SOHO reef

yvoneysl

• SRC Member

Hi all...finally after 3 months of R & D...my first marine set up after many years of experience in planted tank. Location of the main tank is between dining room & home office with 3 sided views.

Have not confirm the tank size yet still need many rounds of discussion with my tank maker. The basic ideal is to have the sump & all noisey equipments like chiller & pumps away from the display tank. The best location is the bathroom :evil:

Here's the plan

post-34-1156843645.jpg

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Bro/Sis,

You are going to have a big headache with the plumbing.... Will need a big return pump with enough head distance .. Maybe can list out the dimensions of your tank and sump so fellow reefers can provide more advise.

Wow... seems like a very major project over there... not bad an idea actually as long as the plumbing/piping works are done properly. To have overhead pipes can be a real problem as there will be too much head loss... you probably require a hell of a giant pump for that purpose (not forgetting the far distance the water gotto travel). Other than that... I love the idea... imagine messing around with the sump inside the bathroom... PERFECT!!! No mess, no sweat (coz probably you'll be ######) and right after that can take your shower :lol::lol::lol:

Another Reef Central quality setup :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I have a suggestion.

Possible to swap places between the sump and your wash basin? Think its will be easier to change the piping for the wash basin than to stretch the piping across the whole bathroom for the sump. ;)

That is a great idea... and maybe remove/seal the toilet bowl also... turn the entire bathroom into a sump room. The chiller will work better near the windows though :P

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Here's the sump elevation

1st level

Sump tank with exterior pumps, FR, & skimmer. My main concern is the pump that need to delivery water back to the main tank, will foresee great head loss.

2nd level

3ft Refugium with 4 nos of T5 tube (This is one of my exisitng planted tank) Tank height is 2ft so might go with 4" DSB with live rock and lot of mirco algae. This tank will also use to keep marine invertebrates.

3rd level

Existing Chiller & storage tank (This is another exisitng planted tank)

All comments are welcome :lol:

post-34-1156845973.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks reef friends for all the contributuion in my thread :thanks:

Bro jervismun you just give me an ideal :idea:

I have one 5ft by 3ft by 2ft fiber glass tank that used to keep koi, can convert it into a jacuzzi ###### sump by adding 4 nos of tunze 6200 inside :evil:

post-34-1156853617.jpg

• SRC Member

I'm using eheim 1262 rated 3400 I/h to delivery water from sump to chiller then to refugium.

The refugium measure 3 ft length by 1.5 ft width by 2ft height, water volume is about 200L

But if possible will T-off about 600 I for the FR

Power consumption is 80W

For return pump to main tank I have no ideal at this moment cos have not confirm the tank size yet.

• SRC Member
Can assure you keeping marine is cheaper than Koi :lol::lol::lol:

bro i dont think so man ... haha .. i have some kois in my pond... important from japan ... initial cost might be high due to the prices of the fish and the pond ... but i guess in the long run marine will cost more.. :o

You need a Barracuda return pump or something of that capacity. I only have 2 concerns over your sump area (aka shower area):

1) Don't you think it will be better to have the chiller to the right (nearer to the windows)? Looking at your total volume... this huge chiller will produce a scary amount of heat and having the heat trapped around the left corner of the bathroom may not be the best idea.

2) Your skimmer is exposed to the refugium lighting. This will make your skimmer maintenance more frequent (especially on the body of the skimmer nearer to the neck). Perhaps you want to add a solid partition to block the light :)

I will study your ideas in greater details... keep the ideas coming... it's better to face the problems NOW then to discover them LATER :o

• SRC Member
I'm using eheim 1262 rated 3400 I/h to delivery water from sump to chiller then to refugium.

The refugium measure 3 ft length by 1.5 ft width by 2ft height, water volume is about 200L

But if possible will T-off about 600 I for the FR

Power consumption is 80W

For return pump to main tank I have no ideal at this moment cos have not confirm the tank size yet.

may be u can try ocean runner pump..low voltage high current,,u can oso use those chiller tht use coil type..den u can save 1 pump to pump..hope u understand my english :)

Emm... the heat from the chiller is getting too near your refugium which will feed back into your main tank... :nc: