SOHO reef

yvoneysl

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

After some intensive reading on the concept of plenum in varius websites & even some debates on DSB vs plenum (actually only the whole sunday afternoon :paiseh: ...)

like the idea of having a remote plenum system (not in the main display tank) very much.

Here I go

1" PVC pipes to create the 'basement'

post-34-1161577856.jpg

Bro you might wanna add another layer of extra small netting... sand tends to dissolve over time and they will clog your Plenum gap :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

plenum is a very effective system, but not set up properly spill more trouble for the reefer normally .

i heard cannot use argonite sand for plenum system. am i correct ?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Here's my understanding about aragonite sand;

Aragonite sand is good, very low in silica (that cause diatom blooms)

As the calcium content gradually dissolves, it will shrink over time and the need to add sand will become apparent over a years time.

This is why bro jervis advise me to add another layer of extra small netting for this reason.

This is not a problem as can reseed by adding new live sand.

When adding live sand, only add 1/2" or less per week, otherwise will risk smothering the critters underneath. B)

When adding live sand, only add 1/2" or less per week, otherwise will risk smothering the critters underneath. B)

Wow this is something very well thought of... I guess it depends on what kinda live sand you will be using ultimately... for my case, I dun suppose some packed Nature's Ocean Live Aragonite contains much critters... but if you are transferring live aragonite from some existing tank... yeah perhaps a gradual process will ensure the most out of all the goodness :)

Do keep us posted bro... since your tank is not far behind than mine... we can still explore things together :P

Oh and be it normal sand or aragonite... they will dissolve over time :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Some more useful information form Anthony Calfo :peace:

.....Compositionally, any substrate you choose is almost certain to be made of aragonite or calcite. Both are forms of calcium carbonate, but arguably aragonite is to be favored for it better solubility and buffering capacity in seawater (providing necessary bio-minerals, buffering pH, and supporting calcification). Aragonite can begin to dissolve, in fact, at a high pH over 8.0 (a still safe level for marine life), while calcite does not readily dissolve until the pH falls well below 8.0. This means that calcite is not likely to impart any significant benefits (buffers/alkalinity) into the water until the pH falls to a level that is too dangerous for most marine life.In this regard, the old argument of dolomite & crushed coral versus non-calcareous freshwater "gravel" for marine aquariums in the early days was a moot point (they were all calcite)....

This will justifiy why people willing to pay hundreds of $$$ on aragonite sand. :sick:

• SRC Member

Everyone is talking about BK skimmer now... ;)

But I'm still very proud to introduce my chosen one- Schuran 150 :peace:

Collected from bro iceman yesterday night, as good as a brand new set.

(After thoroughly washing by myself, obversely he never clean toilet bowl before) :evil:

post-34-1161671875.jpg

Everyone is talking about BK skimmer now... ;)

But I'm still very proud to introduce my chosen one- Schuran 150 :peace:

Collected from bro iceman yesterday night, as good as a brand new set.

(After thoroughly washing by myself, obversely he never clean toilet bowl before) :evil:

:yeah: look like a new one that has just gone through a rinse only :yeah:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Schuran Jetskim is a good piece of equipment. . . some more can tee-off to your calcium reactor when u get one in the future.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Yes, very well maintain by bro iceman. :peace: must praise him for that :thanks:

He takes care of his equipment, plus since he place out-sump, will not get stains or algae so easily. Good buy!!!! :P

Enjoy your new skimmer, post some pics when its hooked up.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
Here's what I've been up to lately. Working on this PVC piping for my chiller & refugium. Water need to be pump up 7 ft high form sump to chiller. Base on Eheim 1262 flow chart, I think only left about 2000I/h... :cry2: cannot T-off to FR anymore

must say, your pvc piping bends are all done very neatly... how you do that?

• SRC Member
must say, your pvc piping bends are all done very neatly... how you do that?

It not difficult but very hard to explain in words, will try to make one and take some photos over the weekend to show the whole procedures. :eyeblur:

• SRC Member
Here's my understanding about aragonite sand;

Aragonite sand is good, very low in silica (that cause diatom blooms)

As the calcium content gradually dissolves, it will shrink over time and the need to add sand will become apparent over a years time.

This is why bro jervis advise me to add another layer of extra small netting for this reason.

This is not a problem as can reseed by adding new live sand.

Bro, just some caution to Jaubert plenum style sand bed.. The size of sand grain & depth of each layer must be followed to exact precision.

The trick is: The total depth and grain size must be in such proportion such that the void water column is low in oxygen level but not totally deprived (Hydrogen Sulphide will be produced in such circumstances) of it..

Alot of reefers reported failure in such system because of overlook in the areas of choosing grain size & required depth for each layers...

To cut long story short. i have a book dedicated to the setup of Jaubert style system by Bob Goemans.. U can borrow it if u need... It's exciting to see someone setting up based on this concept and all the wonderful benefits this system can reap... Cheers for u, bro

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

• SRC Member
To cut long story short. i have a book dedicated to the setup of Jaubert style system by Bob Goemans.. U can borrow it if u need... It's exciting to see someone setting up based on this concept and all the wonderful benefits this system can reap... Cheers for u, bro

YES! I want :bow:

Let me know when & where convenient for you to meet up for coffee

(I stay & work in punggol hope you're not from jurong west west :sick: )

YES! I want :bow:

Let me know when & where convenient for you to meet up for coffee

(I stay & work in punggol hope you're not from jurong west west :sick: )

Can I have a piece of the pie too? My Phase 2 will consist of a rather large tank to be utilized for nutrient exporting too... :)