gobies and deeper tanks

• SRC Member

hi guys ... from exprience i learnt tt certain species of gobies tt are jumpers ... often committing suicide by jumping out of the tanks... the species tt i know of are the diamond watchman and a fully white goby ( i dunno the species name)... they are highly efficient cleaners but just suicidal.

my question is tt would the tank depth be a factor ? my current tank is 1.5ft deep. my new tank is 2.5ft deep. would it be safer now to keep these species ? reefers who have exp in this area pls advise .. im not yet able to decide on what species to pick.

1. the jumpers

2.golden head sleeper goby ( dive bomber i know... but im going FOWLR so its ok..)

3.two spot gobies( imo not as good as the first 2 but not known for jumping )

4.any other suggestions ?

btw my new tank is 5(L)x2(W)x2.5(H)

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Ans: Depth doesn't matter at all.

Why you may ask? Reason for any fish to jump tank/ commit suicide/ decides the the grass in greener outside etc is due to stress/ chase/ shock.

Fishes that jump my tank - Flame angel, garden eel, twinspot hogfish, solaris wrasse, dashed line blenny.

A good friend of my have the same 1.5' depth setup with SPS and gobies but none jump to their depth. But his tank consist of 90% gobbies and blennies with the exception of 2 dwarf angels.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

Main cause of fishes jumping tanks is stress, either from bad water conditions, or primarily aggression from other tank inhabitants.

While increased depth might lessen the chances, it will not solve the problem.

So either put a cover over the tank, which will address the symptoms.

Or simply, remove the aggressors, which will address one of the causes.