Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

:(:cry::cry::cry2::cry2::cry2:

Wah so serious :o Ok let me go study the colony tomorrow... let me find a way to frag it without endangering the mother colony :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Partial FTS... still need to brush up my FTS photography skill... somehow doesn't look right :cry: The Red Prata in the foreground moved by one annoying hermit :erm:

Love your zoos :paiseh:

• SRC Member

Jervis, wonder if u wanna try shift ur beautiful zoas and clams close one another, U'll see the spread of the zoas to the shell of the clam and that might ne another wonderful sight to see. Maxima with Gem zoas :yeah::D

I got a friend whose clam shell are grown with red zoas. N its beauty combination :)

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Sis cannot frag leh... the rock is kinda thick also ;) Tell you what... I actually have another piece... slightly smaller than this piece :heh: Let me know if you have anything to exchange :eyebrow:

This offer is only available to Sis Waner...

Will post a pix of that piece tomorrow :look:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Love your zoos :paiseh:

I actually have more Zoas in my 2ft tank :P Maybe I should move some of them back to the main tank :heh:

very nice layout of sps hill. :bow: any lastest water para to share

Thanks bro KenYO... nothing compares to your school of Purple Queens :shock: Maybe we should exchange SPS frags :lol: I just bought some tools for fragging today :heh:

Latest water parameters (tested today at 5.15pm):

Specific Gravity: 1.027

Temperature: 25ºC to 26.5ºC

pH: 8.3 (Night) to 8.4 (Day)

kH: 9.0 to 9.5 dkH

Ammonia: Undetectable*

Nitrite: Undetectable*

Nitrate: 0.2ppm

Phosphate: Undetectable

Calcium: 380ppm

Magnesium: 1350ppm

* Tested 2 weeks ago

All parameters been very stable for the past 2 months... I am still doing weekly tests... kH almost every other day just to be sure... still struggling to bring up Calcium... as my Calcium Reactor is still not-in-action ;)

One thing for sure is... it is impossible to just rely on dosing alone (for Calcium) if following Grotech's recommended daily dosing :o Probably I have too many SPS right now and the consumption is sky high :shock:

Jervis, wonder if u wanna try shift ur beautiful zoas and clams close one another, U'll see the spread of the zoas to the shell of the clam and that might ne another wonderful sight to see. Maxima with Gem zoas :yeah::D

I got a friend whose clam shell are grown with red zoas. N its beauty combination :)

Not bad an idea actually... how about lumi GSP? They spread faster :lol: I will give it a try... stay tuned :lol:

Any pic of ur black tang?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Any pic of ur black tang?

Yes actually... just took today :lol:

Coz this is the first time I feed my tank Local Lettuce (bought from NTUC Fairprice for 90 cents) :lol:

Surprisingly... only the Black Tang reacted to it... and it sure knows how to go green :shock:

post-34-1174478360.jpg

Yes actually... just took today :lol:

Coz this is the first time I feed my tank Local Lettuce (bought from NTUC Fairprice for 90 cents) :lol:

Surprisingly... only the Black Tang reacted to it... and it sure knows how to go green :shock:

very healthy specimen.

jervis, what's the difference between normal black tang and hybrid black tang? :thanks:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

Here's another shot... damn... Blackie is so unphotogenic :pinch::pinch::pinch:

post-34-1174478675.jpg

very healthy specimen.

jervis, what's the difference between normal black tang and hybrid black tang? :thanks:

Very good question... I read an article specifically on Tangs (Coral Magazine, Tangs Edition) and according to the author:

1) My Hybrid Black Tang is a cross breed between a Black Tang and a Brown Tang

2) Hybrid Black Tangs are generally easier to keep and they are more forgiving... also slightly less aggressive compared to pure BT... probably the result of shared traits from Brown Tang

3) Both hybrid and pure is considered rare

Now if you ask me about pricing... I will say it really depends on supply/demand as it can be very subjective in the end of the day... but personally I really enjoy keeping this specimen as it is a rare hybrid... there isn't many photograph of it... making it very interesting... but on the other hand... somehow the Brown Tang association takes away some glamour :erm:

Very good question... I read an article specifically on Tangs (Coral Magazine, Tangs Edition) and according to the author:

1) My Hybrid Black Tang is a cross breed between a Black Tang and a Brown Tang

2) Hybrid Black Tangs are generally easier to keep and they are more forgiving... also slightly less aggressive compared to pure BT... probably the result of shared traits from Brown Tang

3) Both hybrid and pure is considered rare

Now if you ask me about pricing... I will say it really depends on supply/demand as it can be very subjective in the end of the day... but personally I really enjoy keeping this specimen as it is a rare hybrid... there isn't many photograph of it... making it very interesting... but on the other hand... somehow the Brown Tang association takes away some glamour :erm:

Thanks. I google on hybrid black tang and it came back with no results. Seems like its really uncommon.

Pricing wise, i believe its similar to any other black tang. Like what the author said, both hybrid n black tangs are rare.

Is it possible that a hybrid black tang is a cross between a black tang and another species of tang?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Is it possible that a hybrid black tang is a cross between a black tang and another species of tang?

Definitely possible... I mean if they can cross breed with a Brown Tang... I don't think anyone can stop them from mating with... say a Yellow Tang... but of course we will have to take the geographical aspect into consideration :nc:

Coz my BT actually has some silver speckles on its body, especially nearer to the face area... makes me wonder if it is a trait from Sailfin Tang or even Gem Tang (dream baby dream :lol: ) But that article confirmed the origin of my BT as it features a large photo of a Tang that looks exactly like mine :shock:

Do check out that magazine if you are really interested to learn more :)

Talking of fish health... actually I was very upset 2 days ago as I discovered THIS!!! Oh dear... what am I gonna do with 1 Helfrichi left? It's not that I can get a replacement that easily :cry:

Yesterday the fish went into hiding and totally ignored any food :cry2:

I did a search... can't find anything similar looking... the closest I can link is to a disease known as COTTON WOOL :nuke:

... to be continued :ooh:

post-34-1174479846.jpg

Definitely possible... I mean if they can cross breed with a Brown Tang... I don't think anyone can stop them from mating with... say a Yellow Tang... but of course we will have to take the geographical aspect into consideration :nc:

Coz my BT actually has some silver speckles on its body, especially nearer to the face area... makes me wonder if it is a trait from Sailfin Tang or even Gem Tang (dream baby dream :lol: ) But that article confirmed the origin of my BT as it features a large photo of a Tang that looks exactly like mine :shock:

Do check out that magazine if you are really interested to learn more :)

Thanks for the extra information.

Its definately possible to hown a gem tang, the lfs probably can order for anyone who's willing to fork out 2000sgd for it.

Come to think of it, not too much a price to pay compared to those people who play with kois, arowanas, discus etc which cost ten over thousands.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

I'm sure you will have to agree with me on this... being able to afford that $2000+ is one thing... able to keep it alive is another :(

What I truly believe is:

1) The reason these fishes can fetch such a high price is because they are rare... that means very litttle in the ocean

2) When keeping rare specimens... the owner will have great responsibilities in making sure that the fish will survive in his/her tank

If track record shows that his/her tank is not suitable in keeping ornamental fishes for a long period of time... the owner should do everybody a favour by not attempting any more... the owner can either decides to leave the specimen to someone else or simply ignore it (doing Mother Nature a favour)

But again... this is just my two cents :)

bro wat happen to the other 2 Helfrichi

I bought 3 specimens last November... 1 went missing after I came back from my Xmas London trip... cause of death... probabaly "third-party" syndrome... now left with 2 <_<

ur goby seems to have mustache growing on it :blink: Hope he starts feeding and a P.R in ur tank :)

Yalor... quite an unusual sight actually... and it looks kinda nice on my Helfrichi... looks natural :lol:

I can laugh now coz today... it has totally recovered... swimming in the open "ocean" most of the time and feeding back again :yeah::yeah::yeah:

• SRC Member
Sis cannot frag leh... the rock is kinda thick also ;) Tell you what... I actually have another piece... slightly smaller than this piece :heh: Let me know if you have anything to exchange :eyebrow:

This offer is only available to Sis Waner...

Will post a pix of that piece tomorrow :look:

ya got a lime us zoas to exchange if u r interested :lol:

ya got a lime us zoas to exchange if u r interested :lol:

Ok lah... wait for my pix :heh: