(Q) Red Sea Prizm + Normal Surface Skimmer

brittlestars

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I'm wondering whether the standard surface skimmer (those cheap black $10 types) would work with Red Sea Prizm skimmer. I'm thinking of doing this by connecting the surface skimmer to the inlet of Prizm.

Reason? Save $ and also I find the standard surface skimmer slightly more superior because it 'floats' actually to water level while the Red Sea surface skimmer does not as it is 'fixed' on inlet pipe (please correct me if I'm wrong).

But some issues that I can't answer are:

- Would flowrate be affected by this mod?

- Would skimming be affected by this mod?

Any fellow reefers who have tried this care to share experience?

Thanks a bunch! :D

There's this small tank at ah beng's place which is running on a prizm too. However, he was using the normal type of surface skimmer that you earlier mentioned. It can be done, but cos it will be not a correct fit, thus you got to improvise a little.

• SRC Member
There's this small tank at ah beng's place which is running on a prizm too. However, he was using the normal type of surface skimmer that you earlier mentioned. It can be done, but cos it will be not a correct fit, thus you got to improvise a little.

Thanks pangz!