Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

• SRC Member

Oh tell me all about it... :lol: That's one of the reason I'm moving the tank to the office ;)

urmz. really, i think you should just decomm the tank at home. it will still be a source of problems. better to get rid of it.

its not about the presence of the tank, but about how much time you spent on the tanks. having one at work will already cut short the amount of time at home, now with another one at home, wil juz make things worse.

not meant to be probing into your personal life. but looking at wat it had done to me, i really dont wan anything of a similar fate to happen to you... thank goodness i am yet to be married.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

urmz. really, i think you should just decomm the tank at home. it will still be a source of problems. better to get rid of it.

its not about the presence of the tank, but about how much time you spent on the tanks. having one at work will already cut short the amount of time at home, now with another one at home, wil juz make things worse.

not meant to be probing into your personal life. but looking at wat it had done to me, i really dont wan anything of a similar fate to happen to you... thank goodness i am yet to be married.

Bro Colinsoon, you might be young... but you do know how the "world goes round"... :lol: Yes, I will have to do something about the home tank... obviously. Downgrading it into a FOWLR is the first step, using less electricity the second, getting rid of that damn chiller is the third...

If I want to keep the tank, I must learn how to spend less time with it... I've discussed with my CFO about it (of course)... will be able to make a clearer decision once the office tank is up and running :)

I can't find a buyer for my AquaMedic Percula 90 tank :erm: If I can sell it, I will seriously consider "decom" it :) ... and settle for a small Sea Horse tank :evil::evil::evil:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

.. i agree with colin .. but hey .. its your life ... and im sure your capable enough to handle it well ! :lol:

Yeah... I've handled it (the crisis is over... I guess)... phew... almost cost me my home and my car :shock: Hahaha... so drama right? :rolleyes:

As for the office tank... we've added another designer to the studio... hehe... no need to explain why lah :fear::ph34r::fear:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Bro Colinsoon, you might be young... but you do know how the "world goes round"... :lol: Yes, I will have to do something about the home tank... obviously. Downgrading it into a FOWLR is the first step, using less electricity the second, getting rid of that damn chiller is the third...

If I want to keep the tank, I must learn how to spend less time with it... I've discussed with my CFO about it (of course)... will be able to make a clearer decision once the office tank is up and running :)

I can't find a buyer for my AquaMedic Percula 90 tank :erm: If I can sell it, I will seriously consider "decom" it :) ... and settle for a small Sea Horse tank :evil::evil::evil:

keep posting up at the pasar malam! sooner or later there will be people expressing interest in it.. then you can let it go!

to take turns changing water for your tank??

haha.. actually can get each of them to like contribute a coral every week. then your tank will be stocked up in no time. haha.!

You are going to be a very wicked boss :evil: I can see that in you :lol:

It's more like... I spend all these $$$ to "open their eyes"... well actually I think it will definitely add life to the office and educate my colleagues along the way... I'm sure 1 or 2 of them will end up having a marine tank at home :lol: I'm a very good superior hor :P

• SRC Member

ahhaha i am going to be a very sweet boss la!

i am such a nice guy you know.. but then, for all the efforts you put in to set up this tank for the visual entertainment of others, i think its only fitting for the rest to contribute.. haha!

lets not dilute this thread anymore.. FOTOS!!!!

Hey Jervis,

So who's going to take care of the tank during the weekend? Or you will organise weekly gathering at your office. Then those who visit can help to clean or change water... :evil::evil::evil:

Haha... weekly gathering is a great way for us to meet up and learn from each other... I will still drop by my office during the weekend (on our way to the gym @ Orchard, CFO waiting in the car... that kinda quickie)... will rely on auto-feeder for weekend feeding and will do water change during weekdays... probably stay late once a week or so for major maintenance :) Not impossible lah :heh:

• SRC Member

jervis ... i work for u ah .... can give me yearly bonus of LS ? i tot of it ready ...

1st yr - black tang

2nd yr - gem tang

3rd yr - full SB of rics ...

etc

and for 10 yr long service award ... fully sponsered 10ft upgrade ??

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

haha .. ok ok enuff joking ... ya .. pics pics ...

lets not dilute this thread anymore.. FOTOS!!!!

No more FOTOS... unless you wanna see this :lol: Actually it looks better than those posted by the Germans... probably ATI is upgrading the ThreadWheel construction too... no more cable ties :nc:

post-34-1156746466.jpg

jervis ... i work for u ah .... can give me yearly bonus of LS ? i tot of it ready ...

1st yr - black tang

2nd yr - gem tang

3rd yr - full SB of rics ...

etc

and for 10 yr long service award ... fully sponsered 10ft upgrade ??

Bro... I already received several job applications by reefers lah :lol: No yearly bonus some more... :P:P:P You are a bit high on maintenance lah :heh:

Introducing my sand bed... been reading lots of advantages of an aragonite bed and since I can find this interesting product locally... decided to give it a try :heh:

Will use 3 packs (15lbs per pack) of Hawaiian Puka Shell and 1 pack of Australian Gold Sand... I think 60lbs of aragonite should be able to cover at least 1.5" :)

Those interested can drop by AquaMarin, please don't PM me for LFS name and price :bow:

post-34-1156756442.jpg

Ohh... look at those texture... those beautiful shells :) Dunno if it is considered "unfriendly" to the environment (somehow came across my mind just now)... will keep it to a bare minimal then... if 3 packets is all takes... will return 1 pack to Hawaii :D

Can read more Here!!!

Nature's Ocean Hawaiian Puka Shell #10

Premium Aragonite Reef Substrate:

Ideal for reef system tank bottoms, denitrifying anaerobic beds, extremely high surface area filter media.

Aragonite Benefits:

Reduces Nitrates. Maintain pH. Increases Carbonate Hardness. Provide Marine Trace Elements. Pre-washed Minimum Rinse Required. 100% From The Ocean Floor. Heat Sterilized. Ideal for culturing Live sand.

Grain size: 3.5-5mm

post-34-1156756648.jpg

Nature's Ocean Australian Gold Sand #5

Premium Aragonite Reef Substrate:

Ideal for reef system tank bottoms, denitrifying anaerobic beds, extremely high surface area filter media.

Aragonite Benefits:

Reduces Nitrates. Maintain pH. Increases Carbonate Hardness. Provide Marine Trace Elements. Pre-washed Minimum Rinse Required. 100% From The Ocean Floor. Heat Sterilized. Ideal for culturing Live sand.

Grain size: 2.5-5mm

Note: Looks very appetizing... like cereal :lol::lol::lol: Definitely requires more than "minimum rinse" as recommended :erm:

post-34-1156756769.jpg

• SRC Member

hey, it juz came across my mind.. you are gonna have a "shell bed" rite? when the LR are placed on top of them wont there be alot of pressure points on the base glass ? since the shells are small.. corners and edges will have a smaller surface area in contect with the base glass and there will be multiples. wont the pressure on these points be extremely high ? :huh:

hey, it juz came across my mind.. you are gonna have a "shell bed" rite? when the LR are placed on top of them wont there be alot of pressure points on the base glass ? since the shells are small.. corners and edges will have a smaller surface area in contect with the base glass and there will be multiples. wont the pressure on these points be extremely high ? :huh:

The LR will be laid on bare tank (possibly on pieces of egg crates, will check with Steve). Once the scaping is done, I will then fill up the tank with a thin layer of aragonite. That's the proper way of scaping especially when dealing with extra large pieces of rocks and those with very little contact point to the base.

Jurv,Why did you chose the bigger size? why not the size 0 or 1?

AM actually delivered the wrong type for me, I ordered the Hawaiian Puka Shell #5... since I've already open 1 pack, will exchange the remaining 2 packets.

As for the size, I find normal sand bed (esp. grade 0 and 1) too fine and easily blown/affected by my Tunzes. As I might be going into SPS at a later stage, I expect to have some serious water current in there. Furthermore, I will be introducing a flushing system to flush out debris and trapped wastes from behind the scaping regularly... don't want all these to affect the sand bed... craters on the sand bed is not a pretty sight IMO and I don't want the sand bed to restrict my passion for Tunzes :lol:

I will have to give up some fishes though... Leopard Wrasse being one of them as they require fine sand bed to buried themselves into at night :(

Here's where you can bring 6 cans of Coke to... :lol:

Courtesy of Google Earth (you guys must try it!) :yeah:

post-34-1156773112.jpg

• SRC Member

AM actually delivered the wrong type for me, I ordered the Hawaiian Puka Shell #5... since I've already open 1 pack, will exchange the remaining 2 packets.

As for the size, I find normal sand bed (esp. grade 0 and 1) too fine and easily blown/affected by my Tunzes. As I might be going into SPS at a later stage, I expect to have some serious water current in there. Furthermore, I will be introducing a flushing system to flush out debris and trapped wastes from behind the scaping regularly... don't want all these to affect the sand bed... craters on the sand bed is not a pretty sight IMO and I don't want the sand bed to restrict my passion for Tunzes :lol:

I will have to give up some fishes though... Leopard Wrasse being one of them as they require fine sand bed to buried themselves into at night :(

Clever boy, you are right, smaller grade will cause problem with tunze.

How is the flashing system works? I think its a great idea! Please share.

My Reefing Mission:-

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.

Clever boy, you are right, smaller grade will cause problem with tunze.

How is the flashing system works? I think its a great idea! Please share.

Hehe... it is not a new idea... just that I made it into a main highlight of my tank... will let Steve decide on the design since he will also take care of the scaping... so the FLUSH system will be designed according to the LR acquired and the final scaping design... arriving tomorrow btw... I heard extremely large pieces :o

My only input on this is... where I want to place my lovely Tunzes :wub: