jun's 2x1x1.5 FOWLR

jun

comments? any ways i can improve the looks?

now only hav one common clown, blue damsel, Stripe damsel

and 2 tube worms...will stock up slowly... :)

im quite happy wif the simple rock scaping..think only 4kg +....do u think i shd add in more live rock or keep the space for fishes to swim??

post-34-1155054638.jpg

What's that on the left? Is it a DIY skimmer?

Yes, you should add a bit more live rock as they will benefit your simple setup in the long run as being good natural filtration system.

No, you can't just go to a LFS and buy the LR off their holding tanks... you must go for matured/cured live rocks... buy from a fellow reefer (must be inside healthy water + circulation)... perhaps adding a larger piece with caves and holes as the base. Stacking small pieces of rocks together to form a mountain is not a good scaping method for numerous reasons.

Have fun... this is just the beginning to a long and joyful journey :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

hihi Jun... do u epoxy yr rocks together or just stack?

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Yes, you should add a bit more live rock as they will benefit your simple setup in the long run as being good natural filtration system.

No, you can't just go to a LFS and buy the LR off their holding tanks... you must go for matured/cured live rocks... buy from a fellow reefer (must be inside healthy water + circulation)... perhaps adding a larger piece with caves and holes as the base. Stacking small pieces of rocks together to form a mountain is not a good scaping method for numerous reasons.

on the left is a DIY skimmer for my diy over flow pipe....

use a mineral water bottle...quite nice as it is blue in colour...

add more rocks to my main tank to get a better natural filtration system as u mentioned... can i top up live rock in the sump instead of in the main tank? ...coz i wan to hav more space for fishes to swim le....

on the left is a DIY skimmer for my diy over flow pipe....

use a mineral water bottle...quite nice as it is blue in colour...

add more rocks to my main tank to get a better natural filtration system as u mentioned... can i top up live rock in the sump instead of in the main tank? ...coz i wan to hav more space for fishes to swim le....

Yes that will do nicely... you may want to add (matured and cured only) larger pieces of rock into your main tank... then move those small pieces to the sump. Remember, you need caves for fishes to hide and sleep in at night.

Can you show us a closer shot of your interesting creation? And you sump tank please... and is there a way you can enlarge you photos? A 600 x 480 pixels will suffice :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

wat are the little dot like things on the top ? hole ?

I'm very curious too...

But bro Jun, if you already have a protein skimmer in the sump... is this DIY skimmer really necessary? Don't you think it takes up too much tank space?

it is not a protien skimmer.... it is a surface skimmer.... for over flow pipe i mentioned....to prevent water from suckin dry....

Oh... sorry coz I see a lot of microbubbles... so thought it is a protein skimmer... :unsure:

• SRC Member

get a piece or 2 of larger LR. den scape using that. using smaller rocks are not really that good cos they are

1. damn hard to scape.

2. loose, and moves easily.

3. looks more fake. as they are mostly rounded. looks like the effect after an earthquake. i got that effect in my tank now..

why stacking small pieces of rocks together to form a mountain is not a good scaping method for numerous reasons.???

can tell mi......thanks

hmm... is tat the onli reason? but i onli FOWLR..not plannin any corals...

Densely packed rocks will limit current flow through them... without proper flow, dirts/detritus will be trapped inside creating lots of problem... the best is for current to be able to reach every corners of the tank to bring the wastes direct to the filter and protein skimmer. Current flow can also increase bacteria activities as more water will pass through your LR surfaces.

You also need some caves for fishes to hide and sleep in at night.

The disadvantages of having densely packed rockscaping can go on and on...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...