:

The report is out :lol:

1) My chiller kicked-in 8 times for the past 24 hours

2) Lights off: 2 to 2 1/2 hours resting time / Lights on: 1 to 1 1/2 hours resting time

3) Running time: Average 1 hour to bring down to 26ºC from 27.5ºC

Bros and Sis... I have the following questions:

a) Is my chiller kicking-in too many times each day?

B) Do you think setting the minimum temperature to 26.5ºC (intead of 26ºC) will improve the situation

c) Alternatively... set the difference to 2ºC (instead of 1.5ºC)... so between 26ºC and 28ºC. Is 2ºC fluctuation within 1 hour too great? Is 28ºC considered too warm?

:thanks: in advance :thanks:

post-14-1152378454.jpg