24G Nanocube Cracked

kennygms

Hi fellow Nanocube tank owners,

Kindly check if anyone out there encountered this disaster?

The incident happened on 310806, just when i was about to go to work on this rainy morning, i suddenly heard a loud creaking sound and saw water gushing out of the tank.

I am left with no choice but to temporary transfer all my fishes and liverocks into a temporary storage box with powerhead and air pumps on while i go in search of a new tank. But before i go ahead to get a new tank, i would like to check if anyone out there encountered this or if it is my luck to be cught in this situation.

Cheers!

:angry:

Hi fellow Nanocube tank owners,

Kindly check if anyone out there encountered this disaster?

The incident happened on 310806, just when i was about to go to work on this rainy morning, i suddenly heard a loud creaking sound and saw water gushing out of the tank.

I am left with no choice but to temporary transfer all my fishes and liverocks into a temporary storage box with powerhead and air pumps on while i go in search of a new tank. But before i go ahead to get a new tank, i would like to check if anyone out there encountered this or if it is my luck to be cught in this situation.

Cheers!

:angry:

:shock::shock::shock:

just crack without any warning ??

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

It happens a lot in the U.S.

That's the problem with production in China... even Sony laptop batteries can cause explosion... :o May burst into flame (BBC described it).

If you ever gonna get a new tank, get a custom tank with at least 8mm (for 2 to 3 ft) and 12mm (larger) good quality glass.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

no joke... I own a 24g cube since last November till now.. and everything's seem to be fine, there are some reefers who own this cube too, so far have not heard about cracking except for US which weather condition are much dynamic, either extrem cold or hot and the tank can't stand the pressure, therefore crack.

Maybe you can call the dealer and ask for an exchange if your cube is left than 6 months or 1 year, can't remember... whether it carry a 6 months or 1 year warranty ??

i ever did that before, when i first bought and the foldable part that support the hood and cube broken and i call the number and that guy replace me with the broken parts.

Personally i think the cube glass thickness is quite thin.. touch wood... if it happen to me.. i guess i will give up this hobby.

Another thing is that the folderable feeding tray.. have you ever leave it open and accidently knot it down... cause it happen to me a few time and it really create a loud impact to the tank even though the external layer was protected by Plastic.

maybe that cause the tank to crack ??? you thin so ?

BTW. if you need to buy a new cube with stand.. let me know cos i have a friend who bought new and use for 2 weeks and discommission the tank, very new.. with the S tank, selling at $170.

There are also 2 versions of Nano Cubes out there. The first version is with thinner glass. After much "cracking" incidents in the US, they came out with the second version with slightly thicker glass (by 2mm I think). Probably you are using one of the older versions.

My advice, don't get another Nano Cube. Get a proper setup. (I started the hobby with a 24G Nano Cube too, older version).

If you guys wondering if yours is the new or old version.

Take my old NC as a guide, got it from the sole distributor.

Bought it around March/April 06 (I think) and it is still the old version.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

For a moment, reefers actually boycotted the nanocube. I think it is also about cracking issues. You must be a very blessed man to have the tank crack when you are still home. Otherwise i can imagine the disaster it would have caused. :unsure::(

Hope everything is ok.

Take the opportunity to upgrade to a 2ft cube (at least) :lol::lol::lol:

Take the opportunity to upgrade to a 2ft cube (at least) :lol::lol::lol:

yeah ! 2 feet cube is a good size !

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

yeah ! 2 feet cube is a good size !

I know you would jump in... little Hamster :lol::lol::lol:

i have mine since may 2005. no problem yet.. touch wood.

may 2005 to june 2006 - saltwater nano

jul 2006 - present - freshwater shrimp nano.

only issue is the stand starting to warp so the door is abit jammed.

due to water getting into the wood la ( i make quite a mess during waterchanges). solution = saw the door haha