need help in freshwater fish

skywong

Hi

i know i should not have post questions regarding freshwater fish but i could not start a new thread in arofanatics site.hope someone can help here. i had just bought 2 parrot fish 2 days ago. those 2 fish just keep hiding 1 corner of the tank althought i tried to feed them with food. i heard that parrot need a PH standard to maintain.my tank has only water and filters with no sand at all. is it true that coral ships can butter ph value.hope someone here can give me some pointers.tks alot

• SRC Member

As far as i'm concerned, parrot fishes are cichids and they need hard water.

hard water = High pH water.

Adding coral chips will help to increase pH. please do not feed them when they are stressed, they will not eat.It will only worsen the water conditions.

If you need more advice, i may be able to help with some of your doubts

• SRC Member
As far as i'm concerned, parrot fishes are cichids and they need hard water.

hard water = High pH water.

Adding coral chips will help to increase pH. please do not feed them when they are stressed, they will not eat.It will only worsen the water conditions.

If you need more advice, i may be able to help with some of your doubts

bro.. not all cichlid need hard water.... discus and parrot need soft water....

at ard ph 6.5 and KH of ard 2....

• SRC Member

I know of people just use tap water and the bunch of red parrot fishes are still ok. No coral chips, not ph stuff. Just plain ol tapwater.

I do find parrot fish abit timid.. they tend to swim to the back when people are around.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

tks everyone.....it has been a week and i m keepin 2 parrot fish. the fishes keep hiding in the rocks. are they so shy fishes? only when i am quite a distant away from them, then they swim out. and also if my lights are close.they don swim out at all.is it normal?

could be due to what they were fed at the LFS, colour enhancers.

Haifeng feed use to be quite popular back then while i was keeping FW,

due to the colour enhancer & bla bla bla

add some blackwater extract to the water if need be ,

these are very hardy fish but can take awhile to adapt to the new surroundings.

drop some food in , n visit yr fish more often they will recognize ppl like discus