Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

Are you going to even have any time inbetween for work? :P

I've always been a very efficient worker... been trying to mimic the German way of working for years now :lol: Anyway I don't work... I give instructions... so that allows me some free time as I can't be giving instructions 100% of my working time :lol: ... or else all my colleagues will go crazy :rolleyes:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

next time i also wanna add a tank to my office...

oh... i've already added a 4ft planted in my office... :lol::lol::lol: .... but due to the nature of my work... very limited time to maintain it....

Hehe... water brings good fortune... you know what will be a crazy idea?

1) Fishes must be red and rounded... and in even numbers... add 8 Red Tomato Clowns :lol: Flame Angel not good... although it's red coz the name evokes "Fire" :lol:

2) Fishes must be extremely healthy to represent DYNAMISM, must grow fast to project GROWTH, must school to represent a UNITED company... 28 Green Chromis :D

How about that? Master Jervis... the Aqua Feng-shui Master :lol::lol::lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Jervis, its quite wasted for you to switch from the 1/5hp arctica to the 1/4 hp arctica.

If u are using all T5, the 1/5 sld be able to cope though.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Jervis, its quite wasted for you to switch from the 1/5hp arctica to the 1/4 hp arctica.

If u are using all T5, the 1/5 sld be able to cope though.

Well... I still have Phase II in the design stage and it will add more load to the 1/4hp. I may also add MH to the lighting mix... once I am ready for SPS (maybe) :P

Yeah the price is really shiok!!! :o

This new arrangement will enable me to slowly transfer the corals over to the new tank instead of a 1-day logistic nightmare :erm: The buyer for my old chiller agreed the handover date to be end September. So that will allow me ample time to run the new tank with the new chiller for 2 to 3 weeks. I think this is the best way to ensure my coral's health as I am really concern if they will perish due to mishandling :pinch:

Why not consider those air-con compressor type chillers with drop-in coil in sump? More HP, more efficient (i think) and no worries on where to place chiller. Price is lower than an Artica 1/4 HP. :peace:

Why not consider those air-con compressor type chillers with drop-in coil in sump? More HP, more efficient (i think) and no worries on where to place chiller. Price is lower than an Artica 1/4 HP. :peace:

You mean something that looks like Arctica commercial unit with the air-con compressor installed outside the building? Already checked the rental agreement, the building doesn't allow installation of compressors as the air-cons come with the office unit.

As for the placement of my new chiller... no worries, I've already figure that part out :)

great man! looking forward to more pics.

Ok... here's a pix showing my secret weapon :lol::lol::lol: Bought it from the Staff Shop at 3M Woodlands Centre yesterday... attended their Designers' Club Lab Walk yesterday... in return get to shop at their Staff Shop... 30% to 40% cheaper than retail outlets :lol::lol::lol: Bought all sorts of stuff lor... Scotch Pad lah... Post-it Pads lah... Toilet Bowl Cleaner lah... like an aunty ;)

Got sms from AM, my LR arrived... extremely beautiful large pieces (they specially ordered for me)... now curing in their tanks... will drop by later to take some photos :P Expect the curing to take 2 weeks <_<

post-34-1157004242.jpg

Hi,

Just a note, i used to have a set up similar on the attic floor of a shophouse, its gonna be a major pain when you change water, i hope you took note of that.

Also the spillage and evaporation rate is very high on the attic level, somehow the temp is higher then the 1st level.

Please reconsider before adding your water and rocks

Justin

• SRC Member

hey bro i think hot air rises.. and since artic in the highest floor, temperatures might increase. the roof that may absorb heat and will also radiate the heat into the room. this may lead to the high temperature thus leading to high evaporation rate.. but i assume bro jervismun is working in an air condition room.. and he is also using a chiller so i doubt evaporation will be a problem. do correct me if i am wrong :D

however yes i think he will have problem with water change unless he have some water source nearby.. :huh:

Hi,

Just a note, i used to have a set up similar on the attic floor of a shophouse, its gonna be a major pain when you change water, i hope you took note of that.

Also the spillage and evaporation rate is very high on the attic level, somehow the temp is higher then the 1st level.

Please reconsider before adding your water and rocks

Justin

Hi bros djarth and BigBen

Yes, I have full access to water in the attic (actually it's not really an attic, it is based on a split-level loft concept). I have a fully functional pantry 5 feet away from the tank.

Changing water will not be too much of a hassle (I hope ;) ) Well... I try to do lesser water change anyway... once the tank is stabilized... that's why I focus on getting the setup right at the very beginning... from the sand bed to the refugium, LS to LR, protein skimmer to Aquatronica... all is being planned to prepare the tank to be as self-sustainable as possible. Of course water change is still the cheapest way to maintain a reef tank... but not the easiest way :)

Don't see evaporation and heat as a problem at all :)

• SRC Member

Hi bros djarth and BigBen

Yes, I have full access to water in the attic (actually it's not really an attic, it is based on a split-level loft concept). I have a fully functional pantry 5 feet away from the tank.

Changing water will not be too much of a hassle (I hope ;) ) Well... I try to do lesser water change anyway... once the tank is stabilized... that's why I focus on getting the setup right at the very beginning... from the sand bed to the refugium, LS to LR, protein skimmer to Aquatronica... all is being planned to prepare the tank to be as self-sustainable as possible. Of course water change is still the cheapest way to maintain a reef tank... but not the easiest way :)

Don't see evaporation and heat as a problem at all :)

Jerv, Heat will not be a problem, However in an aircon room, water will evaraprate pretty fast especially if the aircon is on 24Hrs.

My Reefing Mission:-

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.

Jerv, Heat will not be a problem, However in an aircon room, water will evaraprate pretty fast especially if the aircon is on 24Hrs.

Nope the air con will not be on 24 hours a day... anyway evaporation may or MAY NOT be a bad thing. Depending if you are prepared for it or not.

For me, with Aquatronica in place and a reliable DI unit, evaporation can be seen as something positive... actually :lol: Not to mention making the air within the office less dry... now that's good for the ladies :lol:

Plz show one by one step of setting up ur tank.. (with more pic)

I will try to post more pix... but currently nothing much happening :lol:

Ok here's my plan for the sump and PHASE II. PHASE II will probably happen in November... I will build another 5ft cabinet to house more stuff :)

post-34-1157015759.jpg

Just came back from AM... nice pieces of LR :lol: Will let the rocks cure for 1 to 2 weeks before moving over to my tank :) I'm so glad AM is offering me this service... or else :sick:

I heard some reefers get their LR straight from the sea... without curing... nothing... now that's bad practice <_<

:bow: Good Service Award for AM :bow:

post-34-1157023183.jpg

Imagine all these inside my new tank... NO WAY MAN!!! :pinch:

Here's something to share with new reefers... if a LFS tells you cured and uncured rocks make no difference since you need to cycle the tank anyway... bullshit!!! Don't buy from them. Go for cured or semi-cured rocks... your family members will "love" you for that :lol:

post-34-1157023596.jpg

why huh? :rolleyes:

Coz you don't bring the SHIT back home and let it ROT in your living room... curing rock at home is one of the scariest thing a reefer will come to encounter... second worst actually... first being a total TANK CRASH :sick:

Since you will be setting a tank soon... make sure you dun bring home some uncured rocks... they are really really stinky :sick:

What's so difficult about curing ur own live rocks? all u need is a big blue tub, dump in the live rocks and run the skimmer for weeks or months.

i believe most reefers here have purchased LR directly from lfs before and no accounts of tank crashes.

If u wan truly cured rocks, might as well buy from fellow reefers instead of lfs.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

What's so difficult about curing ur own live rocks? all u need is a big blue tub, dump in the live rocks and run the skimmer for weeks or months.

i believe most reefers here have purchased LR directly from lfs before and no accounts of tank crashes.

If u wan truly cured rocks, might as well buy from fellow reefers instead of lfs.

Bro I didn't say uncured rocks lead to tank crashes... I think you misread my previous post. Furthermore, I didn't say curing rocks is difficult... I just say that it is not a very pleasant experience that reefers can learn to avoid.

And running some rocks in a big blue tub for weeks/months (as suggested by you) is not a very practical option as not everyone lives in a landed property :)

Bro I didn't say uncured rocks lead to tank crashes... I think you misread my previous post. Furthermore, I didn't say curing rocks is difficult... I just say that it is not a very pleasant experience that reefers can learn to avoid.

And running some rocks in a big blue tub for weeks/months (as suggested by you) is not a very practical option as not everyone lives in a landed property :)

opps... my bad. . . yea i get what u mean. .

curing live rocks is indeed a slightly troublesome process.

jervis, even when u bring the live rocks home, its better to leave it dry for 12 hours or so. . . u will see different worms n crabs crawling out of it. . .

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

jervis, even when u bring the live rocks home, its better to leave it dry for 12 hours or so. . . u will see different worms n crabs crawling out of it. . .

Silly... I would have already gotten rid most of the crabs and worms even before I transfer back to my tank... I will start to release traps with very delicious baits in 3 days time. :lol::lol::lol:

Can you explain why you recommend leaving the cured rocks dry for 12 hours?

Silly... I would have already gotten rid most of the crabs and worms even before I transfer back to my tank... I will start to release traps with very delicious baits in 3 days time. :lol::lol::lol:

Can you explain why you recommend leaving the cured rocks dry for 12 hours?

well. . . there's no specific timing on how long u sld leave e live rocks dry for.

Its just tt from my experience, no matter weather i purchase live rocks from fellow reefers of from lfs, there's still 1-2 crabs and some worms.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Emm... I guess there are many ways to get things done... but definitely I will not let my LR go dry after curing... sorta defeat the purpose of the entire exercise really :) I shall proceed with my plan as I feel more comfortable with it.

Just saw my sump tank... amazingly stunning... will reveal more in a few days time :)