Going for long holidays

stingray

• SRC Member

Option one: Put everything on timer but will come home to see the glass covered with algae.

Option Two: Give your livestock away or tompang at friends' tanks and run minimal equipment to sustain LR/sand until you come back.

Option Three: Get someone to come to your place every 3-5 days and maintain a bit. Top-up water and feeding

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
What do u do to ur tank if u are going for a month's holdiay and there's no one at home to take care of ur tank?

This question has also been constantly in my mind for the past month since I am planning for a holiday soon...... trying to automate maintanence as much as possible now through dIYs of auto-top up system, lighting, pumps, etc..... don't have much time to trouble-shoot though :P

Anyone know if there is any marine fish hotels in Singapore? How much is charges?

I share your views, pets like dogs and cats have temporary adoption services. But in this type of hobby it is so difficult to find a place where we can "tompang" our coral and fishes. No such service caused headaches for people going on holiday, doing renovation, moving house or simply upgrading to a larger tank. Just wondering whether got anyone got such services, I don't mind paying a sum of money for the days our LS are taken care of.

• SRC Member

Hi...

Those LFS you know can usually help you to house them temporary...but then, they will not responsible for any fatal incident!

But again, look at the way some LFS handle the LS, err....I think the LS have a better survival chance in your own tank, even tho you are not around.....

:eyebrow:

And my own opinion is Good LFS who will handle with care, no space for you....bochap type, they got plenty of space.... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

It really depends. For short holidays, say about 5-7 days, no need to feed in an established reef. For slightly longer, you might want to get an automatic feeder to dispense small pellets maybe once a week. Having people that don't keep marine to take care of your fish is likely to invite problems like overfeeding. But whatever method you choose, try it a few times before you go on holiday, and don't add anything new at least a month before u go on holiday. Any automated feeders should be in use awhile before you leave so u know they won't be problems. Can your tank survive if there is a short power failure? will anything go wrong if the power suddenly goes off and on again? you'll have to test it.